[solved]slimjet browser

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
houndhen

[solved]slimjet browser

Postby houndhen » 15 Apr 2016 23:36

I have Solydk 3.16.0 installed on my 64 bit system. Is Slimjet browser available for this version?

Thanks,
Harold

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: slimjet browser

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Apr 2016 05:47

You can check the availability of a package by searching in the Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, or in terminal with a command like:

Code: Select all

apt search slimjet

I don't know the browser but I see it can be downloaded from their site. However, I don't recommend installing from third parties if you don't know them.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 16 Apr 2016 11:39

houndhen: It appears that Slimjet is not currently available in the Debian or SolydXK repos.

However, looking at the Slimjet website, it seems to me that this is basically the Chromium browser with some additional functionality. I suggest you could easily replicate this by installing Chromium (which is in the Debian repos) and then installing one or more extensions, such as AdBlock.

Code: Select all

apt install chromium
This will ensure that the browser is kept up-to-date automatically via normal SolydXK updates, which would not be the case if you installed Slimjet from outside the repos.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Apr 2016 16:21

it won't get replicated that way. chrome's code is used as a backend engine while the frontend interface is different.

simply go to slimjet site and download the official *.deb file for debian from there. after that, you can install it by either using dpkg or gdebi. it's the official and the easiest way to get slimjet in your system.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”