Late to the Party again!

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
GeneBenson

Late to the Party again!

Postby GeneBenson » 13 Mar 2013 00:01

Finally got around to installing SolydXK Xfce 64 on my shiny new ssd. Just some observations:

During the install, when you get to the part where you choose where to install, you are presented with a list of partitions to choose from. At the bottom of the page is an option to make a custom install (I forget the exact text). I choose this option because I wanted / on the ssd and /var and /home on a hdd. Hit next and you are presented with a warning page describing some actions you will need to perform. This being beyond my experience/knowledge I abandoned this idea and selected "Back". Unfortunately you cannot undo this choice either by clicking the option again or choosing a partition from the list. All I could do was stop the install and begin again. Oh well. :o

The install went quickly after this. Nice and easy. :)

After the initial boot I started Synaptic to install some things and noticed that the "Mark All Upgrades" button was missing ala Mint. Well I knew the workaround for this but when I went to create the file

/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.preserve

I saw that it was already there and had the correct content!! Obviously this workaround wasn't working in SolydXK. Searching the forums gave me the new workaround. I needed to create file

/etc/solydxk/adjustments/10-solydxk-system-synaptic.preserve

When I went to that folder to create the file I saw that "10-solydxk-system-synaptic.overwrite" was there. I created the new file and added the correct content. After a reboot all was well with Synaptic. This raises the questions:
Why preserve in one place and overwrite in another? Change of mind?
Is "/etc/linuxmint" still needed?
Why is this button being hidden in Synaptic in the first place. If someone is smart enough to install SolydXK and to use Synaptic then they should be smart enough to use this button with care. ;)

Anyway, with Synaptic "cured", I started installing some software. With the default repositories I could not install Mplayer2. It would not install and told me I had a broken package. The same happened with Mplayer. After replacing "http://debian.solydxk.nl/production/multimedia" with " http://www.deb-multimedia.org" I could install Mplayer2. :shock:

I have always used smxi/sgfxi on Debian based systems to install the latest Nvidia drivers (sorry DDM) and was pleased to see it works just fine on SolydXK.

I find update packs boring so using zerozero's tutorial I switched to the Debian testing repository and that is working just fine. :D

Also applied the tip "Remove the translations" and this also works a treat. Very nice.

Just one last comment. That !@# update manager. I've used a number of distros in the past and this is the only update manager that will happily lie to you, claiming that "Your system is up to date", when it damn well isn't. I'm sure we have all read the countless threads about this very thing on the Mint forums. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but if you really want SolydKX to stand out then please, please do something about the update manager. Even if it's just changing "Your system is up to date" to "I haven't got a clue!" would be a small step in the right direction. :(

Anyway, enough of this claptrap!! Let me end by saying how pleased I am with SolydXK. A very solid release. Running sweetly here. Keep up the great work. :D

zerozero

Re: Late to the Party again!

Postby zerozero » 13 Mar 2013 01:04

Hello GeneBenson
very happy to see that you're enjoying SolydX 8-)

you raise a few issues here, let me see if i can give you an answer to some of them

1- installation:
the ability to install on different hdd was added recently (i never tested it tbh), it's possible that either there's some work there to do or the options are not put in a clear way (i remember reading something similar over at lmde's)

2- synaptic
yeahh it's needs fixing (for good :P ); was a missing path i believe , because as-is synaptic is "broken" and that missing "mark all upgrades" is right now the least of the problems;
in multiarch systems synaptic is useless for searching for i386 lib (i had that experience less than 30min ago); it just doesn't see them (installed or available) and when you are trying to debug broke dep. is frustrating.

3- deb-multimedia
we know :o the snapshot we took from debian+deb-multimedia had a couple issues regarding the multimedia stuff
i believe they are identified and already solved in our solydxk testing repo; anyway the april UP will solve them for good;

4- updatemanager
to be honest I had not noticed it and i believe that no one else on the team had.
of course i know the topics you are referring to (i posted in some of them :P ) and also the rationale behind that non-functionality but probably because i use a lot of times synaptic and apt that masks the problem.

(for the others reading this and not entirely aware of the problem, it goes like this (short version)
- when you start your system UM checks for updates as soon as it appears in the panel and then every 15 min (default behavior)
- the problem is that all that time UM is running as user and can't update apt's cache
- only if/when we perform a root action we are giving UM root privileges and then, yes, it can be effective.
we do need to look into that, because solydxk pretends to have a rapid UP cadence and no notifications can be an issue.

as you can see, very valid claptrap :lol:
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 Mar 2013 01:12

Welcome to SolydXK :D

I have no idea what I'm talking about :lol: so bare with me:

Couldn't someone (Schoelje) create a file on the server that is updated every time a UP is released, and the update manager would check that file every 15 minutes to see if it's been updated. It would then display a notification when a new UP is available. AFAIK this wouldn't require any special permissions.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Mar 2013 07:02

cwwgateway wrote:Couldn't someone (Schoelje) create a file on the server that is updated every time a UP is released, and the update manager would check that file every 15 minutes to see if it's been updated. It would then display a notification when a new UP is available. AFAIK this wouldn't require any special permissions.
I like the "someone" in there :D
I'll copy this to my (already extensive) todo-list. I don't have to get bored here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 Mar 2013 10:53

Schoelje wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:Couldn't someone (Schoelje) create a file on the server that is updated every time a UP is released, and the update manager would check that file every 15 minutes to see if it's been updated. It would then display a notification when a new UP is available. AFAIK this wouldn't require any special permissions.
I like the "someone" in there :D
I'll copy this to my (already extensive) todo-list. I don't have to get bored here.
Well, at least you aren't me. I just sit here clicking the refresh button on my email :lol: .
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Mar 2013 10:59

cwwgateway wrote:Well, at least you aren't me. I just sit here clicking the refresh button on my email :lol: .
Ooh, then I've got the thing for you: http://www.learnpython.org
I know you can do it, c'mon, yes you can! :mrgreen:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 Mar 2013 18:44

Schoelje wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:Well, at least you aren't me. I just sit here clicking the refresh button on my email :lol: .
Actually the thought had occurred to me a few times recently. I'll check the link out later (I'm on my phone right now).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

igorrocha

Postby igorrocha » 18 Jun 2019 07:33

cwwgateway wrote:
13 Mar 2013 18:44
Schoelje wrote:
Actually the thought had occurred to me a few times recently. I'll check the link out later (I'm on my phone right now).
It seems like I'm the one late to the party now, but if you don't like the idea of learning with an interactive tutorial, may I suggest another option?
Today there are several online courses, even for free, available on several websites. And there is a neat website that bundles them by subject so that you don't have to browse multiple course providers while looking for the best course: https://classpert.com/computer-science.

And it works on mobile too, so no excuses this time! lol

Return to “Installation”