Network Manager doesn't auto-connect after July Upgrade

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
vtpoet

Network Manager doesn't auto-connect after July Upgrade

Postby vtpoet » 22 Jul 2014 00:31

After upgrading my Solydk 32bit system, Network Manager no longer automatically connects. Googling the issue only leads to old, probably outdated solutions?
Linux Reap what you tweak.

rokytnji

Re: Network Manager doesn't auto-connect after July Upgrade

Postby rokytnji » 22 Jul 2014 02:15

Is it enabled in startup?

I don't run KDE so I can't tell you where to look.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 22 Jul 2014 02:37

Thanks for replying. Network Manager does start up. It shows my home network but doesn't connect even though the connect-automatically option is checked. It appears to be a bug of some sort.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Jul 2014 10:42

There've been posts about editing a config file to turn on (or maybe it was turn off) network management. I think it was zerozero that posted it and it's been some little while. That might help.

Posted after fleabus' post: Yeah, what he said \/ \/ \/ \/
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 22 Jul 2014 11:36

Is your connection wired or wireless?

You probably are already aware of all this stuff, but In case it may help...

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#Features
Debian Wiki wrote:Wired Networks are Unmanaged

As of Debian 6.0 "Squeeze", NetworkManager does not manage any interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces by default.
During install, Debian's default behavior is to always set up an automatic, unmanaged, wired connection (eth0) so it can retrieve packages during install. Afterwards this connection simply remains as is on the system, and I always just use that....

I have my wireless turned off. Network manager is up and running, but it isn't managing my default connection, that default wired interface eth0. The connection uses dhcp, and I simply reserve a static IP for the wired MAC with the router.

Never could get a "managed" NetworkManager connection (setting managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf) to work with a static IP configured in /etc/network/interfaces, either by entering the info thru the NetworkManager GUI, or by doing it manually.... It's a work in progress...? :)

These appear to be Solyd's (and maybe Debian's) defaults, which I haven't changed.

Contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

Code: Select all

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Contents of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false
So far everything is still ok after the July UP....

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 22 Jul 2014 16:43

I'm at a jobsite right now, using their fibre optic connection (insanely jealous :evil: ) and my 64bit system, here too, is no longer connecting automatically (like it used to). So, something in the July UP has messed with a config in both systems. But don't have time to figure this all out -- back to removing windows and Eau de Mouse Poop.

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 27 Jul 2014 13:02

For what it's worth, I experience exactly the same behaviour. Networkmanager does not automatically connect to an available wireless network after each reboot, even though it was connected before. Not that it needs the password again to reconnect, it's just a matter of click-click 'Connect'. Clumsy but not blocking. BTW, with wired connection everything is OK. Searching on the internet does not help a lot so far. Anyone an idea how to overcome this?

Regards,
Bas.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Jul 2014 13:52

Something seems to have changed in the settings in the UP. Go into the Network Manager settings and check the box where it says to Allow All Users to use the connection. Then in the terminal, do this:

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
That should get it going again. From then on after you reboot it should connect autmatically again. Also you may want to go into System Settings and change the notification settings for the Network manager to not pop up a dialog every time you log in saying your connection is active, if you find that dialog annoying. In addition, KNemo users might (and might not) want to disable the notification for that as well.

Hope this helps.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 27 Jul 2014 14:59

Network Manager mysteriously started working again -- automatically connecting. I am -- completely -- flummoxed. I have no idea what changed. At one point, it "lost" the password to my home network. I re-entered it and (I think) everything has worked since then, including other networks. :|

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 27 Jul 2014 18:52

So far I could consistently reproduce the problem, but I'll keep an eye on how things develop over here. Anyhow, the suggestion that RavenLX provides works, so thank you for that! When I examined the Connection definition files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, it occurred to me that another user than the one I was testing with was in the permission list for this connection. That is, the definition from before I checked the box 'Allow all users to use this connection'. Perhaps that is the key to the strange behaviour that you see. But I don't have time to test this, since I'll be off on holiday tomorrow morning:-) But anyway, I still think this is a bug, because connection authorizations and the possibility of connecting automatically are two different matters.
Regards, Bas.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Jul 2014 19:32

