fresh install 201411

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: fresh install 201411

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Nov 2014 15:13

I'm sorry, I don't know how to solve that one.
Perhaps somebody else knows what to do.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Nov 2014 23:57

That one is really weird. The Downloads folder is mounted as home?

When installers don't succeed doing partitioning right, I use to do the partitions in advance before running the installer. In fact I do it this way a lot of times without bothering to check how good it works. Have you tried that?
that 2 is new to me but it seems linux mint is using the same also
That shouldn't be a problem. The numbers are for fsck checks at boot. The root partition should have 1 and the rest 2 (excluding swap). It's ok.
it seems in linux mint the root directory is listed first and then my custom directory, in yours the custom directory is listed first and then root. does that matter?
It doesn't matter. it's the way you arranged your partitions. I like to do swap first, then root and finally home, but sometimes I alter that order. It's irrelevant for typical partitions as long as windows (NTFS) goes first if present.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 21 Nov 2014 03:02

So why then isn't the home folder set up properly? Ive been using this method to manage multiple installs for years, of course, since some installers only allow the recognition of one physical disk for install, I've had to go back and edit fstab in many distros. Ubuntu derivatives haven't had that problem for some time though. On this install i am using only one physical drive and a separate partition mounted in /home/user/Downloads. Why is the installer failing to set up the home directory with the necessary files and folders?
Rebellion Against Tyranny is Obedience To GOD!

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Nov 2014 07:40

I really don't know. I installed the new isos three times and all them went well. And the same for the rest of the testers I'm aware of before the isos were released. Cannot figure out what went wrong for you. I cannot reproduce it.

So you modified your fstab to set home into the correct directory, and borrowed the files from root's home, don't you? Have you chown -R your new home after dropping the files? The correct method should be grabbing the files from /etc/skel and not root's. But for some reason, at least in SolydK, skel doesn't reflect all the files and folders you have in a home folder after a correct install or creating a new user account. (It seems it's ok in SolydX, I haven't checked it myself since I don't use it), but in SK it's not that way. Part of the stuff is hidden somewhere else and I haven't managed to discovered where it is yet. Really weird. Anyway, if you grab the stuff from root's home and chown it. I should work. It worked for me.

These are the differences I'm always having between /root and /etc/skel.

When a new user is created it doesn't match any of these two, but it's closer what you have in root. As I said before, I keep wondering where the heck the missing stuff in skel is stored... and more importantly, why??!!!

Another idea to try. Make a fresh new user and check if all the stuff is correctly generated there. You can either switch to that user and forget about the previous one, or just borrow the stuff from there instead of root's or skel.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 21 Nov 2014 09:49

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the cause of the problem?

Code: Select all

Executing: mkdir -p /target/home/lizzi/Downloads
Executing: mount  -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /target/home/lizzi/Downloads
Adding new group `lizzi' (1000) ...
Adding new user `lizzi' (1000) with group `lizzi' ...
The home directory `/home/lizzi' already exists.  Not copying from `/etc/skel'.
The Downloads directory has to be mounted on its own partition, so early in the process the necessary directories are created. Later the installer checks whether the user's home directory exists. It does, so filling it with new user items is skipped. Quite logical. The only problem is, in this case the fact the directory itself exists doesn't mean it's complete. In order to avoid this issue, the installer chould perhaps perform a more extensive check.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 21 Nov 2014 14:29

is there a command I can run to get /etc/skel into my home directory? this is new territory for me.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Nov 2014 14:45

Simply make the hidden files visible into skel, copy and paste everything into your home. At least in SolydK, doing it in Dolphin this way gets the right file permissions. You cannot copy stuff from your home to root, but you can the other way around. But as I said before the skel contents are incomplete in the KDE version. It seems they're ok in SolydX.

You can always do it from a terminal too, but this is faster and easier.

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 21 Nov 2014 15:29

Thank you.

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 21 Nov 2014 16:04

Ok, so here's the thing, that worked, sorta.

I went into linux mint opened the directory but had to use root permissions to copy /etc/skel to the home directory in solydx I used the file manager to change permissions of those files and folders to lizzi as they were owned by root in order to copy them. Not all files/folders did this work for. When i rebooted i was able to sign into the user account and the home directory looked set up properly but the permissions were mixed i used a root thunar to try to change them to user but i could only change the group owner, tried again with command line using sudo chown. Not everything is owned by the user still but at least i can get firefox to open. When i had first signed in, because the mozilla directory was owned by root, firfox wouldn't run except as root.

Snap

Postby Snap » 21 Nov 2014 16:11

did you used -R (recursive) and owner and group? Something like this: chown -R username:groupname path

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R lizzi:lizzi /home/lizzi
Should change everything.

lizbeth

Postby lizbeth » 21 Nov 2014 19:28

I forgot the -R Thank you!

Return to “Installation”