User Account Locks Up/Spins Out after July Upgrade

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
vtpoet

User Account Locks Up/Spins Out after July Upgrade

Postby vtpoet » 22 Jul 2014 00:54

I decided to make this a separate post, since the problem is fairly serious -- a complete show-stopper.

I created a separate account for my family to use, but after the July upgrade (32bit SolydK), attempting to use their account results in the system becoming utterly unresponsive. It acts as though there were a massive memory leak or as if it were maxed out swapping files. The system freezes while the hard drive spins non-stop. A hard reboot is required. I tried deleting the account and recreating a new one (same name and password - also deleted home folder), but the problem persists. I can TTY, but here too, trying to accomplish anything is a no-go. The CPU and HD act as if they're maxed out.

My own account still functions okay (so far, the only problem is network manager no longer connecting automatically). This is the first problem that makes me think I might have to compeltely reinstall the system? Any ideas?

Edit: Looks somewhat similar to this. The bug appears to have forced some users to switch DEs.
Linux Reap what you tweak.

ScottQuier

Re: User Account Locks Up/Spins Out after July Upgrade

Postby ScottQuier » 22 Jul 2014 10:47

I've experienced something like this with KDE (before I went to the dark side). My recollection of the path to solution included attempting to start Dolphin from a terminal to get a list of the error messages. One of the error messages thus returned pointed me in the right direction to fix the issue.

Again, IIRC, it had something to do with a KDE config file somewhere in the bowels of /home/<account name>/.KDE (or something like that, I'm working from memory here).
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 22 Jul 2014 22:02

Okay... this bug is effecting my own account too. So... as I write this on a second laptop, the affected laptop running 32bit SolydK (TTY8) is effectively locked up. The panel is blank, the mouse pointer is stuck on resize (though I can move it), and all the windows are frozen. I have System Monitor up, but it's frozen too -- not reporting anything since the lock up. The hard drive (light) appears to be spinning non-stop.

However, I have htop running in TTY1. Curiously, it's unaffected. CPU usage hovers around 20%. Mem usage is normal 1494 out of 3013MB, and Swp usage is 5/5859. If I sort by CPU usage, everything appears normal?

The only clue might be the STATE of the processes?

/usr/bin/plasma-desktop shows as Disk Sleep at 4.8 of MEM. KWIN likewise at 1.7 MEM. There are several listings for kcminit mouse. The only (R)unning process is htop. I'm at the edge of my pay scale here. I think there's a clue here, but I don't know what to do with it. Should all these processes be in a state of "Disk Sleep"?

EDIT: Okay, doing the same with my functioning laptop -- running htop in TTY1. There are no apps whose current state reports as (D). So, I'm willing to put my cards on the table. The problem appears to be related to the "STATE" of the apps. They shouldn't be reporting as "Disk Sleep". Googling the issue isn't elucidating. Any ideas? Where do I go from here?

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 23 Jul 2014 02:13

I think it's this bug. One respondent suggests removing gmail plasmoid. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'll try it. Not sure why this popped up after the upgrade?

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 23 Jul 2014 22:25

Okay, I'm not finding a solution to this.

If anyone knows of one, speak up; otherwise I wipe the installation this evening.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 23 Jul 2014 22:40

Grasping at straws with this one..

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 07#p547392

Folks are having a rough time these days with freeze coming and everything in flux, in both stable and testing...

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 24 Jul 2014 01:04

Huh. So... my daughter grabs the laptop, doesn't know it doesn't work, and watches two entire movies on it.

:|

I am... confused. I'm thinking there's probably an app responsible for all this.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 24 Jul 2014 01:17

Okay, here's something promising, from here:
Solved. Nfs share causes plasma to hang sometimes.
Thanks for reporting that. I had the exact same problem. In version
11.4 using KDE 4.6x and nor in 12.1 with KDE 4.7x. I saw that kdeinit
had a disk sleep status. Now I need to figure out if it's possible to
solve the problem without disabling the network connection. My connection
BTW was not NFS but via Samba to my Windows Laptop. Whenever the laptop
sleeps the connection sleeps as well and thus eventually KDE.
Maybe this whole problem is related to the Network-Manager bug after all? Any suggestions? Not sure where to go with this info.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 24 Jul 2014 23:24

I'm chiming in on a long shot here. When you said your daughter used it successfully, could moving the laptop caused it to be "fixed"? If so, then maybe it's a hardware problem? Drive connection loose? Memory connection loose? Maybe network card loose? Maybe needs to be vacuumed out? Overheated?

