Wanting to start out with KDE5

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
Zero Angel

Wanting to start out with KDE5

Postby Zero Angel » 07 May 2017 05:48

I've been using SolydK for about 3 years now and it's been rock-solid stable until recently (firefox has been causing my system to stutter/freeze on video), It's been so stable in fact that i've been rebooting only once a month. However, I'm building a new PC and want to get the get into more cutting edge stuff, namely KDE5 and virtualizing Windows for gaming. As such i'll be installing fresh onto a new SSD and porting all my files over to a new install.

So, what's the most optimal path for getting a KDE5 system up and running? And is KDE5 pretty stable with the nvidia driver, and just stable and feature filled overall or is there anything that i'll be missing from KDE4?

kurotsugi

Re: Wanting to start out with KDE5

Postby kurotsugi » 08 May 2017 08:42

I'm afraid the best route is waiting until new debian got released. else, you can use debian testing iso for the instalation. another route would be using the enthusiast iso but that iso is quite old and buggy. I'm on X so I can't say about plasma impression but from what I saw, it's quite rocking :3

patzy

Postby patzy » 09 May 2017 03:24

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 09 May 2017 23:05

patzy wrote:Maybe you might find this series on Customizing KDE5 helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsgB48Fr8Q&feature=youtu.be&list=PLbKR0OXmf-fg-olEJLukx6ytKN2CkVDjZ

I'm more talking more about how to get it running in the first place. Something like:

1) Download <name of ISO> file from here
2) Install it
3) Add <list of repos> to /etc/apt/sources.list
4) Do aptitude update and then dist-upgrade
5) Congrats you have Plasma 5!

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 10 May 2017 19:52

Zero Angel wrote:
patzy wrote:Maybe you might find this series on Customizing KDE5 helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsgB48Fr8Q&feature=youtu.be&list=PLbKR0OXmf-fg-olEJLukx6ytKN2CkVDjZ

I'm more talking more about how to get it running in the first place. Something like:

1) Download <name of ISO> file from here
2) Install it
3) Add <list of repos> to /etc/apt/sources.list
4) Do aptitude update and then dist-upgrade
5) Congrats you have Plasma 5!

I'm using Manjaro KDE a lot and it is rock stable, it has Plasma 5 OotB and it is a rolling release meaning new stuff. I also find it to be much faster than other distro's I have used, like SolydXK. Sorry to say this here but it is true. It boots faster, programs are opened faster, the whole look and feel is faster.
It is Arch based and works different from Debian based systems. So be aware of that when you decide to try it.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 11 May 2017 04:44

Thank you for the recommendation. I was looking for distros to scratch my Plasma 5 itch that were also rolling and pretty stable. I'll have to give Manjaro a try. That said i'll still easily recommend this SolydX/K to anyone else.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 11 May 2017 05:05

A bit late, but you can also try the SolydK 9 alpha version: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6781

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

tardy

Postby tardy » 11 May 2017 17:49

I'll second SolydForEver's opinion of Manjaro - I installed it a couple of years ago specifically to check out Plasma 5. At first there were a few glitches (all related to Plasma 5 updates - it was in its infancy then), but it's been rock-solid for well over a year now. It's a nice way to check out the new KDE.

Of course, my daily driver will probably always be Debian stable via SolydXK (my one true love :clap: ), but Manjaro is definitely worth a long-term visit. And their forum is cool too.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 07 Jun 2017 05:12

So i've been using Manjaro's Plasma 5 for a few weeks. My impression of it is that it's not actually much different than KDE4.

Some of the small inconsistencies in the interface have been rectified and the system tray applets follow the plasma theme better and theres a few small features/changes that are nice but it's by no means worth switching distros for if you're already content with KDE4 (although I wanted to reinstall the OS anyways since I've been on SolydK for 3 years and Manjaro isnt half bad either).

belze

Postby belze » 10 Jun 2017 11:20

i'm using solydK EE since .... well cant' remember, when did you start rolling it?
Never lost one working day. Just read forums and mailing lists, and kde in debian is gold quality, as usual. Even Plasma 5. I have better result in gentoo, but hey, debian (and solyd) is another story.
-------

Return to “Installation”