Installation asks for Root mount/format

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
jtaylor3222

Installation asks for Root mount/format

Postby jtaylor3222 » 13 Mar 2013 23:10

Hi,

I just installed SolydK today, during the installation process it asked me to choose which partition to mount my root partition in. I was able to figure it out, but a person new to Linux may have issues with this.

Regards,

John...

cwwgateway

Re: Installation asks for Root mount/format

Postby cwwgateway » 13 Mar 2013 23:16

jtaylor3222 wrote:Hi,

I just installed SolydK today, during the installation process it asked me to choose which partition to mount my root partition in. I was able to figure it out, but a person new to Linux may have issues with this.

Regards,

John...
jtaylor, Welcome to SolydXK :D

This has been a complaint with the LMDE installer for some time, and SolydXK inherited it (although there was a lot of work done on the installer).

New users definitely benefit from automatic partitioning, which is in Ubiquity and some other installers.

I'd be surprised if this feature wasn't added eventually, but eventually could be a long time. Currently, Schoelje is the only dev and he already has a lot on his to-do list.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

jtaylor3222

Postby jtaylor3222 » 14 Mar 2013 23:39

cwwgateway,

Thanks for the update, I was just contributing my small part. The lack of automatic partition did not throw me off too far, but we need to keep a lookout in the forums for new users that may run into this. I suggest that the project provide and installation guide highlighting this fact.

Regards,

John...

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 15 Mar 2013 00:59

jtaylor3222 wrote:cwwgateway,

Thanks for the update, I was just contributing my small part. The lack of automatic partition did not throw me off too far, but we need to keep a lookout in the forums for new users that may run into this. I suggest that the project provide and installation guide highlighting this fact.

Regards,

John...
We have a video here: http://solydxk.com/community/tutorials/#sysinstall, but it doesn't go into much detail of what you actually have to do (you just see someone doing it).

Unfortunately, the LMDE installer wasn't improved on much from its creation until this last release cycle where Schoelje did a lot of work on it (and changed it for SolydXK). Hopefully Schoelje will be able to give it more attention when he is able (and the Mint guys may add features too).
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Mar 2013 08:21

jtaylor3222 has a valid point. So, I put it on my ever growing todo list :D

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Bubble

Postby Bubble » 13 May 2013 15:33

It would seem appropriate to add my experience of trying to install SolydK and asking for help here rather than a new thread.

Preamble: Over the last few years I have installed various distros across several multi-boot machines on well over 100 occassions so am not entirely ignorant of the process and the potential pitfalls. Up to now my worst experiences have been with my favourite flavour - Mint - which has an excrutiatingly slow and repetative probing (which has been known to screw up my systems) and be careful to look out for the opportunity to select where to install grub! The easiest is probably PCLos.

However, SolydK has me baffled and the movie linked to above doesn't help because it's a different situation.

Because they are multi-boot systems, I select manual so that I can choose which partition is to be used and where to install grub. Selecting where to put grub is easy but the rest has me defeated. It seems to require a pre-mounted partition at /target. But how?

The target partition - currently occupied by another distro but will hopefully be formatted/overwritten by the install process - can be mounted via Dolphin or KPartition Manager (no sign of Gparted in the menu system though Synaptic indicates it is installed and the movie uses it!). But how can the installer be pointed at it?

Am I missing something obvious in the dialogues? Perhaps SolydK doesn't like share a system with anything else?

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 May 2013 19:53

Bubble,

In the video (around the 0:44 second mark) there are two options (Install SolydXK on the selected drive and manually mount partitions). You want to choose the first one. It will allow you to choose which partition on the selected drive later (or to partition the drive). The second option AFAIK requires you to manually run mount commands in the terminal before running the installer. You don't want to do this.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Bubble

Postby Bubble » 13 May 2013 20:18

Thanks cwwgateway!

That is counter-intuitive to me (in other distros that would be manual)! As is the Edit Paritions button which then launches GParted but is not needed since it is apparently a right click on the selected partition to set it as root.

Anyway, installation now in progress...

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 May 2013 20:32

To make the advanced mounting thingy for the advanced users only, I hid that in the latest iso.
If you really want to do the mounting yourself, you must start live-installer from terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo "live-installer --advanced"
In your case you can follow the regular install route.

SolydXK needs you!

