Solydk hangs on boot after hardware upgrade

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
mangler

Solydk hangs on boot after hardware upgrade

Postby mangler » 31 Dec 2016 14:51

I just did a major hardware upgrade (went from a AMD Phenom X2 with Geforce 210 to an I5-6600k with integrated graphics).

Anyway Solydk will not boot anymore. :facepalm:

Is there a boot option I can use to get more information, or to force detect the new hardware? Obviously, I'm quite useless in Linux. :) Next I will try to see if it will boot with the install dvd.

PS Booted fine with the install DVD (although resolution seems to be 640*480). So I think all I need is the boot with one of the command line options and somehow repeat the commands that are on the live DVD. Any insight appreciated.

Zill

Re: Solydk hangs on boot after hardware upgrade

Postby Zill » 31 Dec 2016 15:33

If you can get to a command prompt, such as with Ctrl-Alt-F1, then I suggest you could remove all the NVidia packages (as these are, presumably, no longer required) with the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
Then reboot and, if the SolydK GUI is restored, you could run the DDM (Device Driver Manager) to see if any alternative video drivers are recommended. If you are now running Intel integrated graphics then it is possible that no additional drivers will be required.

Alternatively, if you cannot get to a command prompt, then you could try booting to the recovery mode. Hit either "Shift" or "Esc" while the computer is booting and the grub2 menu should appear and allow you to select the recovery mode. Then proceed to purge all the nvidia packages with "apt-get purge nvidia*".

Caveat: I don't run Nvidia and so cannot give any assurance that this will work. I suggest you may prefer to wait for further advice from an Nvidia user before proceeding.

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 16:10

mangler wrote:Anyway Solydk will not boot anymore. :facepalm:
This seems a bit vague to me. So you switch on your machine and nothing happens? Or, more probably, something happens, but you need to tell us exactly what and where the system hangs. There are several possibilities (pre-Grub, Grub and post-Grub) which need different approaches - bios boot order, grub configuration options and, lastly, what Zill said.

For future upgrades: Always deinstall graphic drivers before changing the hardware. Get the system as much near stock as possible.

mangler

Postby mangler » 31 Dec 2016 16:37

System hangs after

OK Started Authenticate and Authorize Users to Run Privileged Tasks

Just a blinking cursor after that.

I will try Zills approach removing Nvidia drivers. I can get to a command prompt in recovery mode. However recovery mode will also halt boot after I press Control-D to continue. Last message on screen is:

Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

Then blinking cursor.

PS after Zill nvidia purge system behaves differently on Normal boot. I get a command prompt

solydxk login:

Once I put my root login and password it logs me in but all I get is a command prompt. No graphic interface.

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 17:03

So we are in the post-Grub section - booting went ok but the system doesn't load completely. Did you get the nvidia graphic drivers removed?
If not, you might try temporarily adding the boot option "xforcevesa" as explained here: https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Bootoptionen/ - only in german though, I could not find something as detailed in english.

You might also find more troubleshooting tips here: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computi ... -1315203/3. It's about Ubuntu but Debian should not be too different.

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 17:07

We were posting at the same time ... The kernel is booting again which is good. But now xserver refuses to start because it can't find its drivers or xorg.conf is wrong. Nvidia is somehow finicky, but I don't know details because I always had ATI.
Try entering "startx" by hand and post what happens.
Maybe also try booting with "xforcevesa" and report back.

mangler

Postby mangler » 31 Dec 2016 17:24

Ilu,

Thanks for helping out on this.

Startx gives the following errors:

Fatal sever error:
No screens found (EE)
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Xinit: giving up
Xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
Xinit: server error.

Then I am back to the root prompt.

Don't know how to boot with xforcevesa...

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 17:55

In the grub boot menu you choose the standard entry and press "e" for edit (I don't want to boot right now but I think that was it) and then you see a line with commands and boot options where you can enter xforcevesa at the end. Maybe change the word "splash" to "nosplash" too so you'll see more during startup.

I'll go reboot now to check.

You look for the words "quiet splash" and change this into "quiet nosplash xforcevesa".

