Welcome and exit sound missing

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Gonzalo_VC

Welcome and exit sound missing

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Sep 2013 19:16

Dear all,
when KDE starts, as well as when we log-off, a sound is played. But lately, I can't hear any sound (different machines, with hardware with SolysK64 show the same behavior).
Is it a newer kernel issue? Or something else in the updates?

Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
SolydXK, GALPon MiniNo, PCLinuxOS, Xubuntu

zerozero

Re: Welcome and exit sound missing

Postby zerozero » 23 Sep 2013 21:10

they are disabled in this last update
snapshot137.png
systemsettings > application and system notification
bliss of ignorance

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 23 Sep 2013 21:24

I'll check that out, thanks!

GNU/Linux user 451206

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 24 Sep 2013 03:07

Thank you for that zerozero. i too had been wondering what I'd done wrong. :lol:

I know you devs just sit around all day with nothing to do, waiting for inspiration to strike. :roll: Just to help fill in that time perhaps some sort of notice of all changes made when an update release occurs (or at least those that the Solyd team have been testing) could be included in the blog notification.

I'm not technically savvy enough to put myself forward for the testing team so I'm not sure what's involved but I can appreciate that the team is under pressure to meet a deadline. However, If you've taken the time to test a system/software/upgrade change maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to add one extra step to log the changes to form the basis of a release notification.

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 24 Sep 2013 11:37

Odo, it is a complex subject.
But I think, too, that some warnings could be given to us, specially the important ones (kernel stuff, device manager, important updates, etc.). Some other minor things like this welcome sound, etc., could circulate in the G+ page and some other blogs, perhaps... I don't know, if some experienced users take the time to warn us.

I'm not a "power user", and I use SolydXK in my working (university) machines, so beta-testing is out of the question for me. In fact I chose the distro betting is rock solid ;) like the father (Debian), but more updated in some packages I use daily, like Libreoffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.
I try to help the distro in other ways, including posting questions (and perhaps answers) here and at G+, and promoting it among new and other users... and installing it (I administrate half a dozen machines, and have installed it for other two users, too).

Cheers!

GNU/Linux user 451206

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 24 Sep 2013 12:29

Gonzalo_VC wrote:I try to help the distro in other ways,
Yeah, I try to do the same but I don't get around forums very much (G+ and Facebook are anathema to me). I just try to do what I can. Unfortunately, most people in here at the moment are 'power users' so I'm more on the receiving end and not able to help much. Hopefully, as the forum (and my knowledge) grows, that'll change.

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 24 Sep 2013 12:36

odo5435 wrote:
Yeah, I try to do the same... Hopefully, as the forum (and my knowledge) grows, that'll change.
Sure, my friend. We don't need to be super-power geeks to help each other. I'm sure I'm no "Linus Stallman" :lol: but sometimes, as we are using the OS all day long, we figure out good things (and bugs) and sharing here is extremely positive.
Cheers!

GNU/Linux user 451206

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 24 Sep 2013 14:33

Gonzalo_VC wrote:like the father (Debian)
the father is very flexible: oldstable, stable, testing, unstable, experimental, the choice can be delicate :)

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 25 Sep 2013 19:10

Gonzalo_VC wrote:
odo5435 wrote:
Yeah, I try to do the same... Hopefully, as the forum (and my knowledge) grows, that'll change.
Sure, my friend. We don't need to be super-power geeks to help each other. I'm sure I'm no "Linus Stallman" :lol: but sometimes, as we are using the OS all day long, we figure out good things (and bugs) and sharing here is extremely positive.
Cheers!
"Linus Stallman" ! :lol:
or did you mean to say Richard Torvalds :lol:

Gonzalo_VC

Postby Gonzalo_VC » 25 Sep 2013 19:59

Crewp wrote: "Linus Stallman" ! :lol:
or did you mean to say Richard Torvalds :lol:
No. Richard Torvalds is his cousin :D

PS: just in case somebody don't get my joke, it was on purpose to use crossed names in my original post, OK!!?? ;)

GNU/Linux user 451206

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”