KDE5

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
MAYBL8

KDE5

Postby MAYBL8 » 03 Aug 2015 16:43

I am going to start a new topic to discuss KDE5 Issues. KDE5 is in its beginings and there are going to be some growing pains.
RIGHT NOW THIS IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN TESTING AND SID. As far as I know.
I will start with this excerpt from the KDE5 pages:

Suitability and Updates
New Lock Screen
New Lock Screen
Plasma 5.0 provides a core desktop with a feature set that will suffice for many users. The development team has concentrated on tools that make up the central workflows. As such, not all features from the Plasma 4.x series are available yet, many of them planned to return with a subsequent release. As with any software release of this size, there will be bugs that make a migration to Plasma 5 hard, if not impossible for some users. The development team would like to hear about such issues, so they can be addressed and fixed. We have compiled a list of known issues. Users can expect monthly bugfix updates, and a release bringing new features and more old ones back in the autumn 2014.
With a substantial new toolkit stack below some exciting new crashes and problems that need time to be shaken out are to be expected in a first stable release. Especially graphics performance is heavily dependent on specific hardware and software configurations and usage patterns. While it has great potential, it takes time to wrangle this out of it. The underlying stack may not be entirely ready for this either. In many scenarios, Plasma 5.0 will display the buttery smooth performance it is capable of - while at other times, it may be hampered by various shortcomings. These can and will be addressed, however, much is dependent on components like Qt, Mesa and hardware drivers lower in the stack.

MAYBL8

Re: KDE5

Postby MAYBL8 » 24 Aug 2015 13:54

Ran into a problem the last few days. Not sure if this was caused by an update or not.
When I Go into system settings then choose Application Style then choose Window Decorations, system settings crashes with :
Executable: systemsettings5 PID: 4340 Signal: Segmentation fault (11) .
Just noting this issue. Nothing for anyone to try to fix.
I will look up some bug reports and see what I find.
Thanks
Dan

Found a bug report on this issue. Looks like it is still not resolved:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344278

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 25 Aug 2015 21:56

Finally got a functional kde5 desktop back.
I am having a similar experience with Window Decorations. It doesn't affect the functions in that window at all, but when I leave the window I get the crash message. It crashes if I try to return to system settings or if I just close the window altogether. However I do get a different error.

Code: Select all

QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 3
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 3
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = systemsettings5 path = /usr/bin pid = 32378
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/systemsettings5 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
[1]   Exit 253                systemsettings5

[2]+  Stopped                 systemsettings5

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

g2sws

Postby g2sws » 26 Aug 2015 08:36

smitty1 if you don't mind me asking, how did you get your plasma 5 desktop booting up again?

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 26 Aug 2015 13:30

g2sws:
I can't take any credit, except for stubbornness. When the DE refused to load I kept hitting ctl-alt-del to restart & once it did load but kwin crashed immediately. In the crash box is an option to restart the application. I did that several times until it stabilized, sort of. I could open apps, but their windows all opened in the same place, one on top of the other, and could not be moved or closed. So I opened a terminal and installed xfce4 DE and from there I could do dist-upgrades. It took about 3 days of upgrades followed by filed attempts to load kde5, until yesterday when I finally got a stable usable desktop. I have restarted it twice so far so hopefully that problem is behind us.

g2sws

Postby g2sws » 26 Aug 2015 14:53

Thank you smitty1

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 26 Aug 2015 15:11

You're welcome.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 27 Aug 2015 19:10

Updates in Testing has broken my KDE5 today.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 27 Aug 2015 19:23

Oh, blasted! I was going to write something about that. Ran into the same mess while I was trying to fix the SolydK EE ISOs. Should have done that before getting the other ISOs ready. Sorry.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 27 Aug 2015 19:24

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 03 Sep 2015 19:04

As Dan created this thread to discuss KDE5 issues, I think I'll drop this here. I've had another look at the SolydK EE ISOs and while they sort of work, getting the SolydXK look and feel back is proving to be decidedly non-trivial.

I've managed to fix the failing autologin of the live system and I do have some ideas about a number of other problems, but as many of these have to do with the system settings, I need some input on one particular issue first: there seems to be no kde4rc equivalent.
KDE4 has /etc/kde4rc. This is used to add a SolydXK specific directory to the system wide settings path. Although the functionality to add to that path apparently still exists, there seems to be nothing like this configuration file in KDE5 (a question about this actually came up in the kde.org forums, but no-one replied...). I've tried a couple of obvious candidates (kderc, kde5rc, kf5rc, plasma5rc). No luck.
If KDE5 doesn't support a simple way to add to the settings structure, the required files are going to have to be supplied in /etc/skel and 'poked' straight into the user's settings at install time. Probably not a problem as such, but I wonder if there is a better way (maybe somehow using KDEDIRS directly?).

