Dead key <dead_abovering>

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
ilu

Dead key <dead_abovering>

Postby ilu » 08 Jul 2019 14:45

I installed my keyboard layout with dead keys and they are working - except <dead_abovering>. <abovering> insists on being undead :D . <abovering> in my german keyboard layout is the leftmost key under <esc> used with shift. <asciicircum> (the same key used without shift) is as dead as it should be. :)

I want to get å Å easily without using the compose key.

Does anybody happen to know an solution?

bas_otten

Re: Dead key <dead_abovering>

Postby bas_otten » 18 Sep 2019 13:14

hi Ilu,

I was diving into this question today...
All possible keyboard models, layouts, variants and options are listed in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst.
Assuming for your situation you have some generic keyboard model, specifically need a german (de) layout, one would expect for your issue to require the 'deadtilde' variant, like this:

Code: Select all

bas@bashost:/ $>>> setxkbmap -layout de -variant deadtilde

bas@bashost:/ $>>> setxkbmap -query -verbose
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwertz)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+de(deadtilde)+inet(evdev)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)
geometry:   pc(pc105)
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     de
variant:    deadtilde
options:    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
But even with this setting I could still reproduce your problem: the 'abovering' stays undead. I tried all other variants of de-layout, but all that have the abovering at that position are undead.

I went on searching and found an excellent article on the subject here: https://medium.com/@damko/a-simple-humb ... 1ad5e13450.
Looking into /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de, I find the variant 'deadtilde' not containing any modifications for the <TLDE>-key which explains that to not have any effect.

But the article goes on about changing individual keys based upon your regular settings and without changing anything in the structure below /usr/share/X11/xkb/.

For the <TLDE>-key, keycode 49, you can change the specific keymapping to your liking like this:

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e "keycode 49 = asciicircum dead_abovering"
I tested this and it really works! The 'dead_abovering' keysymbolname is now connected to pressing Shift_<TLDE> and it functions as a dead key as the name indicates. The default for de-layouts is 'degree' at the position.
For the first position (without shift) I specified 'asciicircum' following the setting you already use, but you may also use 'dead_circumflex' (default-de) or 'dead_grave' (default-us). I just did not know how to placehold that position in the above command.

To persist the xmodmap-command across sessions, place a "keycode 49 = <> <>" line (without the qoutes) in an ~/.Xmodmap file.

Regards,
Bas

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Sep 2019 14:21

Thanks for coming back to this! I would love to have all these keys dead. Tilde too. But if you press the key 2 times you get the undead version, right? Like with the "roof" key ^ (which is the same as <abovering> just without shift)? Single press dead â, double press undead ^?

Looking for the right search terms now I found this concise tutorial https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188761. I did not use the xmodmap command but edited the file directly to get a persistent solution.

Edit: Tested and it works.

I will try the user-specific solution in the second post too, which is probably more update-resistent.

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 18 Sep 2019 16:20

Pressing a dead key twice usually prints the 'undead' character but not always (for example with layout-us double-quote yields ¨ instead of "). What always works is to press <space> after a dead key.

If you want to switch more keys to their dead version, search inside /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/de for "dead_*" to figure out all sorts of possible assignments you can make, and assign them to the keys of your liking using Xmodmap.

Return to “Installation”