SolydK on netbook

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
niksakl

SolydK on netbook

Postby niksakl » 07 Apr 2013 16:33

HI guys,

I have an asus netbook (2gb ram and atom processor) currently running Solydx and enjoying it. As I am a KDE fan, I would be interested trying SolydK on it...but as I am using the small thingy for work, don't want to install and reinstall everythng all over and all over... So I thought if asking here: How would SolydK perform on it? SolydX is running ok with ram usage of around 150mb occupied... I think KDE would take a bit more, but how would it be regarding the cpu usage which is in fact my major concern?

Thank you all for your advice and congratulations to all contributors: solydXK looks to be a terrific distro!

zerozero

Re: SolydK on netbook

Postby zerozero » 07 Apr 2013 19:16

hi niksaki :P welcome to the solydxk forums
with 2gb ram i think that you'll be ok to run kde;
you will find here >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82 several (a lot) of ram usage comparisons between the several solyd variations

i would go with 32bit (it's lower in ram footprint by design) and eventually install the pae kernel (not necessary) (it's easy: ddm will do it for you 8-) )
bliss of ignorance

niksakl

Postby niksakl » 07 Apr 2013 19:22

zerozero wrote:hi niksaki :P welcome to the solydxk forums
with 2gb ram i think that you'll be ok to run kde;
you will find here >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82 several (a lot) of ram usage comparisons between the several solyd variations

i would go with 32bit (it's lower in ram footprint by design) and eventually install the pae kernel (not necessary) (it's easy: ddm will do it for you 8-) )
my biggest concern is cpu usage: My atom cpu is suffering already.Is there much more cpu usage in SolydK than SolydX?

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 07 Apr 2013 21:03

Yes, to a certain extent KDE will have a higher CPU usage than Xfce. I don't really have a way to test that and give accurate numbers; the machine I have SolydK on can run any desktop with low CPU usage.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Apr 2013 17:22

agree with cww
kde will be more cpu-intensive, if you are already struggling with xfce the move is not the best option in my opinion;

but the best is try it with a live-dvd (or usb) and see how your system reacts.
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 09 Apr 2013 02:18

zerozero wrote:agree with cww
kde will be more cpu-intensive, if you are already struggling with xfce the move is not the best option in my opinion;

but the best is try it with a live-dvd (or usb) and see how your system reacts.
The only problem with live-dvds is they tend to be much slower than actual installs (USBs tend to be about the same speed). But I agree that it probably won't work, but you can definitely test it out if you want to.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

rcrispo

Postby rcrispo » 09 Apr 2013 10:47

I am testing solidk performance on asus eepc1001px with 2 gb ram.
The performance are good without effects, but if enable effects the performace decrease a lot. It's correct say that the pc is "locked".
I know that this problem was solved in kde 4.9, because my wife's pc (always 1001px) after upgrade to kde4.9 use very good with effects enabled.
Do you have the same feedback??

Mr. B

Postby Mr. B » 09 Apr 2013 15:26

Kinda cool. Currently i installed SolydK on my older netbook, a Acer Aspire One 150 ZG5, that has 1GB RAM and am in the middle of the update process. Runs great so far even with effects on.

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 09 Apr 2013 19:21

Great that SolydK is working well on lower resource machines 8-) . It shows how versatile KDE can be.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Mr. B

Postby Mr. B » 09 Apr 2013 20:52

It uses about 204MB RAM but that's fine with me since i use the netbook for browsing, chatting and email only.

Evil-K

Postby Evil-K » 10 Apr 2013 03:28

cwwgateway wrote:Great that SolydK is working well on lower resource machines 8-) . It shows how versatile KDE can be.
A lot of effort has been made by the KDE developers to make it snappier and less of a hog. It'll never be as lightweight as, say, LXDE, Fluxbox, or IceWM (for examples), but when GNOME 3 and Unity are showing themselves to be more and more resource intensive, it's good to see KDE shake its reputation.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

niksakl

Postby niksakl » 10 Apr 2013 17:51

Thanks guys... I m gonna give it a go! What is the latest KDE version available? (didn't see it around..)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Apr 2013 18:36

4.8.4 is in the repositories (and used in SolydK).
Here's a thread for 4.9.5: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=172

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

niksakl

Postby niksakl » 10 Apr 2013 18:40

nice! IS there a road map to get to KDE 4.10? KDE is at the moment the fullest and fastest advancing DE imho...

(Oh, great work with SOLYDxk so far! i 've been trying it on my notebook and it seems great so far... makes me wonder about my desktop running kubuntu 13.04 atm... )

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Apr 2013 18:57

For 4.10: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 2397#p2397
But I wouldn't recommend it. You might have more problems later on.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

niksakl

Postby niksakl » 10 Apr 2013 19:01

is installation of 4.9.5 as described here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=172 considered officially safe?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 10 Apr 2013 19:10

i'm using it in several systems since fev. 12th (some time before the topic you linked above, actually some time before SolydXK existed) and have ZERO issues with it.

won't say that is officially but is very stable and the upgrade path, when newer versions of kde are made available, should be clean.
bliss of ignorance

Evil-K

Postby Evil-K » 10 Apr 2013 19:16

niksakl wrote:is installation of 4.9.5 as described here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=172 considered officially safe?
zerozero wrote:i'm using it in several systems since fev. 12th (some time before the topic you linked above, actually some time before SolydXK existed) and have ZERO issues with it.

won't say that is officially but is very stable and the upgrade path, when newer versions of kde are made available, should be clean.
I can also vouch that it runs just fine on my system, even after the latest Upgrade Pack.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 10 Apr 2013 19:59

+1

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 10 Apr 2013 20:34

It also runs fine on my laptop. The benefit of the way the 4.9.5 process works is that it is from a "semi-official" debian repository. This means that, while it may not be completely official (for Debian), it is compatible with Debian and its bases and it should/will provide a clean upgrade path. To get 4.10, you have to add a third party distro's repo. It may not be completely compatible, and it may not provide a clear upgrade path once KDE 4.10 naturally moves in to SolydXK's repos.

KDE 4.10 will "naturally" migrate to SolydXK's repos some time after Wheezy is released. I'd look at maybe the July/August update packs (but afterwards KDE releases will start to come faster).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing