Getting back missing system tray entries?

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 30 Oct 2014 04:32

Yep so easy to delete them. No way to get them back?
As had a klipper entry but no more and thought to have it run in systray.

Anyway to recover back to a default?
Why are they so easy to delete with no way of adding them back?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Snap

Re: Getting back missing system tray entries?

Postby Snap » 30 Oct 2014 07:17

Klipper has gone here too. I don't know why. I didn't removed it. But it's not running in autostarts for some reason. It kinda works, but to make it run properly I have to manually launch Klipper but it doesn't reappear in systray besides I have it ticked as always visible. Haven't checked autosarts yet. Time to go over them.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 30 Oct 2014 07:36

No luck. Tried the different autostarts so it's launched a different steps at boot. No difference. Something is borking it.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 30 Oct 2014 16:13

I can launch it fine and it shows in system tray. But looks like I need to add it to Autostart programs also.
Which I just did. So will see next time I boot up. Don't remember if it is a default in SolydXK as is in other distro's a default to run in systray.

Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

TeaSwigger

Postby TeaSwigger » 02 Nov 2014 00:35

After the latest "SolydXK adjustments" updates it seems KMix and Klipper went poof here. They run ok if started manually but I've no idea why they don't autostart on login as they used to, or how to reset it so they do. I also can't restart/shut down normally, the Leave > Restart won't come up. It's like Plasma's sticking...

UPDATE: Seems pure chance whether or not it works right upon logging back in. :|

Tried deleting plasma-desktop-appletsrc, plasma-desktoprc, plasmarc (plasmarc was an empty file) from ~/.kde/share/config (from another user account) so they were recreated fresh next login and all appeared to be well again. After resetting everything incl. plasma theme as desired, at next reboot, old problem again (no klipper, kmix in sys tray). Switched back to default Air plasma theme and worked fine next boot, but not the next. Odd.
"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright" -Bill Withers

SolydK 64-bit - AMD Quad Core - 4GB RAM - accursed NVIDIA GeForce 5800 graphics - lovely ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound

neal

Postby neal » 06 Nov 2014 17:34

Klipper and Kmix also disappeared from my system tray after the last UP. However, the processes were running and after about 15 minutes, the klipper icon would appear and then after about 30 minutes the kmix icon would as well.

In my case, the fix was provided by grizzler in the UP 2014.10.15 thread:

Code: Select all
sudo rm /tmp
sudo mv /var/tmp /tmp
sudo mkdir -m 1777 /var/tmp

Also, I know of at least one application that expects to find its stuff in /var/tmp rather than /tmp, so if after the move mentioned above there's an item called kdecache-root in /tmp, you should do

Code: Select all
sudo mv -t /var/tmp /tmp/kdecache-*
After rebooting, klipper and kmix showed up on the tray right away. This also cured firefox, which had been freezing if I tried to click on bookmarks or just about anything else that wasn't a link on the homepage, solydxk.nl, in the first few minutes after starting the browser.

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Nov 2014 17:40

Nope, it's not the /tmp symlink issue here. I don't have Kmix onboard so cannot tell, but Klipper is still not working as it should here.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”