I found this happens after updating a brand new install of 2014-05 iso to UP 2014-07 and with only one user ever created.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 28 Jul 2014 12:16

Okay, cancel that last announcement. I tried your workaround RavenLX and it seems to be working, though as bas-otten wrote, this shouldn't be necessary. This is a bug -- maybe KDE related, maybe SolydK related. I don't know. Both of my SolydK systems are affected.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 02 Aug 2014 01:06

Meh, still all sorts of problems. Whenever I visit other wifi sites, not only does KDE not connect automatically, but there's not throughput in the connection. I have to restart the network manager via the command line, let it re-connect, and only then do I actually have an Internet connection.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Aug 2014 03:36

Well, if you need to do that as a workaround, make a script to do that and then make a link to the script in your menu. That way if it goes down, just click to restart it. Although you should be able to restart it by clicking on the network you want to connect to, I've found that sometimes that doesn't even work and sometimes even restarting the whole computer is the only thing that helped. However, once it's set up with one WiFi spot, it is pretty stable. I don't roam with either laptop, really, so I don't know how other connections would work.

Sounds definitely like a bug somewhere.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 03 Aug 2014 21:15

Yeah, but the calculus is this: I could spend two hours trying to find a workaround to a mystery bug that might or might not work, or I could spend 2 hours installing a new distro or DE that will work. I''d file a bug report with KDE but I've never been able to successfully register with their site (all their security crap). On the upside, I ordered a Kudu Pro from System76. Should be here by tomorrow. I was going to install SolydK but this network manager bug is really getting me down. It's not the bug, so much, but the apparent lack of a solution. I want a system that "just works". I'm gonna' try out the latest Unity (which I've never liked in previous incarnations). I'll give it a chance.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 03 Aug 2014 21:41

have you tried to delete the stored connections (password+access point) and recreat them again after the upgrade?
it seems like this issue >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/201 ... 00094.html
bliss of ignorance

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 08 Aug 2014 11:13

Hey ZZ, deleting the stored connections hasn't helped. The bug only gets worse. When I go to one particular WIFI site, network manager (as it dithers) temporarily locks up the entire system. It's ugly. Unfortunately, I'm at work and so don't have time to collect more info.

However, I noticed that the latest version at Debian testing is 9.10. We're currently using 9.8.10. Is there any reason I shouldn't try upgrading NM?

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 08 Aug 2014 20:30

my immediate concern was the systemd dep but it seems that we should be ok in that front (the new systemd dep are installed, at least in my system and i'm using sysvinit

zerozero@home ~ $ apt policy libpam-systemd libsystemd-daemon0 libsystemd-login0
libpam-systemd:
  Installed: 204-8
  Candidate: 204-8
  Version table:
 *** 204-8 0
        500 http://debian.solydxk.com/testing/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libsystemd-daemon0:
  Version table:
 *** 204-8 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libsystemd-login0:
  Version table:
 *** 204-8 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
zerozero@home ~ $ 

however i'm almost sure that the problem you are facing is not in network-manager but in plasma-nm (the graphical interface KDE uses) that was renewed a few months ago.

before trying the upgrade to the new network-manager can you please try this >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... sma#p33330
if it doesn't work is very easy to revert and you can try the other option
bliss of ignorance

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 08 Aug 2014 23:09

Shoot, I didn't get your message in time (no fault of yours). I went ahead and upgraded network-manager along with 3 other dependencies shortly after my previous post:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libndp0

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libnm-glib4

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libnm-util2

The good news is that it seems to have eliminated the problem. Network manager is now functioning as expected on both my systems 32bit and 64bit. I'll wait a couple days before I pronounce the issue solved, so we'll see.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 14 Aug 2014 23:26

Okay, tested and upgrading didn't work. I followed the link you provided, ZZ, and hopefully it will temporarily (as you wrote) fix this little glitch.

Return to “Installation”