Widgets and Keyboard Shortcuts

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
GreeningGalaxy

Widgets and Keyboard Shortcuts

Postby GreeningGalaxy » 17 Sep 2014 20:36

When I started using SolydK, the meta/super/windows/whatever key on my keyboard was set to open the launcher menu when pressed, and right-clicking on the launcher menu and bringing up the keyboard shortcut tab of the 'launcher settings' dialog showed that the shortcut was set to "F13". This was fine for a while, but then today, it suddenly stopped working, and I notice that whenever I go to set a keyboard shortcut, pressing super causes the prompt to show "Meta+..." and, of course, won't let me set any keyboard shortcuts to just meta because, apparently, everyone uses it for shortcuts.
I don't have any particular shortcuts I'm attached to that use super/meta (and if I did, I'd expect it to work so that releasing super by itself would trigger the shortcut for it, while releasing it with another key would trigger that key's shortcut). Disregarding that, though, is there any way (like editing a config file or something) to override KDE's refusal to set meta alone as a shortcut key?

Also on the subject of keyboard shortcuts, the alt-click to drag windows function is still annoying me. Under Ubuntu, it could be changed with dconf-editor, but I haven't found anything saying that that works on Debian/SolydK, and my attempts so far haven't worked. I have several applications I use where alt-clicking is an important functionality, and having KDE try to drag the window whenever I do that really gets in the way.

Is there some kind of main hub for keyboard shortcuts other than KDEs GUI settings menu? I'm getting a little tired of certain functions not showing up there or the program not allowing me to set the keys I want to a function.

Snap

Re: Widgets and Keyboard Shortcuts

Postby Snap » 17 Sep 2014 20:47

This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 17 Sep 2014 20:52

Also on the subject of keyboard shortcuts, the alt-click to drag windows function is still annoying me. Under Ubuntu, it could be changed with dconf-editor, but I haven't found anything saying that that works on Debian/SolydK, and my attempts so far haven't worked.
System Settings > Window Behavior > Window Behavior > Window Actions tab

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 17 Sep 2014 22:23

If you are not using the meta key it is possible to set the meta key to bring up the kickoff menu.
The file that holds the keyboard shortcuts is ~/.kde/share/config/kohotkeysrc, & you could edit that directly but IMHO it is much easier through system settings. There is an example khotkeysrc file /usr/share/solydxk/default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/khotkeysrc, if you copy that to ~/.kde/share/config it could be that you will have back the default shortcuts that you want. I have not tried this so use at your own risk.
The alt-click method of moving windows works on all 4 of my solydxk distros. It is controlled by a check box somewhere in system settings, I don't recall where, so yours must have become unchecked.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

GreeningGalaxy

Postby GreeningGalaxy » 19 Sep 2014 00:21

I tried editing that configuration file, but it's hard to understand what each part does, and the shortcut I want to modify (the in-widget keyboard shortcut for kickoff) doesn't even seem to appear in the file at all. I also tried the kickoffrc file next door, but didn't get anywhere there either.
What I really want to do is just disable KDE's refusal to set modifier keys to shortcuts by themselves. Under XFCE, I was able to set meta to show the desktop and right alt to open a terminal just by pressing the keys when prompted, but KDE just shows me "Meta+..." while I hold the key down, then goes back to showing "Input..." when the key is released, refusing to set the key to the shortcut until I press another key along with it. Should I be trying to install XFCE's shortcuts manager in my system, or what?

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Sep 2014 07:53

Isn't that pretty limiting? I mean, right alt and meta are limited to a single function instead of being modifiers anymore. I make a good use of them as modifiers, I can launch most of my apps by pressing meta+something. Meta-spacebar launches the menu.

GreeningGalaxy

Postby GreeningGalaxy » 19 Sep 2014 14:13

I hardly ever use right alt for anything, and if meta is being used to show the desktop or open the launcher, it's fine with me if that happens in addition to whatever app I'm opening with it. What should happen in an ideal situation is that meta or alt would do its single-key command once it was released by itself without pressing any other keys in the process, and then using it as a modifier key would override the single-key function.

Snap

Postby Snap » 08 Oct 2014 18:39

Found a "how didn't you thought about it sooner, stupid!" workaround a couple of weeks ago but forgot to post it here. Sorry.

I'm right handed so I always use the modifier keys at the left side of the keyboard since the right hand takes care of the mouse. At the right side I only use Alt Gr when needed and always even forget that the Menu key exists at all. The left side Meta key works fine, but not if trying to input or define a new shortcut. It outputs that F13 every time. You already know the solution, don't you? Use the right side Meta key instead! Then use the left one to use your shortcuts as usual and forget about you right side Meta again. :lol:

fazjaxton

Postby fazjaxton » 26 Feb 2016 17:18

I have been working on this as well. I finally found an option in "System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Advanced > Alt/Win Key Behavior > Add the standard behavior to Menu key". This does make the Meta key stop working for bringing up the menu, but allows you to make meta key combinations with it. There are lots of options in there, so there might be a way to make it do both. I didn't mess around with it.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”