[Solved] Style won't change from Oxygen

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
TeaSwigger

[Solved] Style won't change from Oxygen

Postby TeaSwigger » 10 Oct 2013 00:52

Yes, it is true, I am fussy about the appearance and every few days I like to change the wallpaper and the looks (style, colors, icons etc) to suit it. Fortunately KDE is beautiful and customizable. 8-) But for some reason, the style won't change after the latest update pack (I actually made a fresh install before the latest update pack and everything is otherwise working perfectly).

If I go to System Settings > Style and select (for example) QTCurve style and click Apply, it appears to work. The System Settings takes on the new setting and running apps (for example, Akregator) will take on the new setting. But: then open an app (Dolphin for example, or even close and reopen System Settings) and it is still using Oxygen! It never keeps the new setting. If you go back to System Settings > Style, it shows the style you selected, even though everything is ignoring it and still using Oxygen. Logging out and back in makes no difference.

In case it matters, some details: using NVIDIA drivers (DDM recommended, installed with DDM); desktop effects settings are: Composting type: OpenGL 1.2 (videos can be choppy if I use any other type) and Raster. I have installed oxygen-transparent and QTCurve installed from the repos.
"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright" -Bill Withers

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

zerozero

Re: Style won't change from Oxygen

Postby zerozero » 10 Oct 2013 01:21

believe it or not i've been good part of the night struggling with the same problem.
a few days ago i noticed that with bespin (reported here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 023#p16023), in the meantime i forgot about it but already had enough of oxygen so tonight i tried and there's no way :shock:
several qtcurve themes, bespin again, none stick.

ohh and btw completely different setup from yours
intel drivers
compositing:
openGL 3.1
native
bliss of ignorance

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 10 Oct 2013 07:08

zerozero wrote:believe it or not i've been good part of the night struggling with the same problem.
a few days ago i noticed that with bespin (reported here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 023#p16023), in the meantime i forgot about it but already had enough of oxygen so tonight i tried and there's no way :shock:
several qtcurve themes, bespin again, none stick.

ohh and btw completely different setup from yours
intel drivers
compositing:
openGL 3.1
native
Hm yes that is the same problem on your completely different setup. I'm getting too much oxygen! :mrgreen: It's nice to call this kind of thing a "problem" but I do love a beautiful styled system so I hope there's at least a work around until its fixed.

I've tried creating a new user. The new account behaves the same. The oxygen is stuck on.

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 10 Oct 2013 22:58

i believe that our oxygen spell is finally broken :lol:
with the help of spacepenguin (from our friend siduction http://siduction.org/index.php?name=PNp ... 2998#32998) that a few days ago had the same issue

- do a backup-copy of ~/.config/Trolltech.conf (just in case)
- in ~/.config/Trolltech.conf (near the top) look for the [Qt] section and remove

Code: Select all

style=Oxygen
save, logout/in; you should be able to change styles again.
bliss of ignorance

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 11 Oct 2013 00:05

zerozero wrote:i believe that our oxygen spell is finally broken :lol:
Brilliant. This fix worked for me as well. Thanks to spacepenguin and yourself. :)

Now to readjust to the normal variable atmosphere. :mrgreen:

werkman2

Re: [Solved] Style won't change from Oxygen

Postby werkman2 » 12 Oct 2013 01:36

((((i believe that our oxygen spell is finally broken :lol:
with the help of spacepenguin (from our friend siduction http://siduction.org/index.php?name=PNp ... 2998#32998) that a few days ago had the same issue

- do a backup-copy of ~/.config/Trolltech.conf (just in case)
- in ~/.config/Trolltech.conf (near the top) look for the [Qt] section and remove

Code: Select all
style=Oxygen

save, logout/in; you should be able to change styles again.))))

brilliant, this fix worked for my crappy intel graphics, i could change style, but transperancy would get lost...
your fix helped
solydk kernel 3.12-rc6
system, old crappy dell vostro 1510

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”