Desktop Testing

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
loudermp

Desktop Testing

Postby loudermp » 16 Oct 2016 19:32

I have installed SolydX which uses the XFCE desktop, my question is there a recommended way to install the KDE desktop and make it the default on boot or is it easier to just install using SolydK?; I like SolydXK as a replacement for windows I am just trying to see which desktop I like better before I make my final install which will over write windows/

Thanks

SolydForEver

Re: Desktop Testing

Postby SolydForEver » 16 Oct 2016 19:38

I would install SolydK and not include the KDE desktop in the SolydX setup. Two desktops are known to interfere and cause problems.

Zill

Postby Zill » 16 Oct 2016 19:53

SolydForEver wrote:I would install SolydK and not include the KDE desktop in the SolydX setup. Two desktops are known to interfere and cause problems.
+1

It is not a good idea have multiple DEs on the same system, particularly if you want to use a common /home directory. Each DE has its own (hidden) config files and you can hit problems with different versions of software. The menu system will also be totally confusing as there will be a mixture of XFCE and KDE apps with similar functions.

The easiest way to test different DEs, and complete distros, is simply to run each one directly from a USB or DVD as a "live" session, without installing to the HDD. This will give you a flavour of the system, albeit running slightly more slowly than when properly installed.

Alternatively, if your machine has sufficient resources, you can test a different DE/distro in a VM.

loudermp

Postby loudermp » 16 Oct 2016 20:02

Thanks all, I think I may look into the VM option, I have never tried it even in windows, what VM software would someone suggest and does any one have any tips?

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Oct 2016 22:59

Start with virtualbox, that is the easiest to use package and usually enough. Install all packages from the repo starting with virtualbox, except those named -source and -dbg. Read up on how to activate the guest additions in jessie, you will probably need them. If you stumble over any guide talking about kernel modules and compiling, look for another one. The whole process can be done with mouse clicks. Sadly I don't remember exactly how I did it. A virtualbox tutorial would really be something nice to have here.
When you are more experienced with virtualization you might want to explore other options (qemu, kvm, xen) but not now.

belze

Postby belze » 17 Oct 2016 17:33

i jave multiple DEs and i'm happy. Debian does not force you to have a priority desktop.
Enjoy your freedom!
Anyway, please backup your data. :clap:
-------

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 21 Oct 2016 19:18

ilu wrote:A virtualbox tutorial would really be something nice to have here.
Am working on it right now. Just be patient, it wil come.

Return to “Installation”