Repository question

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
greywolf

Repository question

Postby greywolf » 27 Feb 2013 23:58

Here is my current /etc/apt/sources.list:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.solydxk.nl/ solydxk main upstream import
deb http://debian.solydxk.nl/production testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.solydxk.nl/production/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://debian.solydxk.nl/security testing/updates main contrib non-free

I understand your unique stuff is in the 1st line but my question is about the "debian" repos. Are they simply echos of relevant standard Debian Testing (plus multimedia & security)? If so, how often are they updated? Are they just snapshots at a point in time like the LMDE 'update pack' concept or are they intended to "roll" with "Testing" itself?

This is THE key question for me regarding continued use, for two reasons. 1st, whilst I would prefer 'rolling' release (notwithstanding freeze periods like now) Testing, I can live with monthly update packs if that is the plan. Anything longer than that though and I have to move on. 2nd, my ( and many folk I support) ISP has a comprehensive Linux mirror including a full Debian mirror. Any download from that mirror is "free" from Plan Download Quota. ( Here in OZ nearly all Internet plans have monthly data quotas attached so use of these mirrors can save dollars for people in the long run).

The mirror is ( rsync) updated every day to primary Debian site, so, use of the mirror means use of Debian Testing without filter. Will this screw with your unique repo stuff?

Truth be told, I will probably add your stuff to Debian Unstable/Experimental with Pinning for control, but, baby steps first. :) Just want to make sure I understand repo relationships.

cheers,
Greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

cwwgateway

Re: Repository question

Postby cwwgateway » 28 Feb 2013 00:12

We are going for monthly update packs. The second and third repos (normal Debian repo and the Debian Multimedia repo) will be merged on the first of every month to the SolydXK testing repositories. They will be tested for 5 days and then either released or rolled back to the next month. We *should* have smooth UP releases for the next couple of months (March and April and hopefully May), but after Wheezy is released Testing is unfrozen and it will be rather volatile for some period of time. It is possible we will have to skip a month then to wait for the bugs to get ironed out. A few of us are tracking Debian Testing and/or Sid with SolydXK (I'm tracking Testing), and we will try to identify breakages as they come in.

The exception to the update pack model is that the security repo will be synced daily with the Debian Security repo so that we get better security support (this was a problem with LMDE).

You shouldn't have a compatibility problem with your ISP's mirrors or with Debian in general (it's possible there will be breakages, especially as you travel into Sid and Experimental). I'd think at the least you will have less problems than with LMDE.

Edit: I forgot to include this link that explains the UPs a little bit better (you can find it in the update manager too): http://debian.solydxk.com/production/update-pack.html.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 28 Feb 2013 00:27

Hi Greywolf

The quick answer is that we tend to mimic the LMDE "Update Pack" (UP) paradigm but with our own repo. We aim to offer more rapid UP's. They will be released monthly. The 1st of the month is being talked about, but not written in stone as of yet. With both KDE, and XFCE being more stable DE's (noting the rapid, and extreme changes in Gnome), we believe that monthly UP's should not be a problem.The current iso comes with UP1. We go officially live March 1st,and UP2 is tentatively scheduled for April 1.

You can of course always track Debian Testing (as a matter of fact I have two SolydX installs. One tracking UP's and one tracking Debian Testing), but our repo UP's are default.

Sorry, I can't answer your question on mirrors/repo. I'll leave that to the Admin. They should be around before too long.

Thanks for the interest.

EDIT:
cww beat me to it.... :lol:
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 28 Feb 2013 00:39

GeneC wrote:Hi Greywolf

The quick answer is that we tend to mimic the LMDE "Update Pack" (UP) paradigm but with our own repo. We aim to offer more rapid UP's. They will be released monthly. The 1st of the month is being talked about, but not written in stone as of yet. With both KDE, and XFCE being more stable DE's (noting the rapid, and extreme changes in Gnome), we believe that monthly UP's should not be a problem.The current iso comes with UP1. We go officially live March 1st,and UP2 is tentatively scheduled for April 1.
The fact that Xfce and KDE are stable desktops is a very important detail that I completely forgot, so I'm very glad you mentioned it. LMDE UP 4 was delayed considerably (a from September to April IIRC) because Clem was waiting for Gnome 3.2 to migrate into Debian Testing completely and for the Gnome Shell issue to be resolved in his opinion. Update Pack 5 was then delayed for a number of months I believe (but I'm not sure) because they were waiting for Gnome 3.4 and the freeze (although I think it waited for a few months after both of these had happened). Update Pack 6 came a few months after that, and at that point was considered a "quick and small" update pack. The next UP will most likely wait until Wheezy is released.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 Feb 2013 01:46

what went wrong with lmde's UPs is documented in several places at the mint forums and in my opinion was a combination of bad luck timing with testing (something that can also happen with us) and give priority to other projects (something that i don't see happen with us.

our focus is clearly in the monthly update-packs (unless we can't solve the issues that testing throws at us :evil: ) furthermore security will be synced daily (as was already said above)
bliss of ignorance

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 28 Feb 2013 02:06

zerozero wrote:what went wrong with lmde's UPs is documented in several places at the mint forums and in my opinion was a combination of bad luck timing with testing (something that can also happen with us) and give priority to other projects (something that i don't see happen with us.

our focus is clearly in the monthly update-packs (unless we can't solve the issues that testing throws at us :evil: ) furthermore security will be synced daily (as was already said above)
Hopefully we won't fall into the same trap and we will have some luck with Testing. The next few months should be okay, it's what happens after that that worries me... Unfortunately I could definitely envision missing a month while waiting for Wheezy to calm down. Hopefully afterwards we will be able to fix any problems that pop up.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing