pre-install calligra

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Kraig

pre-install calligra

Postby Kraig » 23 Mar 2013 15:15

you can pre-install calligra instead of libreoffice (and gimp)?
http://www.calligra-suite.org
if not, what are the reasons.

xfce version, will of course remain with libreoffice.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: pre-install calligra

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Mar 2013 16:51

Short: LibreOffice is better known, and will attract more starting users than Calligra.

A bit longer explanation:
It's all about marketing: even when Calligra is a better suite, LibreOffice is already known by a lot of people.
Also, rembember SolydK's history: as the unofficial LMDE KDE it was required to be as similar as possible to LMDE. Changing too much in this early stage of a new distribution would mean introducing risks that will not benefit SolydXK.

However, if you do have valuable arguments to change SolydK and replace LibreOffice by Calligra, I'd consider it.
SolydX is a different story altogether: no LibreOffice, and as far as I'm concerned, it'll stay that way.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Evil-K

Postby Evil-K » 24 Mar 2013 14:07

I'd still keep the LibreOffice suite instead of Calligra, since Calligra still currently lacks the ability to save as Microsoft Office files. This is the only reason I prefer LibreOffice: it has functionality I can't do without.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

wizard97_4

Postby wizard97_4 » 24 Mar 2013 14:20

Schoelje wrote:SolydX is a different story altogether: no LibreOffice, and as far as I'm concerned, it'll stay that way.
what a pity, why? :cry:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Mar 2013 14:49

wizard97_4 wrote:
Schoelje wrote:SolydX is a different story altogether: no LibreOffice, and as far as I'm concerned, it'll stay that way.
That's simple: when I created the unofficial LMDE Xfce, the community decided about which software was to be included. They preferred to keep it as simple and light as possible and LO did not fit in that picture.

SolydXK needs you!

longtom

Postby longtom » 24 Mar 2013 20:13

Schoelje wrote:
wizard97_4 wrote:
That's simple: when I created the unofficial LMDE Xfce, the community decided about which software was to be included. They preferred to keep it as simple and light as possible and LO did not fit in that picture.
Fair enough. It's easy enough to add it if you choose to have it.
Regards

longtom

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 24 Mar 2013 22:32

Yeah, unfortunately LibreOffice is kind of a memory hog (at least on old systems). IIRC, I was one of the people who supported using Abiword/gnumeric over LibreOffice. I use libreoffice on my main install, but on my old machine (also SolydX) I don't.

As for Calligra, it's always been one of the most interesting parts for me about KDE. However, from a distribution standpoint, I'd be for keeping libreoffice.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 25 Mar 2013 01:05

i was one (probably the only one :lol: ) that proposed calligra (together with rekonq) and understood then and understand now why LO was preferred: is more compatible (calligra is getting there but not yet); is de-facto the standard office-suite in the linux world and is a much more recognized brand.
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Mar 2013 07:05

...and, this is important for the continuity of SolydXK, is better integrated with other software:
LibreOffice now integrates with Content Management Systems and online document storage via the CMIS standard. This allows you to access directly documents stored on ECM systems, be they Open Source like Alfresco, Nuxeo or proprietary, like Microsoft SharePoint.

SolydXK needs you!

wizard97_4

Postby wizard97_4 » 25 Mar 2013 08:04

longtom wrote:Fair enough. It's easy enough to add it if you choose to have it.
Quite agree, not really difficult.

Regarding lightness, GIMP, FF, Thunderbird were probably not references (heavier than LO in RAM), if a pc with SolydX can run them...
If it was to make a distribution for non-geeks (not fan of KDE), GIMP + FF + Thunderbird + LO seemed most appropriate (LO is a standard If I read others).

How many people have LO and how many stay with Abiword+gnumeric... we can see some topics concerning LO installation in the forum. :)
Maybe, it's a pity to limit XFCE to it's "lightness" (less and less true unfortunately) or consider that XFCE = only old pc. :?

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 25 Mar 2013 10:50

The thing is that Abiword and Gnumeric, while admittedly not anywhere near libreoffice, are functional and reasonably well featured. The light firefox alternative is Midori, and it is missing too many essential features. The light Thunderbird alternative I've seen (and there may be others) is Geary, which, last time I checked, didn't support POP emails and was mostly geared towards using gmail. There is always a tradeoff between light and fully featured; SolydX's purpose is to be lighter and, therefore, to have more basic but less resource intensive applications.

I use SolydX on my laptop, which is pretty new and can handle any desktop easily. SolydX is just more versatile than SolydK; it will install on older hardware.

Also, say I have to write a letter (or whatever) in a word processing application and I want to run firefox because I'm copying and pasting things from some website into this letter (basically a use case where both the word processor and firefox are running). In the case of LO + firefox, there would be more overall RAM usage than in the case of AbiWord + Firefox. So with each lighter application (ristretto, abiword/gnumeric, mousepad, exaile, xfburn, etc), it improves how lightweight the overall system is. People run a few programs at a time, so it all piles up eventually if there are too many heavy applications.

I definitely may be wrong (probably am), but I don't recall seeing any topics concerning trouble with LO installation (except when people wanted LO 4, which applies to both SolydX and SolydK).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing