[Solved] Problem with multi-DVD

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
toothandnail

[Solved] Problem with multi-DVD

Postby toothandnail » 03 Dec 2013 17:52

I've downloaded the latest multi-DVD and used netbootin to drop it to an 8GB flash drive. Doesn't seem to have worked too well...

When the flash drive boots, I get the following error follwed by a "boot:" prompt:

Code: Select all

Failed to load com32 menu.c32
Any ideas?

Paul.

toothandnail

Re: Problem with multi-DVD

Postby toothandnail » 03 Dec 2013 20:23

:-) I love posting replies to my own messages....

Part of the problem is solved. The flash drive had been used for a netbootin install before. So I removed and recreated the partition, then formatted it fat32 and ran unetbootin again. This time it boots to the menu.

Having problems with several of the menu options.

Default - works
Solydx 32-bit - doesn't
Solydx 64-bit - doesn't
Solydk 32-bit - doesn't
Solydk 64-bit - doesn't
Memory test - doesn't. Error - cannot load a ramdisk with an old kernel image
Back to main menu - doesn't. Starts to load a kernel (by the look of it), then fails.

The other menu items work.

The ISO md5sum matched, and there were no errors during the netbootin run. Anyone else seeing these sort of problems?

Paul.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 04 Dec 2013 17:24

Though lots of folks swear by it, I've had mixed results using netbootin - most of the time I get a non-booter.

So, I use good old Linux dd command. If you don't have a running Linux install, any LiveCD/LiveUSB distro should have. You can read the man page on it, but the command I use is of the form:

Code: Select all

# dd if=<name of iso> of=/dev/sdX bs=40M
I get the output file (of) from running 'lsblk' which will return the location of the USB thumb drive; "X" will, of course, be "b", "c", etc - on my computer it's usually "f", "g" or higher just because of all other stuff I have hanging off it.

WARNING - be very careful of your output file! This command is very powerful but completely brainless. If not used correctly it will wipe a drive and walk away happy never looking back at the carnage it has inflicted. DAMHIK :lol: :oops:
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » 04 Dec 2013 19:14

Interesting. I always use dd to create bootable flash drives for Arch. I know that technique doesn't work with all distros/isos, wasn't aware that it would work with SolydXK.

Thanks. I'll try using dd and see if that gets round the problems I'm seeing with the copy produced by unetbootin.

Paul.

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » 07 Dec 2013 03:12

ScottQuier wrote:Though lots of folks swear by it, I've had mixed results using netbootin - most of the time I get a non-booter.

So, I use good old Linux dd command. If you don't have a running Linux install, any LiveCD/LiveUSB distro should have. You can read the man page on it, but the command I use is of the form:
Finally got the time to run dd on my 8 GB flash drive. And it works - the multi-DVD menu now makes sense and all the selections work. Looks like I'll be giving netbootin a miss from now on....

Thanks.

Paul.

Return to “Installation”