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 Dec 2016 20:56

mangler wrote:...
PS after Zill nvidia purge system behaves differently on Normal boot. I get a command prompt

solydxk login:

Once I put my root login and password it logs me in but all I get is a command prompt. No graphic interface.
Please don't try to login to a GUI as root. This is insecure and may cause permission problems with user accounts.

You should only login to the GUI with your user account.

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 21:15

Zill, he is not on a GUI but on the command prompt. But you are right, he should still use his user account to login and get root priviledges with sudo if necessary.

mangler

Postby mangler » 31 Dec 2016 23:44

ilu wrote:In the grub boot menu you choose the standard entry and press "e" for edit (I don't want to boot right now but I think that was it) and then you see a line with commands and boot options where you can enter xforcevesa at the end. Maybe change the word "splash" to "nosplash" too so you'll see more during startup.

I'll go reboot now to check.

You look for the words "quiet splash" and change this into "quiet nosplash xforcevesa".
Got it. Will try this as soon as I get home. Happy New Year!

mangler

Postby mangler » 01 Jan 2017 01:10

No go. The provided nosplash forcevesa options still boot me to the command line like before, no graphic interface.

Seems to me I need a custom xorg.conf file, tailored to my Intel HD530 integrated GPU?

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jan 2017 06:23

Either that or there are some remnants of nvidia stuff left.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
should print your present file. Have a look for any nvidia stuff there. You could try to rename the file and see whether the xserver starts with defaults.

Or it might be a general problem with the 530 - that's skylake, isn't it? I've searched a bit and saw reports about problems with skylake graphic.
You should read up on Intel Graphics and your 530, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics is a good start. Arch is not debian so things might be a bit different on your system, but Arch has the best wiki. They have a section about skylake there. There's also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211420.
Do you have plain Solydk or EE? Please report the output of

inxi -Fzx
Debian stable kernel could be too old. You might need a 4.xx kernel from backports. You can try the boot parameter mentioned in ArchWiki but before you install a kernel from backports please wait for someone more experienced with Nvidia and KDE and skylake than me and Zill. We both use SolydX and we both don't have bleeding edge technology.

mangler

Postby mangler » 01 Jan 2017 13:30

Given that people with way more skill are having issues with Skylake and the HD530, I just installed an older Geforce GT730 and disabled the integrated GPU. I will wait for the solydxk kernel to cross 4.4 to try again.

Now since I purged all nvidia drivers I am still getting the command prompt on boot. Can you tell me how to get the geforce gt730 working? I am guessing I have to reinstall the drivers? Tried xforcevesa and that did not get me to the GUI either.

Thanks again for all your help, although windows boots fine I'd rather not go back :D
Attachments
tmp_867-IMG_20170101_084338-800x6001405433386.jpg
tmp_867-IMG_20170101_080222-768x10241341325422.jpg

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Jan 2017 15:26

I suggest you could try the following:

apt install nvidia-detect
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot
startx

mangler

Postby mangler » 01 Jan 2017 16:14

Success! Got the GUI back!

Many thanks to yourself and Ilu for walking me through this.

I will just wait for Solydxk to embrace kernel 4.4.x before I try again with the onboard video. Funny because it is actually faster than the gt730 that I am using now...

This is the price you pay for stability I guess. A bit iffy with cutting edge hardware. I did see Intel released new Linux drivers on 12/20/2016, so I might try my hand at it now that I have my trusty GUI back :D

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jan 2017 17:54

I did a bit of reading yesterday night and the situation with Intel is still wonky. Debian even decided not to use the Intel drivers because they were too buggy. If you can live with nVidia for a while I would do so. The next Debian version (stretch) will come in spring and we'll see what they decide to do about skylake graphics till then. Maybe keep an eye on the news and wait it out.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Jan 2017 22:24

actually, intel always have best situation on linux. there was two intel driver. one is old and buggy. the other one is good but not so compatible with older devices. debian decided to remove that old buggy one so that user could use the better one as default. the development process is different compared with windows (remember that linux is a monolithic kernel) so that new driver additions are generally slower than Windows.

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 04 Jan 2017 14:49

Though you say you have it working, you might want to take a look at Step 3 this post
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

Return to “Installation”