Several fonts problems

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
fernandoamartin

Several fonts problems

Postby fernandoamartin » 16 Apr 2016 15:43

Hi. I use SolydK EE and I have had some problems with fonts.
In wine some parts of fonts are very thin, even though I already tried every tip I found online to imrpove or smooth wine fonts. In libreoffice some texts in some dialog boxes appear as several squares instead of fonts. In dolphin when I pass the mouse cursor over some multimedia files the information baloon appears with corrupted text but the improves if I move the cursor away and then pass it over the same file again. Indeed this behavior in dolphin is very random. On the other hand the behaviors mentioned above in libreoffice and wine are constant.

Here are some links to the images of what is happening: (I was only able to upload them on google drive.)

On libreoffice
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lWl ... HFYNXcxZ0U

On wine:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lWl ... 2pIQkktQlk

I'll be thankful if someone can help me.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Several fonts problems

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Apr 2016 06:49

Perhaps it's a similar problem vacnt had: viewtopic.php?p=60271#p60271

If that doesn't improve things, we need to know which font and font settings you're using and if changing font to the default Clear Sans changes anything.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

eselma

Postby eselma » 17 Apr 2016 18:08

It is known that some fonts does not render quite well in Wine; it seems to be a price to pay for compatibility.

About the LibreOffice fonts problem, I can see all my installed fonts well (about 200 families), but noticed that some fonts, specially the 'fantasy' ones sometimes does not have all the UTF-8 typeset, only ASCII ones and perhaps a bit more. The version of LibreOffice I have installed on SolydK 8 (stable, updated) is 5.1.2.2. Perhaps if you tell us your version of L.O. and the type of fonts, we could test them and get some help.

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 17 Apr 2016 23:12

Schoelje wrote:Perhaps it's a similar problem vacnt had: viewtopic.php?p=60271#p60271

If that doesn't improve things, we need to know which font and font settings you're using and if changing font to the default Clear Sans changes anything.
The firstsnapshot I created using wine was with times new roman font. In wine apps that allow font changing change to clear sans produces the following result: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lWl ... UJhaDlPVk0

Looking closer it doesn't seem that clear sans solves the problem in wine. The point is that clear sans is more easily readable.

As for libreoffice the issue is in dialog boxes not in the text on the pages.

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 17 Apr 2016 23:20

eselma wrote:It is known that some fonts does not render quite well in Wine; it seems to be a price to pay for compatibility.

About the LibreOffice fonts problem, I can see all my installed fonts well (about 200 families), but noticed that some fonts, specially the 'fantasy' ones sometimes does not have all the UTF-8 typeset, only ASCII ones and perhaps a bit more. The version of LibreOffice I have installed on SolydK 8 (stable, updated) is 5.1.2.2. Perhaps if you tell us your version of L.O. and the type of fonts, we could test them and get some help.
I use solydk 9 ee updated from debian testing.
Here's my libreoffice version:
Version: 5.1.2.1.0
Build ID: 1:5.1.2~rc1-1
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Linux 4.4; UI Render: default;

But my issue is not with fonts on pages but on dialog boxes. Please, take a look at this snapshot. I tried to open a protected file and typed the wrong password and the message about the wrong password came completely unreadble.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lWl ... zlZQ21yOGM

eselma

Postby eselma » 18 Apr 2016 10:01

Well, sorry for the mistake; I did no noticed this was on a dialogue box. Then the problem seems to be related to either L.O. or perhaps the desktop theme. I see that the 'bold' message looks wrong, but the 'normal' text is right. As KDE is very configurable, perhaps you can try different fonts on the 'Look & feel' of the DE via [SystemSettings. Also the theme (I use QtCurve) can be tricky; I had to avoid the classic Oxygen theme in order to run BlueGriffon: very weird, indeed.

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 20 Apr 2016 21:59

Isn't it possible to configure libreoffice to use a different font in its GUI?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Apr 2016 06:03

Try experimenting with the settings under Tools > Options... > LibreOffice > View > User Interface section

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 23 Apr 2016 15:38

Schoelje wrote:Try experimenting with the settings under Tools > Options... > LibreOffice > View > User Interface section
It didn't work but there's something very curious about it.
When I get a dialog box with unreadable text if I click on the minimize button on the top of it, it's instantly minimized and brought back to the original size again (I don't bring it back, it comes back by itself in 1 or 2 seconds), then when it returns to the original size the text is readable.
It seems that these problems have something to do with desktop theme or graphic rendition. Does anyone have a guess?

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”