New installer is great

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
SolydForEver

New installer is great

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Sep 2015 08:04

Hi,

After having used SolydK some years ago I now installed it again, this time in a virtual machine.
My objections in the past were that the installer was too simple, it was impossible to put parts of the OS (like /home) onto a different drive cause the installer only knew one drive. Yes, it was possible to move /home later and change the UUID in fstab so it could be found, but that's all part of the installation process the installer should take care of. Just my 2 cents.

Wow. Was I surprised this morning when starting the installation process. Not only could I now use 2 hard disks (although virtual) I could even setup a RAID0 with it. The installer, when placed in expert mode, gives tips about how to do that. I did find something in the tips which, according to me, could be changed a bit to make it easier, I will come to that later on.
It all went great and now I am typing this in a webbrowser, running on SolydK-64, installed on 3 RAID0 devices (/, swap and /home) in a virtual machine.
I installed LibreOffice 5 after removing 4 completely and things run great, installed Chrome which gave a different start screen than with other OS's in VM's. I normally see a log-in screen, either directly from Google or just Chrome is something I still don't know. After logging in my add-ons (from previous installations) come flying in and things just work. Now I missed the log-in screen so I had to add the add-ons myself. No big deal, but why and how is it different?
After installing libreoffice-avmedia-backend-vlc I have sound when playing a pps file, the default installed libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer just didn't do that.
Now I'm just trying some things to see if everything I normally use works, or will work after some changes. I did find that settings which normally have to be done manually (in other OS's) now were default already so no changes necessary, things like switching of the kwallet service and the evolvere icon theme I love so much.
Things look absolutely amazing and I am very impressed what happened with this OS in the last years. Great job.

Now, the one thing I noticed during installation which I think could (should?) be changed is this:
When the installation is nearly done it is paused to give you time to do some manual things in the new installation. When using a RAID for example the new installation needs the program mdadm to handle the RAIDs. You also have to manually edit the fstab file, which is a bit strange cause I would expect when installing software on a RAID device all details of this device (like UUID, name, etc) are known and can be written automatically in the fstab during installation. Obviously this is not possible.
The thing I noticed however is that in the tips you get about what to do and how to do it it says first to edit the fstab manually and then to chroot into the new OS to install programs like mdadm. Maybe I did something wrong and don't understand it completely, but I needed to chroot first to be inside the new OS where I could change the fstab manually with the correct information about the used disks.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge about it than me (everyone) can have a look at this and explain how this supposedly needs to be done.

But, that's a minor thing. Important is that I have a great OS running the way I want it to run (RAID0), it looks great, it feels good, I am really impressed. Thank you very much. :clap:

EDIT:
Yesterday I started writing a tutorial about how to install the OS on RAID disks and to make sure I write it all down as it should be written, I did the installation again (in another VM). This time I found a way to follow the tips in the installer to the letter, so I was wrong in assuming the tips were wrong. It all works as it should.
I expect to have the tutorial ready in a day or two and will place it in the tutorial division of the forums. Hope some people benefit from it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: New installer is great

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Sep 2015 08:42

I'm happy you like the installer, but the credits largely goes to the upstream developers. I only adapt some of the parts to make it fit with SolydXK's configuration. As I'm the only developer at the moment, I can only pick up changes that have an impact on as many users as possible. A raid configuration is not one of them. So, if you are a Python coder, please take a look at: https://github.com/SolydXK/live-installer (solydxk_changes branch).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Re: New installer is great

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Sep 2015 09:06

Schoelje wrote:I'm happy you like the installer, but the credits largely goes to the upstream developers. I only adapt some of the parts to make it fit with SolydXK's configuration. As I'm the only developer at the moment, I can only pick up changes that have an impact on as many users as possible. A raid configuration is not one of them. So, if you are a Python coder, please take a look at: https://github.com/SolydXK/live-installer (solydxk_changes branch).
No, I don't imply to have the installer changed to make it easier to install the OS on RAID, it's just the tips I saw are, according to me (or I did something wrong although things work great now), in the wrong order.
As I wrote earlier, it's a minor thing.

Return to “Installation”