Any ideas?
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 03 Sep 2015 22:39

i think it should be fine. most user want to get 'out of the box' experience and doesn't really care how did the devs do that :3

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 04 Sep 2015 01:26

Frank,
Is this what you are referring to:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347841

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2015 06:47

Dan,
No, not really. That's about a custom profile created by the user. Apparently that didn't work either, but the other bug report mentioned there suggests that this was fixed.
The /etc/kde4rc file made it easier to customise the default settings for a particular distribution, without having to add files to the user's home directory.

kurotsugi,
You're probably right. Not being able to do this the 'old' way does have a (possibly unwanted) side effect though. If a user selects to add a panel and chooses the default panel option, KDE4 will produce a SolydXK default. With KDE5 they'll get a Debian/KDE default.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Sep 2015 09:18

I'm totally noob about plasma but AFAIK some packages store the default configuration under /usr. it should work similar as the one under /etc. are there any drawback of modifying those files under /usr?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2015 10:03

All of it is stored under /usr. The /etc/kde4rc file contains nothing more than a pointer to a directory under /usr/share/solydxk. This is added to the path where plasma looks for default settings, which is also under /usr/share. This way you don't have to worry about the default settings provided by the plasma packages, because the ones added by solydxk.nle first.

I suppose changing the plasma packages themselves is possible, but I'm not sure (yet) how much more work this would be. I'm definitely keeping it as an option, but I would prefer to use something like the KDE4 method. It's a mechanism that was designed for this, according to the docs. That's why I find it puzzling there is no kde4rc equivalent in KDE5. Even more odd, when you search the web or forums you won't find a single reference to a reason for omitting it (at least I haven't been able to find one). And the settings mechanism still supports adding your own system wide settings.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Sep 2015 13:54

i see...using a /etc/skel won't be as convenience as using /etc/kde4rc.

anyway, are there any additional step required to 'revive' plasma on an installed system? from your explanation a d-u seems not enough. Dan and other plasma user should be glad if you could provide these information :3

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2015 14:20

As far as I know, the current state is that plasma5 works, more or less, just not using SolydXK defaults or look and feel. Current SolydK EE users should at least have a working system. If people are missing certain personal settings they used to have, (selectively) copying items from ~/.kde/share/config to ~/.config might help. Getting missing widgets back is simply a matter of adding them to the panel or desktop again. But I would expect SolydK EE users to know that already (I'm a KDE noob myself - my short stint with it in 2008 doesn't count).

From postings on several forums I get the impression not all applications have been ported to KDE5 yet, so just moving everything from ~/.kde/share/config to ~/.config is probably a bad idea.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Sep 2015 15:01

nice, great thanks. plasma user should be happy when they herad this news :3 the incomplete transition...that perhaps the reason why did we didn't have kde4rc equivalent on current testing. well...let's hope that true :lol:

that thing aside, I think more information will be revealed once the transition is complete. meanwhile, we could use /etc/skel for temporary solution until we got more information or better solution for this issue. personally I think releasing the newest iso should be prioritized among other stuffs. but...yes, please take it easy. I didn't mean to burdening you with such stressnous job. that was certainly personal opinion. it feels bad when I couldn't lend a hand.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2015 20:07

Earlier today and yesterday I wrote that the configuration mechanism still supported adding your own system wide settings path. That was based on docs from kde.org, and in hindsight rather silly, because at that time I had already established that most of what appears to be useful documentation is either incomplete, hopelessly outdated or plain wrong. I have no idea why I thought the bit about the settings would actually be accurate.

It isn't, of course. It's the same kind of useless mess as the rest, as I have since found out by weeding through obscure forum postings and mailing list messages. An extensible configuration system like the one that was available for KDE4 simply does not exist anymore.

Well, at least it decreases the number of options: either hack the default settings provided by the packages or stuff things in /etc/skel. I'm not sure which one to choose yet and quite frankly I think I've wasted enough time on this junk for now. I'll see when I can spend some more on it.

Edit
@kurotsugi,
Sorry, I've only just read your last posting and positioning this bit of a rant directly underneath it might suggest that part of it could somehow be aimed at you. I assure you it isn't. If it's aimed at anyone it's the KDE developers and the people responsible for the KDE docs...
Frank

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”