New installation

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
palimmo

New installation

Postby palimmo » 19 May 2019 12:47

Hi,
I'd like to reistall SolydK soon. I do not know if the actual version or the coming one. I'll see.
However: my hard disk situation is, as you can see here, complicated...
hd.png
sda 1 & sda 2: are windows/packard bell reserved partitions. I'm not sure if I could delete them. Probably not.
sda 3: win 7 partition. I know... it is very small and has no place left. But as far as I can see I have no choice and I cannot resize it easily. I do use win7 almost never, so... I do no really worry about that.
sda 5: solydxk partition. Only for the OS, since I have my data in the sda 6 partition. A little big bigger would not be bad, though.
sda 6: partition for documents, videos, musics, images,... everything.
sda 8: linux mint partition. Only for the OS.
sda 7: swap. I do not use hibernation, but sometimes I've noticed that my system uses swap, since probably 4GB RAM aren't enough sometimes.

In the future I would like to have only 1 linux OS besides win 7.

The easy option could be:
- merge sda 8 and sda 7 in a single ext4 partition (size ca. 14 GB) and here reistall solydk.
- convert sda5 to swap (size ca. 11,5GB). I know.. it's a waste of space. :roll:

Do you have any better idea?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

kurotsugi

Re: New installation

Postby kurotsugi » 19 May 2019 13:47

I'd personally prefer install solyd on 6 while using 7 as /home partition. merging 7 and 8 would be optional but since no hibernation is used, perhaps I'll merge them and use zramswap as swap replacement.

that being said, when I was in similar situation, I was forced to upgrade the ram. web browser will eat everything you have. using swap or zramswap is pointless when web browsers goes nuts

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 May 2019 19:36

I would get more ram if in any way possible and ditch swap. Before installing the new system I would combine sda7 and sda8 and shrink sda6 a little bit in order to get more space. Resizing sda6 is best done under Win7 since its not ext3/4. You could reuse sda5 for installation experiments or for additional data space.
If you don't dare to shrink sda6 you could also use sda5 as a separate /home. Maybe even squeeze 4 gb swap in there if that makes you feel better. In that case you could be ok with 14 gb for root.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 May 2019 21:44

my bad...it should be use 7 as / and 5 as /home. mint solydxk installation will eat ~6gb. you might think 10gb is enough but after a while, package cache will eat another ~3gb. you'll run out of space quite soon. hence, we suggested to merge 7 and 8 if you're not using hibernation

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 20 May 2019 05:57

Thank you for your tips.

What about this:

- merge sda7 and sda8 and here install solydk (the new partition size will be ca. 14 GB).
- split sda5 in 2 partitions (still possible?): swap (ca. 4GB) and ext4 (ca. 8GB). This /ext4 partition with 8 GB could be used as /home.
8 GB should be more that enough: in my actual solydk installation the /home folder ist after ca. 5 years only 1,5GB, since all downloads, documents, etc. are saved as already mentioned in sda6.

Otherwise, instead of /home, which other folder could be in the new 8 GB ext4 partition mounted?
(Per partition only a singular folder is possible, right?)

Thanks!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 May 2019 18:17

Since it's all inside an extended partition you can create as many logical partitions as you wish - there is a limit somewhere I don't remember.

/home would be the best candidate. If you want to save more space for root you could also make another partition and put /var on it - which contains the package cache kurotsugi was talking about. But you would need to watch this /var partition very closely because if it runs out of space you won't be able to boot. No problem really, if it starts getting full you can clear out the cache (sudo apt-get clean).

Come to think of it - we have a tmpfs setting for /var/cache/apt/archives in fstab which blows the cache into nirvana. (Its active on my system - my /var is at 1,3 GB atm.) So with this setting you could make /home, /swap with 4GB each and /var with a bit less (the rest). That will leave you with 14GB from 7+8 for root.

Or you buy a new SSD with 500 GB which is really cheap. You can clone existing partitions (Win) with gparted (if you do that you have to stick with msdos partitioning for the new disk too, not really a problem but necessary to know).

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 21 May 2019 04:38

I'm assuming that you're using a laptop. if that true....you can also buy this stuff and simply move everything in sda6 to the new hdd/ssd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJmMzz9L7Y

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 21 May 2019 06:00

thanks, guys.

Which folder is it supposed to be after a while the biggest? /usr?
Proud user of SolydK!

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 May 2019 16:21

Depends but I'd say too big for hda5. Check in your present system?
/usr is an important part of the system which I would not move away from root. Not unless you really know what you are doing and why.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 21 May 2019 21:06

the linux structure actually made for modularity so actually there's no harm splitting everything under root. it actually common practice during early days when disk capacity is severely limited. though, it's not practical in nowadays. the one grow fastest would be /var and /tmp. the other folder might be huge but it won't grow much.

it's not practical to split the structure without some reason. in these days people usually only split /home and shared partition just like you did. you actually gain more flexibility with integrated structure

Return to “Installation”