Installation

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
mhwelsh

Installation

Postby mhwelsh » 07 Feb 2017 14:11

When installing (here I am installing a SolydX ee edition) there is a note referring to the anticipated length of time for an install.
The last stage of the procedure appears to be 'Update the new system' and this appears to update the whole new system regardless of whether it is needed.
With SolydX you are lucky as you can initiate the Network Monitor and you can see what is happening otherwise you are waiting and praying for many minutes even on a 2Mbps line.

Two suggestions;
Filter the input so that only software that has changed is updated.
Make a note on the installer display about what to expect during this final phase.

It has been updating the system for nearly an hour!

martin welsh

grizzler

Re: Installation

Postby grizzler » 07 Feb 2017 19:12

The only packages that are upgraded during installation are the ones that have been changed since the ISO was built.

The EEs are based on Debian Testing. At times, this can have as many as 300 changed packages a week. You can imagine the number after two or three months. The EE ISOs currently on the main download page are six months old...

I initially tried to provide new EE ISOs every one or two months (the ones in the ce/testing repository). As you have been able to read in the various relevant forum threads, recently several issues have made creating truly useable EE ISOs more or less impossible.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 07 Feb 2017 20:37

You can avoid updating if you "pull the plug" during installation. No internet = no updates. Country and language config won't work in that case, but you can always do it manually afterwards.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 08 Feb 2017 14:15

The iso was downloaded this week 201607 so perhaps there is a lot to download. Unfortunately nightly builds are XK only, no testing.
Having waited for ages for the usb stick to update the system as soon as it restarted it asked for more updates. Twice! I noticed that these were coming from mirror.bytemark.co.uk and another repositary that I have not recorded. Very suspicious.

Perhaps I will start again taking Ilu's advise - no internet!
This way I can keep a better check.
I will also format both / & /home and go for a clean sweep.
I will also make sure that after each UM update all of the packages are fully installed.

Now for a bit of cross posting.-
AMD Radeon Wrestler HD6320 has no drivers available in EE.

As far as suggestions go I think that this information would not go amiss in the notes displayed during the download.

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Feb 2017 18:33

No radeon drivers? or no fglrx drivers?
Older AMD cards had a problem in stretch. I haven't investigated the actual situation at the moment but I think since AMD changed its driver modell the problem will stay. That's why one of my systems will probably have to stay with jessie.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 09 Feb 2017 10:49

This means that users presently on Stable will get blank screens when they upgrade to the present testing.
Here I am referring to the proposed Debian changes in the near future.

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Feb 2017 11:53

mhwelsh wrote:Here I am referring to the proposed Debian changes in the near future.
Which future changes?
mhwelsh wrote:AMD Radeon Wrestler HD6320 has no drivers available in EE.
You did not answer my question - did you mean no drivers at all? Blank screen? On the stretch system I installed 6 month ago the open drivers worked. Just no propietary ones. fglrx will have to be deinstalled before upgrading.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 09 Feb 2017 13:36

I tried to update Solydx to testing, a situation that I believe is forecast for the not to distant future when Testing becomes Stable. it did not work.
Radeon drivers - blank screen-should have deinstalled first!.
Now I am trying to install Solydx ee and am advised that there are no Radeon drivers available in Testing.
Hence my probably invalid surmise.

As a matter of interest there are about 1600 updates required for Solydx ee 201607.
The Radeon drivers may be in them.
When the updates are all loaded in I will check with dpkg -l and find out why it will not carry out a Hardware update.

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 10 Feb 2017 00:48

AMD changed their driver model, so radeon is a thing of the past. The new drivers are called amdgpu but won't support older cards. At least that was the situation about six month ago. But when I installed EE about that time, default drivers worked, whatever they were. But it was a fresh install.

But you are right, there should be a warning for all AMD users: don't upgrade, reinstall. And more testing is needed.
This should be moved to testing zone.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 10 Feb 2017 16:15

After adding all of the updates ( >1500) there wer still 270 that refused to upgrade.
In desparation I altered the sources list so that it no longer went to all sorts of repositries and restricrted it to debian only.
They all updated normally.

I will take the missing Graphics drivers to "Testing".

Thanks for helping.

martin welsh

Return to “Installation”