Plasma-Discover has no right to install updates

Questions specific to the KDE DE go here
ycom1andy

Plasma-Discover has no right to install updates

Postby ycom1andy » 23 Jan 2019 11:54

hi there, since some time I have the problem, that when updates notification come, and I then let them install with
Discover , I get the error message that " you dont have the right to install .... " , then I could take synaptic, though
it would be nice if there is a solution to the problem, synaptic itself has no update notification icon in the tray.

Has anyone a hint or solution ? Thanks in advance
andy gaal

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Plasma-Discover has no right to install updates

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Jan 2019 13:06

Make sure you are in the sudo group: start KUser and double click your account and select the Groups tab. Check the sudo group and hit OK.
Reboot and you should be fine.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ycom1andy

Postby ycom1andy » 23 Jan 2019 14:05

hi, thanks for the quick answer, i'm in the sudo group , still if I try to install via Discover it says "you have no authorisation to execute this operation"
could this be something with kwallet, since this is not active on my solydk ?

so looks my terminal output running an install via Discover:

Code: Select all

qrc:/qml/ApplicationDelegate.qml:79:17: QML Text: Binding loop detected for property "visible"
qrc:/qml/ApplicationDelegate.qml:79:17: QML Text: Binding loop detected for property "visible"
Failed to find package for "electrum.desktop"
PackageKit error: PackageKit::Transaction::Error(ErrorNotAuthorized) "You have no authorization to execute this operation" "Failed to obtain authentication."
Remove transaction: "totem" with 1 transactions running                                                                                                                                                           
failed PackageKit::Transaction::Exit(ExitUnknown) PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394ae1dc60)                                                                                                                         
Transaction error:  "Too few items to process" PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394ae1dc60)                                                                                                                            
failed PackageKit::Transaction::Exit(ExitFailed) PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394ae1dc60)                                                                                                                          
failed PackageKit::Transaction::Exit(ExitUnknown) PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394d8c88f0)                                                                                                                         
Transaction error:  "Too few items to process" PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394d8c88f0)                                                                                                                            
failed PackageKit::Transaction::Exit(ExitFailed) PackageKit::Transaction(0x56394d8c88f0)
andy gaal

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Jan 2019 07:24

The only thing I can think about are the groups your account should belong to.
Mine:

$groups
adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio video plugdev users netdev bluetooth fuse lpadmin powerdev scanner systemd-journal sambashare
Add your account to these groups and see what happens (I left out my account's user group of the same name).

If that doesn't change anything you could try to reinstall plasma-discover:

apt update
apt purge plasma-discover*
apt install plasma-discover
but I doubt that would change anything.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ycom1andy

Postby ycom1andy » 26 Jan 2019 21:49

thanks for your answer , still no authorisation, but this is a problem not really due to solydk,
many kde distros are having issues with plasma.discover, ...
andy gaal

ycom1andy

Postby ycom1andy » 26 Jan 2019 21:52

... now it seems when I run "kdesu plasma-discover" things work out fine, hopefully, it stays that way , so I edited the app menu list and modified the entry plasma-discover accordingly, ... still the update notification app still does not know about this trick ; - (
andy gaal

Return to “KDE specific (SolydK)”