I wouldn't rule out checking for hardware problems. You're mention of 32-bit makes me think it's an older machine so checking hardware might be a good idea anway.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 27 Jul 2014 14:46

Thank you Raven, that's a good suggestion. It's possible, but I've got another theory.

Here goes:

I disabled the opensuse pipelight repository when I upgraded. I wanted to avoid any problems with repositories that were not, strictly, solydxk. Afterward, I noticed that among the apps stuck in 'Disk Sleep', were Firefox and the Firefox Libflashplayer Plugin-Container. Before my daughter got her hands on the system, I enabled the opensuse repository and upgraded pipelight, and that's when the disk sleep problem (so far) stopped. Could this whole problem be traced to that?

I'm not a hundred percent sure this has solved the problem, but so far so good. The system hasn't been freezing (fingers crossed).

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 27 Jul 2014 19:30

Sounds like you did fix it. I generally try not to mix repos because things might get mixed up and cause errors I can't fix. YMMV of course.

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 08 Aug 2014 23:20

No, I didn't fix it. It's come back with a vengeance. It seems at its worst when I logout of one profile, then into the other. First the plasma-desktop goes into "disk sleep", then Kwin, then anything else I try to use. Requires a hard reboot. As long as one never switches profiles, its seems okay.

Just to be sure it's not HD related, what's the equivalent of chkdsk in Linux?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 09 Aug 2014 00:19

Boot into a live CD or USB.
Get your /dev/sd# of your hard drive from the partition editor. Then replace /dev/sd# with your actual drive (ie. /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, etc.)

$ sudo e2fsk -yfv /dev/sd#

This should also help fix/repair the drive. Be sure to back up everything first!

yoast

Postby yoast » 09 Aug 2014 01:52

There is a chance it is one of the authroizations that KDE has on a file is broken/set wrong.
Happened to me once under Kubuntu. In that case I logged in under another desktop and used some KDE programs and then re-started KDE.

Log out.
Start Kuser, Ksysinfo,krusader, konqueror, kpat or some other KDE programs.
Log off
Login with sessiontype default/ KDE.

Can't hurt. Easy to check.
Good luck.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 09 Aug 2014 08:43

One thing you could always try in the future at least is to install a package called 'iotop'. Switch to TTY1 (CTRL+ALT+F1) and run the command. After iotop is launched, you can CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to the login screen, enter your log in credentials and then quickly switch back to TTY1 find out what command or process is thrashing your disk.

It can be more helpful than top/htop sometimes I/O does not always correspond to CPU/Memory usage.

Another tip if there's something locking a file or using it excessively is to use a command like 'lsof' (list open files):

Code: Select all

lsof | grep -i SEARCHTERM

vtpoet

Postby vtpoet » 10 Aug 2014 21:36

No bad blocks. It's a fairly new HD in an older HP 32bit DV-1000 Pavilioin -- easily the best laptop I've ever owned. It's much, much faster than my 64bit Acer Aspire, the latter even having more memory. Anyway, sad to say, I would have kept trying to sort it out, but it's the family laptop and it just wasn't working. I ended up installing Voyager 14.04/Ubuntu based. I love that distro. It boots much quicker, being XFCE, and seems better suited to the 32bit system. Being Ubuntu based, the PPAs, I think, make it better suited for family use -- much easier keeping things up to date -- and it will get 5 years support (3 for the Xubuntu base). Am using Compton instead of XRender. HUGE improvement.

That said, I'm committed to SolydK on my Acer -- despite the network bug.

I've been setting up my System76 Kudu Pro. I tried Unity. I lasted all of 20 minutes with that DE. I really don't like its aesthetics. All the themes strike me as ugly and it's utterly uncustomizable. I also don't like all the tweaking (like a thousand little paper cuts) to make the DE work the way I want.

Return to “Installation”