[SOLVED] Issue with Pale Moon browser and GTK2 theme

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Sly Dok

[SOLVED] Issue with Pale Moon browser and GTK2 theme

Postby Sly Dok » 27 Jun 2014 23:30

When I first installed the Pale Moon browser (PM4Linux, see: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/) on my SolydK system, the application would close as soon as I clicked any drop-down menu on it's interface. On the Pale Moon forum I found a workaround for this problem: I changed the GTK2 theme to something other than oxygen-gtk and after that, Pale Moon ran without problems.

I can live with this situation, but really, I'd rather not change the default GTK2 theme, used by a variety of applications, just to have a single application run properly. Moreover: the problem seems to be restricted to SolydK and a few other distro's that use the KDE desktop environment. So my question is: what could be the actual cause of this problem? Could the oxygen-gtk theme currently used by SolydK be outdated, and therefore incompatible with certain applications?

I hope someone can shed some light on this!

MAYBL8

Re: Issue with Pale Moon browser and GTK2 theme

Postby MAYBL8 » 28 Jun 2014 13:36

Here is the error that happens when you click on a menu choice using oxygen-gtk
I don't how to fix it but I thought it would help to show the error:

Code: Select all

###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /root/Projects/palemoon/Pale-Moon/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /root/Projects/palemoon/Pale-Moon/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
Segmentation fault

wayne

Postby wayne » 28 Jun 2014 14:35

Sly Dok wrote:When I first installed the Pale Moon browser (PM4Linux, see http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/) on my SolydK system, the application would close as soon as I clicked any drop-down menu on it's interface. On the Pale Moon forum I found a workaround for this problem: I changed the GTK2 theme to something other than oxygen-gtk and after that, Pale Moon ran without problems.

I can live with this situation, but really, I'd rather not change the default GTK2 theme, used by a variety of applications, just to have a single application run properly. Moreover: the problem seems to be restricted to SolydK and a few other distro's that use the KDE desktop environment. So my question is: what could be the actual cause of this problem? Could the oxygen-gtk theme currently used by SolydK be outdated, and therefore incompatible with certain applications?

I hope someone can shed some light on this!

You can run PM-linux in KDE-oxygen theme, but you need some work around.
One of them is posted by Darrel.. just issue the code in terminal and you can run.

Postby drbellerive » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:54 am
There is also a workaround that just changes the gtk theme for Pale Moon.

Run palemoon with this command:

Code: Select all

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon
You can use whatever theme you prefer in place of QtCurve.

Edit the KDE menu and change the command line for the Pale Moon menu item to this command.

Seems to work well and leaves the other gtk applications using the theme set in System Settings.

Darrell

Sly Dok

Postby Sly Dok » 28 Jun 2014 15:10

Hi wayne,

Thank you for your reply. I'm very happy with your solution; it does indeed solve the problem of having to make a system-wide change to have Pale Moon run properly. So thanks again!

But still, I wonder: why won't Pale Moon run properly on SolydK with the default GTK2 theme, which is oxygen-gtk? Is this likely to be a problem with the PM4Linux build, or is something wrong on SolydK's end? And in the latter case: could this be fixed with a future update for SolydK?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be splitting hairs. It's just that I would like to know what's actually causing this problem, so it can be solved, not by working around it, but by tackling it..

Edit: I really like PM4Linux, and I would certainly recommend it to other people, if it weren't for this GTK issue. :(

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Jun 2014 17:12

the problem didn't appear on firefox so it must be on palemoon's end. most likely solydxk devs can't fix it since we don't know what happened inside palemoon. modifying oxygen theme isn't a safe option since it will affecting lots of application. the safest option will be modifying palemoon so that it match with oxygen theme.

Sly Dok

Postby Sly Dok » 02 Jul 2014 09:45

kurotsugi wrote:the problem didn't appear on firefox so it must be on palemoon's end.
I believe there are other applications that don't run properly with the GTK2 theme oxygen-gtk, not just Pale Moon.

See, for example:

http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.p ... heme-issue.

On that page, someone mentions this:
It's already fixed in the Gtk2-oxygen theme packages in KDE:Extra, so install gtk2-theme-oxygen and gtk2-engine-oxygen from there and it should not crash any more. You should find the KDE:Extra repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories.
It seems to me that the oxygen-gtk theme is known to cause issues, and that updating the theme/engine might be the solution. However, I have no idea how this could be done... I hope I'm not asking a silly question here, but isn't this something that could be fixed with one of the oncoming update packs for SolydK?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 02 Jul 2014 14:58

Sly Dok wrote:
kurotsugi wrote:the problem didn't appear on firefox so it must be on palemoon's end.
I believe there are other applications that don't run properly with the GTK2 theme oxygen-gtk, not just Pale Moon.

See, for example:

It's already fixed in the Gtk2-oxygen theme packages in KDE:Extra, so install gtk2-theme-oxygen and gtk2-engine-oxygen from there and it should not crash any more. You should find the KDE:Extra repo in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories.
It seems to me that the oxygen-gtk theme is known to cause issues, and that updating the theme/engine might be the solution. However, I have no idea how this could be done... I hope I'm not asking a silly question here, but isn't this something that could be fixed with one of the oncoming update packs for SolydK?
as you see >> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=869791#c1 the issue is more complex than just blame oxygen-gtk
bliss of ignorance

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Jul 2014 15:00

See, for example:

that was a case when the package is created by the distro itself (both kde and oxygen theme were managed by opensuse). in our case, the oxygen theme is managed by debian were while palemoon is managed by palemoon devs. since palemoon is managed by 3rd party devs they're the one who have to fix it. palemoon is a fork of firefox but firefox didn't have issue with oxygen. it means that the bug is certainly on palemoon's end. you should ask palemoon's devs to fix it.

Sly Dok

Postby Sly Dok » 02 Jul 2014 20:35

Hi kurotsugi,

Thank you for explaining. At least now I know (and understand) that the problem must be on Pale Moon's end. I believe the issue has been discussed on their forum as well, so I guess there isn't much more I can do about it. I hope they'll fix this in a future version of their browser.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”