Considering a move from Xubuntu

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
t0psy

Considering a move from Xubuntu

Postby t0psy » 21 Mar 2014 16:14

SolydX appears to offer all I get from Xubuntu without the pain of PPA's to keep sofware fresh and the LTS upgrade/reinstall headache.
I have run Solyd live and I am like what I see, it appears lighter than Xubuntu and I appear to be able to run all my software collection.
Can anyone suggest any pitfalls I may run into with SolydX v Xubuntu please?

drc

Re: Considering a move from Xubuntu

Postby drc » 21 Mar 2014 16:31

t0psy wrote:Can anyone suggest any pitfalls I may run into with SolydX v Xubuntu please?
If you have a seperate /home partition with data that you want to save, I'd suggest saving/removing all the DOT files and folders in /home before installing SolydX. They are just enough different that I have had a couple of issues when I didn't.

Merely a sideline, but...if you like the current Greybird theme in Xubuntu, grab a copy (themes and icons [/usr/share/) before you install SolydX over Xubuntu. The copy in the SolydXK repos appears to be an older version (12.04?). You can place them in ~/.icons and ~/.themes (you'll have to created them, they don't exist by default)

A final note: Xubuntu appears conduct almost all it's business on IRC, SolydXK here on the forum.

EDIT: This tread should probably be moved to another forum/channel, any number in the Support section suggest themselves.

t0psy

Postby t0psy » 21 Mar 2014 17:10

Thanks very much, I have a seperate home partition and I will follow your advise.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 21 Mar 2014 17:36

I generally rename my original home

/home/hinto to /home/hinto_bak

Let the installer create a new /home/hinto and then move only the files I need from /home/hinto_bak to /home/hinto

-H
---
[Edit] Topic moved to a more appropriate section. Thanks Hinto

Return to “Installation”