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 May 2013 20:39

Bubble wrote:Thanks cwwgateway!

That is counter-intuitive to me (in other distros that would be manual)! As is the Edit Paritions button which then launches GParted but is not needed since it is apparently a right click on the selected partition to set it as root.

Anyway, installation now in progress...
Glad it's working now 8-)

I hope you enjoy it :)
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Bubble

Postby Bubble » 13 May 2013 20:42

Update - I think it's stuck. Been at libgs.so 9.05 for 25min....?

Slideshow still on autopilot. I've read for other distros that disabling this feature can yield success?

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 13 May 2013 20:47

Sorry to hear you're having more problems.

I think the slideshow fix is specific to ubiquity (Ubuntu's installer).

Are you installing from a CD/DVD or a USB? Are you installing plymouth?

What's the output of:

inxi -F
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 May 2013 20:56

Did you check the md5sum after download?
Can you install from USB?

Before you start installing, start a terminal and start live-installer from there:

gksudo live-installer
This will give more info on what's happening.

SolydXK needs you!

Bubble

Postby Bubble » 13 May 2013 21:26

cwwgateway - USB and accepted install Plymouth as default option.

did inxi -F but can't post output as SolydK won't let me write to anything nor accept internet settings! (Perhaps as a consequence of aborting the install - or at least closing the window).

Is there anything specific you want to know about the output of inxi -F?

Oops - md5 does not match (must have been too blasse as I've never had a non match)! Re-downloing...I'll be back...

EDIT It occurs to me that the original downloads were on 6th April and SolydXK are rolling releases - with no version info in the name, the checksum would no longer match (nor did SolydX)? Anyway, reloaded, md5 ok so will try yet again!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 May 2013 00:30

Bubble wrote:EDIT It occurs to me that the original downloads were on 6th April and SolydXK are rolling releases - with no version info in the name, the checksum would no longer match (nor did SolydX)? Anyway, reloaded, md5 ok so will try yet again!
the last isos we released were on beginning of april (we didn't release any new isos in may), so the april isos are at the moment the newest available.
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 14 May 2013 00:55

zerozero wrote:
Bubble wrote:EDIT It occurs to me that the original downloads were on 6th April and SolydXK are rolling releases - with no version info in the name, the checksum would no longer match (nor did SolydX)? Anyway, reloaded, md5 ok so will try yet again!
the last isos we released were on beginning of april (we didn't release any new isos in may), so the april isos are at the moment the newest available.
The April ISOs may have been released after the 6th of april. The april ISOs did have version info (they were called solydx64_201304.iso), whereas all of the previous ISOs did not (solydx64_latest.iso).

Edit: If you have the old ISO, this would explain why you don't have the live installer fix.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 May 2013 01:12

cwwgateway wrote:The April ISOs may have been released after the 6th of april. The april ISOs did have version info (they were called solydx64_201304.iso), whereas all of the previous ISOs did not (solydx64_latest.iso).
absolutely right
http://solydxk.nl/new-solydx-and-solydk-isos-available/ (the april isos were released on the 13th)
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 14 May 2013 01:49

zerozero wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:The April ISOs may have been released after the 6th of april. The april ISOs did have version info (they were called solydx64_201304.iso), whereas all of the previous ISOs did not (solydx64_latest.iso).
absolutely right
http://solydxk.nl/new-solydx-and-solydk-isos-available/ (the april isos were released on the 13th)
Ok, so that would explain a number of the issues (not the installer hanging AFAIK, but others). It would explain the md5sum problem (although it's still possible the md5sum was incorrect), the manual option in the live installer, and the lack of a version number on the ISO.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 May 2013 06:25

You can always check the corresponding md5sums here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/
Just open the solydx or solydk sub-directory, and you find the old iso's and md5sums.

SolydXK needs you!

Bubble

Postby Bubble » 14 May 2013 11:10

Thank you for your input guys.

First of all the good news - installation went perfectly this time and a smoother experience than original attempts.

But, despite my original downloads on 6th April being labeled "latest" the last modified dates for above link are 13/14 April which I believe is why the belated md5's checks didn't match for either K or X. Further evidence is in the Hard Drive screen (44sec in movie) no longer has the "manual" button which caused the confusion from my first post and our subsequent dialogue!

Return to “Installation”