Password entry corrupted

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Graybyrd

Password entry corrupted

Postby Graybyrd » 04 Dec 2013 05:23

Device: Itronix 260+ GoBook, 32 bit, SolydK '686-PAE installation. Latest update pack.

Problem: had a forced restart (machine hangup on usb device insertion). Result: Reboot, password screen appears, typing disabled. No cursor, no characters. Dead. Must press power key to force restart/shutdown. Reoccurs with each startup attempt.

Can start in failsafe/cli entry mode. Is there something I can call up or reinstall from nano or apt-get? Hoping not to have to wipe/reinstall 'K on laptop; had just gotten it all set up where I wanted it. Thanks.

old_guy

Re: Password entry corrupted

Postby old_guy » 04 Dec 2013 19:28

Graybyrd
If you can boot to the cli - can yoy login and run startx ?
If so I would reinstall kdm from synaptic. If you can't get in with startx
at the cli try:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall kdm
Earl

Graybyrd

Postby Graybyrd » 05 Dec 2013 18:01

old_guy: thanks for the advice. invoking 'startx' produces a screen but it stalls before getting to pw entry; apt-get --reinstall is not recognized; aptitude --reinstall kdm did reinstall ok, but did not solve the problem. Password entry won't accept input; system hangs. Wish I knew what config file or ?? got corrupted, so I could reset/replace it.

I'm able to bring up 'safe' mode and see the root cli, but don't know what to do from there. I can't get past that corrupted pw entry gui.

old_guy

Postby old_guy » 05 Dec 2013 19:20

Graybyrd
If you changed to autologin - would you then get in?

File:
/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc

shows:

[X-:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=false
AutoLoginLocked=false
AutoLoginUser=earl
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors

If that was changed to - true

would you get in?

Earl

Graybyrd

Postby Graybyrd » 06 Dec 2013 09:32

Thanks for that ... I used nano to make the changes; the startup was able to go past the password screen stage and resume another SolydK splash screen ... which then stalled.

Apparently something fundamental has happened with this Itronix 260+ GoBook, as I'm not able to get past that exact same spot while trying to boot it from the live DVD. It boots up, gets to the sequence of splash screens, and stalls part way through that 'progress bar' indicator. I've had a couple times where the screen display broke up in streaks ... something is conflicting. (I've gone through the BIOS startup options on the laptop prior to OS boot, but see nothing that applies.)

Edit: it boots from the DVD in "compatibility" mode. Also, this is a Pentium "M" processor, and somehow SolydK has been running the 686-PAE kernel on it. (Puppy Linux 686 stops with an error; it won't load) It may be that I've got the wrong install and may have to wipe and redo it. But it won't start in 486 mode from the HD screen ... same stall.

So ... we're way beyond the simple PW fault ...

Thanks for your spot-on advice, old_guy. It helped me isolate the problems.

Gray

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”