Install DVD does not boot [Solved]

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
aWanderer

Install DVD does not boot [Solved]

Postby aWanderer » 18 Jan 2015 15:25

I'm trying to install SolydX on a Toshiba L855D which already has Manjaro and Windows 8.1 on it. I was able to boot off of the GParted disk as well as the Manjaro install disk. Somehow I can't seem to get the Solyd media to boot, even after doing the "hold shift as you reset Windows" trick. Any ideas?

... also, I am searching for a Linux distro which is able to resume from hibernate on this laptop. So far Mint and Manjaro have failed (Windows does suspend fine).

jsalpha2

Re: Install DVD does not boot

Postby jsalpha2 » 19 Jan 2015 02:40

Did you check the md5 on the download? Did you make an actual DVD or use a USB to install? On my computer you press F11 to get to the boot menu, but there are many different ways. I usually use a program called Rufus on a windows computer and make a USB that you can test as live or install from.
Tutorials: http://solydxk.com/get-support/tutorials/

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 20 Jan 2015 07:17

The media works fine on a non-EFI motherboard from 2008.
Thanks for the reply.

Any other ideas?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 23 Jan 2015 15:56

aWanderer wrote:The media works fine on a non-EFI motherboard from 2008.
Thanks for the reply.

Any other ideas?
You may need to enable allowing the DVD to boot via BIOS. Also in the BIOS you need to turn off secure boot but not UEFI.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 25 Jan 2015 11:59

Secure boot is off; There doesn't seem to be a UEFI setting.

I also couldn't get Mageia or PCosLinux to boot either. Manjaro and Mint boot.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 25 Jan 2015 13:17

That is strange. If there is a secure boot setting, there almost certainly should be a UEFI setting as well somewhere in the BIOS. You might have to go through all the menus and stuff to find it. It may be hidden. Also you might try going into the Windows 8 service menu (which you can get to from within Windows in the PC Settings somewhere - Look for some advanced options). There should be mention of UEFI in those Windows menus somewhere.

Commando

Postby Commando » 25 Jan 2015 16:52

AWanderer, I have been asked if the issue I have with the installation is the same as yours, but I feel I need more details about your situation to answer that. Could you take a look at my topic and say if it is is also what you experience?

Live USB for SolydX BE 64bit halts at boot

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 26 Jan 2015 07:49

My system just ignores the Solyd media on boot, even if I press F12 and explicitly tell it to boot from ODD.

I did find the BIOS UEFI setting, it's on. The other setting is "CSM boot". Will booting from CSM allow me to install? Do I change it back after installing or something?

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Jan 2015 14:52

Ok, I was up against this last night when I was testing some burns. First, you need to go into your BIOs and look for something called Legacy Boot. Enable it. Then while still in the BIOS, go into the Boot options and select to use Legacy boot. Then go into your boot menu and look for the Legacy devices, and choose to boot from your CD Drive.

Note that if you are going to dual boot Windows/Solyd, you'll need to reset all that back to UEFI boot so that Windows will work. So you need to set up Solyd to do UEFI boot (there's instructions in the forum and site for this somewhere). Then after you have done the installation, and can boot into Solyd, Power Off the computer. This will somehow set things so you can go between the two OSs.

NOTE that if you boot Windows, and then find it keeps rebooting into Windows, go into your BIOS and set the boot order so that Solyd is booting before Windows is. You may have to set the boot order after installing Solyd.

aWanderer

Postby aWanderer » 06 Feb 2015 14:31

worked!

FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » 06 Feb 2015 15:03

aWanderer wrote:worked!
Good to hear :)
Make sure you put "[solved]" In the title so others with the same issue can see there is a solution posted here!
ImageLemonade

Return to “Installation”