Jessie Upgrade

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
disciple1964

Jessie Upgrade

Postby disciple1964 » 31 Jan 2015 16:05

Hello,

Not sure this is the correct forum to post this in, but the upgrade for solydk has completed, I originally used the UM, but it didn't take, so I followed the CLI instructions and it worked without errors. One thing I did notice is that I had 4 Virtual Desktops and when I logged in they were not there, however when you click on the taskbar, you now have the option to add the virtual desktops without having to go into settings to do it. That was nice.

I am now checking to see all that is new, and so far, I have not had one crash or any type of errors, come up. My AMD drivers worked as normal, did not have to do a thing with that. It also seems to boot a lot faster than before.

**Edit** Just opened the synaptic, and man the difference, It is MUCH cleaner and the fonts are so clear, The check marks are different but a nice touch. Overall this does look cleaner and better than the previous solydxk. now if we could just get libreoffice 4.4. in the repo's.

GREAT JOB EVERYONE! this is why everyone should be using SolydXK, This team rocks!

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Deleted User 2764

Re: Jessie Upgrade

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 31 Jan 2015 18:10

@disciple1964: Glad to hear!

And great job to Schoelje as well! See? People are transitioning quite nicely here. :)

I haven't started yet, really. Tried an in-place on the laptop and had errors, etc. but it did update after CLI. I'm going to do BOTH next using the latest ISO instead. I figure I can now let go of Windows on the desktop now. :)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Jan 2015 18:21

now if we could just get libreoffice 4.4. in the repo's.
it's quite unfortunate but unless you move into debian testing or activate backports the chances to get libre 4.4 is zero. sadly, debian is on freeze period so the chances to get libre 4.4 before jessie becomes stable also zero.

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 31 Jan 2015 22:34

kurotsugi wrote:
now if we could just get libreoffice 4.4. in the repo's.
it's quite unfortunate but unless you move into debian testing or activate backports the chances to get libre 4.4 is zero. sadly, debian is on freeze period so the chances to get libre 4.4 before jessie becomes stable also zero.
You're right, kurotsugi.
@ Disciple1964 you could:
  • in a near future, enable Debian experimental (ATM) or Sid (probably in a few days, weeks)
  • when Jessie will be released, use the SolydXK EE which will track on Debian testing directly if you like playing or use the backports if you prefer stability ;)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

belze

Postby belze » 01 Feb 2015 00:07

https://packages.debian.org/it/experimental/libreoffice
So you could try to enable experimental (or simply download all required packages in a folder and than dpkg -i *.deb)
I guess they will not be part of testing because of the freeze.
-------

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 07:25

You could be patient and wait until LO gets in the backports. It is added by default in the sources.list.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2015 12:58

Schoelje wrote:You could be patient and wait until LO gets in the backports. It is added by default in the sources.list.
Whoaaa!

I can understand the appropriate line for backports being included in the sources.list but surely this should be commented out by default.

IMHO, backport repos should not be enabled by default. This should be a user choice for individual packages. Otherwise every package in the backports repo will automatically be upgraded - not a good scenario for a stable system IMO!

Attempts to tame backports behaviour with apt-pinning are often doomed! :-(

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 13:35

Zill wrote:
Schoelje wrote:You could be patient and wait until LO gets in the backports. It is added by default in the sources.list.
Whoaaa!

I can understand the appropriate line for backports being included in the sources.list but surely this should be commented out by default.

IMHO, backport repos should not be enabled by default. This should be a user choice for individual packages. Otherwise every package in the backports repo will automatically be upgraded - not a good scenario for a stable system IMO!

Attempts to tame backports behaviour with apt-pinning are often doomed! :-(
Backports are only used if you explicitly install from backports with the -t parameter of apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get -t jessie-backports install "package"
From that moment backports will be used to maintain that package. If you do not explicitly install from backports, it's not going to get used because of its default pinning. If you don't trust yourself and find you automatically type the -t parameter (or changed pinning) while installing a package I recommend you comment the dreaded line in your sources.list.

From http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
All backports are deactivated by default (i.e. the packages are pinned to 100 by using ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes in the Release files.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2015 15:32

Thanks Schoelje - I have always been wary of backports so let's hope the pinning works! ;-)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Feb 2015 16:08

There is another option to install libreoffice 4.4 and I just did it.
You can download all the .debs from the libreoffice site.
It is a manual install of .debs so there are a lot of dependencies. However all the debs are there so you just have to install them.
I have 4.4 running but I wouldn't recommend it on a system you want to be stable.
Something could go wrong and you might find yourself reinstalling the system.
If you want to take a chance this is a way to do it.
Thanks
Dan

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”