UEFI Dual Boot Installation Guide?

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
Omega

UEFI Dual Boot Installation Guide?

Postby Omega » 05 Feb 2014 13:09

I'm planning to buy a new computer, and I'm going to want to dual boot Windows 8 for my gaming needs.

I know that I'll need to disable secure boot, but from my understanding, the current installer doesn't allow UEFI. Is there a guide in getting SolydXK to dual boot with Windows 8 on a new computer?

From what I've been reading, Ubuntu or Fedora will be my best option after I upgrade until this gets sorted out. Another alternative that I've been reading is turn Legacy mode on in the Bios, install Windows 7, and then install SolydK.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

Deleted User 2764

Re: UEFI Dual Boot Installation Guide?

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Feb 2014 17:56

Warning: My views are personally mine and very biased due to the fact I have had a bad experience with Windows 8 and it was the reason I switched 100% to Linux!

I think unless your games you want to plan specifically require Windows 8, I think it's best to avoid a Windows 8 computer altogether and go with something with Windows 7 (and using "legacy" as you said). Windows 8 is very ugly and hard to use! I think dual-booting with Windows 7 / legacy would be the best way to go.

Or try to see if some of those games will work in PlayOnLinux.

Deleted User 1322

Re: UEFI Dual Boot Installation Guide?

Postby Deleted User 1322 » 14 Feb 2014 19:41

Hello Omega

maybe this link can help you. The instructions are written in German. I hope this can be helpful:
http://wiki.ubuntu-forum.de/index.php?t ... er:Klaus_P

Greetings
Hubsi

Return to “Installation”