Graphical problems

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
MatthewLM

Re: Graphical problems

Postby MatthewLM » 12 May 2014 18:17

I went ahead and did the unannounced update and the problems are just the same, and this is regardless of what compositing system I use.

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 12 May 2014 21:44

Ok, this borders on the weird. :shock:

I updated Firefox to 29.0.1 and, after some mild testing, it appears that my graphical issue has been solved. I will report back if I ever get out of the Twilight Zone, but as of right now, if you have an intel display card that has been having issues with SolydK, run the update manager and see if Firefox 29.0.1 helps.

Excuse me while I ask William Shatner if that creature is still on the plane's wing. :lol:

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 13 May 2014 07:52

I'm on Firefox 29.0.1. After the system update my problems only seem to have become more persistent. I have to always have desktop effects disabled, since the glitches are too annoying. I can use the computer like this but it's not very nice.

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 13 May 2014 11:53

Ah, shoot. So much for the easy solution. Perhaps it might help others, but I suspected it was too simple a solution to help more than a limited few.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 13 May 2014 19:59

Would any of this fix our graphic issues?
http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/10.1.2.html

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 18 May 2014 02:10

Follow-up

Until now, nothing that I tried worked consistently on my lenovo T430s, except disabling desktop effects. And, I will admit, it was starting to get on my nerves. However, when rummaging for ideas, I stumbled across an ArchWiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

which discusses how intel uses triple buffering, making vertical synchronization unecessary.

So, heading to System Settings,

Desktop Effects > Advanced > Tearing Prevention

And I changed Tearing Prevention to none.

Two reboots, and the problem has not returned (OpenGL 3.1, Raster). It might be worth an experiment.

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 18 May 2014 02:23

Dr G wrote:Follow-up

Until now, nothing that I tried worked consistently on my lenovo T430s, except disabling desktop effects. And, I will admit, it was starting to get on my nerves. However, when rummaging for ideas, I stumbled across an ArchWiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

which discusses how intel uses triple buffering, making vertical synchronization unecessary.

So, heading to System Settings,

Two reboots, and the problem has not returned (OpenGL 3.1, Raster). It might be worth an experiment.
Three more reboots, and the graphical distortions have not reappeared.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 18 May 2014 02:24

Dr G wrote:Desktop Effects > Advanced > Tearing Prevention

Thanks for that;
it seems to have solved (too soon to tell for sure) the problems here as well.
bliss of ignorance

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 18 May 2014 02:27

Dr G wrote: Two reboots, and the problem has not returned (OpenGL 3.1, Raster). It might be worth an experiment.
Ya, thanks for the update. One guess what I'm going to be doing for the next 30 to 60 minutes :lol:
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 18 May 2014 03:24

Dr G wrote: So, heading to System Settings,

I've done the same thing and it's working for me .... so far.

If this works, I can't believe someone hasn't caught it before now! ;)

ETA: After serveral reboots and more testing, I think this problem is solved for me! Here's what I have on that settings tab:
DesktopEffect.jpg
Scott

belgiumsolydk

Postby belgiumsolydk » 19 May 2014 12:00

just to confirm that this solution also works with my machine.
Thanks!

wyrdoak

Postby wyrdoak » 19 May 2014 22:57

The old XP netbook works with Raster, the newer Win7 netbook I still have to run Qt native, but all the eye candy work great on both with the OpenGL 3.1 setting with no VSync. Both use SolydK 32bit

Acer Aspire One AO532h; CPU Atom n450 1.66Gh: 2GB RAM, duel boot with Win7: SolydK32

Hashable

Postby Hashable » 22 May 2014 23:27

Well, it definitely fixes the white artifacts poping up everywhere, but by all means I get a lot of screen-tearing. I'm used to the "full screen repaints" option because I find screen-tearing annoying. In any case, this is a palpable solution until the issue gets solved for real...

MatthewLM

Postby MatthewLM » 24 May 2014 11:56

The suggested solution above does not work for me: http://oi62.tinypic.com/28mmn43.jpg

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 08 Jun 2014 05:37

ScottQuier wrote:My flavor of choice is KDE. I've installed the nvidia-driver on those machines with an Nvidia card. I've not (yet :) ) seen any display issues.

On my tablet with an Intel GPU I, of course, don't have any non-free driver installed and I don't have any issues.

I have gone through the Desktop Effects and turned off a lot of the fade/translucent/etc effects and I've turned the compositing type to OpenGL 3.1
Hi Scott, would you mind telling me how you installed the Nvidia driver in your KDE installation? Which driver is it and how did you install it?
Whenever I do that, booting into the GUI takes a minute longer than usual. First I am stuck in CTRL-ALT-F1 where I can log in or not, does not make any difference. After a while the GUI is loaded and things run well.
Now I am using the Nouveau driver which does not have that problem but which causes tearing pictures.

This is an excerpt from inxi-Fzx where I think something is wrong now with my graphical driver"

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE4 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0-devel Direct Rendering: Yes
After installing the OS I used the Nouveau driver, then installed an Nvidia driver causing the boot delay problem. I uninstalled it and now I have this. What is wrong here and how can I solve it? Any idea?
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Jun 2014 10:41

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE4 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0-devel Direct Rendering: Yes
you need to refer to your distro's installation method, the debian way that Scott would advise you is not compatible with the system you have installed.
bliss of ignorance

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 08 Jun 2014 13:39

DeMus wrote:
ScottQuier wrote: Hi Scott, would you mind telling me how you installed the Nvidia driver in your KDE installation? Which driver is it and how did you install it?
Please heed zerozero's warning!

With that warning have been issued, if you follow this and totally bork your install .... well that's on you.

On the other hand, if your inxi output is from another distro and you really intend to install Nvidia on your SolydK install, then this should move you in the right direction.

Please see this thread for some clues on how to approach the problem --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2908
Scott

DeMus

Postby DeMus » 09 Jun 2014 16:25

Thank you Scott, I promise to be careful. :lol:
Came from Windows, used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, LinuxMint and now LinuxMint KDE-64. Love the KDE desktop.

barnabas

Postby barnabas » 08 Jul 2014 20:50

Thanks - I had to set Tearing Prevention (VSync) to None as above to fix graphical issues I was experiencing. The Graphics on my laptop is an Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Controller.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”