Can we get KDE Simple Menu in the SolydK 9 release

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
Fargo

Can we get KDE Simple Menu in the SolydK 9 release

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2017 18:12

Have you guys seen this? https://blogs.kde.org/2017/01/30/simple ... kde-store

I have played with an older copy of Maui Linux (based on NeonKDE) and they have the simple menu with KDE 5.8. I think the current Netrunner (based on Debian Testing also includes the simple menu. I love the look and feel of Simple Menu. It reminds me of Elementarys menu. Is there any way we can get this included with the release of SolydXK-9? I know the article above says Plasma 5.9 is needed, but somehow Maui and Netrunner seem to have it on top of 5.8.

ilu

Re: Can we get KDE Simple Menu in the SolydK 9 release

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 18:40

I can't find it on debian.org, neither for stretch nor for sid. Do you have a link?

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2017 18:52

I'll see what I can find. Reading the article I thought it could be downloaded as a widget. But I'm not sure if it will be available for KDE 5.8 in Stretch. Thats my concern. I'm downloading the latest SolydK alpha right now to see what I can find too. I'll post back if I can find anything more.

From the previous link:
While some distributions packaged it (e.g. Netrunner Linux), it's never been released properly and released - until now! Starting today, you can find Simple Menu on the KDE Store and install it via Add Widgets... -> Get new widgets in your Plasma

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2017 19:19

There is a link for the file at the KDE store. Unfortunately they say Plasma 5.9 is needed. I'll have to double check Maui and Netrunner to verify that they are using it with KDE 5.8. But I was sure they were. So maybe things have been backported already. It would be great if this could be included in the SolydK release.

https://store.kde.org/p/1169537/

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 13 Mar 2017 19:58

Fargo wrote:Have you guys seen this? https://blogs.kde.org/2017/01/30/simple ... kde-store

I have played with an older copy of Maui Linux (based on NeonKDE) and they have the simple menu with KDE 5.8. I think the current Netrunner (based on Debian Testing also includes the simple menu. I love the look and feel of Simple Menu. It reminds me of Elementarys menu. Is there any way we can get this included with the release of SolydXK-9? I know the article above says Plasma 5.9 is needed, but somehow Maui and Netrunner seem to have it on top of 5.8.
Did you, just as I did once, use Ubuntu and ran from it when they came up with Unity? This is just like it. Why would you want it? Keep it small, keep it simple and use the Application menu. Btw, in Plasma 5 KDE has an Application dashboard (or Simple menu as you call it) standard built in as alternative to the "normal" KDE menu and the Application menu, which I like. Just right click the menu button, choose alternatives and select the menu you want.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2017 20:33

I just booted up Netrunner Core 17.01. Its based on Debian Testing (currently Stretch) and uses plasma 5.8.2 and they are using Simple Menu as the default. So it does work on Plasma 5.8 found in Debian. But where the netrunner version came from I do not know.

EDIT:
SolydForEver wrote: Did you, just as I did once, use Ubuntu and ran from it when they came up with Unity? This is just like it. Why would you want it? Keep it small, keep it simple and use the Application menu. Btw, in Plasma 5 KDE has an Application dashboard (or Simple menu as you call it) standard built in as alternative to the "normal" KDE menu and the Application menu, which I like. Just right click the menu button, choose alternatives and select the menu you want.
Nope I've never used ubuntu, but I've looked at it. I hate the unity menu. You have to search for everything. Nothing is easy to find. I want to click on the menu and see a list of available programs. The KDE Simple Menu (KDEs name not mine) is exactly that. Simple Menu just happens to use large icons and arranges the programs in a grid instead of the traditinal column or tree view. I find it very easy to navigate. Its nothing at all like Unity. If anything its a rip off of the menu found in elementary's Pantheon. I think its very clean and easy to use. Everything is right there without the need for a deep cascade of menus.

Upon opening Simple Menu you will see a window with all the programs you have tagged as a 'favorite'. So your favorite programs are just one click away. On the right hand side you have your categories menu (All Applications, Graphics, Office, etc) along with options to shutdown/restart/logout/etc. Simply hover the mouse over the category to change between categories. Then click to open the program. What could be simpler? If one click is too much for you just start typing and a search bar appears. My only complaint is I would rather see the categories listed on the left side of the window directly above the menu button like Pantheon has it. Apart from that, I think this is the best menu I have seen yet.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 14 Mar 2017 00:35

I gave the latest alpha build of SolydK-9 a test run on a live usb. I found the Simple Menu in the widgets. However, it does state in the details that Plasma 5.9 is needed. Sure enough when I installed it, it gave me an error. So although Netrunner has it working with Plasma 5.8, its not a simple matter of installing the widget. They must have tweaked either the widget or something in Plasma to make it work.

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”