[WORKAROUND] System hang on switching to ALT+Fx tty console

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
sumitb

[WORKAROUND] System hang on switching to ALT+Fx tty console

Postby sumitb » 18 Mar 2014 14:51

I am having this issue since last 15-20 days. Sometimes, if I switch to a text mode console using one of the ALT+Fx (x=1,2,3...) combination, and then try to switch back to the GUI console using ALT+F8, the switch doesn't happen. Instead the system hangs displaying the text console and no combination of keys work to revive it, other than Ctrl+Alt+Del. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del multiple times eventually reboots the system without displaying anything.

This mostly happens when the laptop is running since some time and there are few apps open like Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome etc. But there are no heating issues, i can confirm that.

This is getting very annoying since it happens during my office hours also, where I use the system extensively in this way, i.e. switching between text and GUI consoles. There aren't any 3rd party repos / ppas added except for WebUpd8 java PPA for Java 7. That I think will not cause any harm as it is just a script that downloads and installs an actual deb file from Oracle servers.

If anybody has an idea about it, please let me know. I am not sure what information will be required to troubleshoot this, so whatever it is please let me know and I will paste that here.
Machine: Lenovo G580, Corei5-3210M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Intel HD4000, Seagate 500GB HDD, Intel HD-ALC269VC Audio, Broadcom BCM4313 WLAN, Atheros AR8162 LAN, Broadcom BCM20702A0 BT

Alt OS: Windows 8.1 x64

ScottQuier

Re: System hang on switching to ALT+Fx tty console

Postby ScottQuier » 18 Mar 2014 15:13

Your GUI desktop is on tty7, so instead of Alt-F8, try Alt-F7
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

sumitb

Postby sumitb » 18 Mar 2014 15:21

Ya, actually I tried both. In fact after it gets into hanged state, I try all the ALT+Fn key combinations but it doesn't work at all. It doesn't even switch to any text consoles also. I have tested this everytime the situation occurs.
Machine: Lenovo G580, Corei5-3210M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Intel HD4000, Seagate 500GB HDD, Intel HD-ALC269VC Audio, Broadcom BCM4313 WLAN, Atheros AR8162 LAN, Broadcom BCM20702A0 BT

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 18 Mar 2014 17:35

Now that I'm on my SolydK machine I did a quick test. It's not Alt-Fx, it's Ctrl-Alt-Fx to move from one tty to another.

And, the SolydXK desktop is on tty7 so it's Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to it.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 18 Mar 2014 18:57

i might be wrong (won't be the first time :lol: ) but isn't that problem similar to this one >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... outh#p9974 :?:
bliss of ignorance

sumitb

Postby sumitb » 18 Mar 2014 21:54

@ScottQuier: Yes, you are right. That was a typing mistake from my side. However, as I said, the switching itself is working. And, I can confirm, on my system its not Ctrl+Alt+F7, its F8. F7 is the screen where boot messages / plymouth is displayed.

@zerozero : Yes, it was exactly the same and I found a way to work around it without disabling plymouth splash. This doesn't happen unless I press the Ctrl+Alt+F7 combination. If I accidentally do press it, I am able to revive the situation by pressing ALT+SysRq+K key combination (some kind of reset of X.org server or KDM I guess) and then pressing CTRL+ALT+F8. The reset doesn't cause any harm and all the programs that were running before in GUI are still there, everything intact. So its not like the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE kind of thing. :)

Marking this as WORKAROUND for now, but this should not happen. Never happened with me before on any other distro. :-|

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”