Can't login after fresh install

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
rex

Can't login after fresh install

Postby rex » 17 Mar 2017 11:28

Just installed for the first time SolydK 64bits, the latest version, on my Acer aspire 7735Z.
Can't login, system comes every time with the Login window. Did the install 3 times, still the same problem.

Installed on sda 1 with swap and /home. before On sda1 was PCLinuxOS. I just formatted sda1 / and left the rest as with PCLOS.
How to act now?

Regards
Jan

[Solved!]

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Can't login after fresh install

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Mar 2017 13:01

Hi Jan, and welcome to our forum!

Did you verify your ISO download with GPG or SHA?
Check the download page to get the verification files.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Mar 2017 15:31

Can't login, system comes every time with the Login window.
I'm not sure I understand correctly what's happening. Whenever you try to login, the system reboots? That would be really strange. You used the image form Jan 2017, I suppose? Not one of the nightlies?
Or whenever you login, the login screen reappears? That would mean that you are giving the wrong credentials. Does it show the right username? Are you really sure, that you enter the right password? Did you check the usual culprits - caps lock, num lock, keyboard layout?

rex

Postby rex » 17 Mar 2017 21:40

The system does not reboot but indeed comes back with the login screen. as you said "the login screen reappears"
And yes I did use the right credentials, the right keyboard layout, username and password no capslock right numlock and so on.

This is the iso I installed: solydk_8_64_201701

The only thing I can imagine is that I did not format the whole sda but used swap and /home partition which I did use for PCLOS I simply installed at / partition.

And thanks for your welcome words :D

rex

Postby rex » 17 Mar 2017 21:41

no I did not

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Mar 2017 09:34

Replace your_user with the user name you want to fix.
  • In Grub, select "Advanced options..."
  • Then select "recovery mode"
  • Login as root/root_password
  • Code: Select all

mv /home/your_user /home/your_user.bak

cp -r /etc/skel /home/your_user

chown -R your_user:your_user /home/your_user

reboot
If all went as it should, you will get the default desktop. You can find your old files in /home/your_user.bak

SolydXK needs you!

rex

Postby rex » 19 Mar 2017 16:50

After starting up with Recovery mode and login with root I could enter the system. it did not look well.
Did the install from a boot-able usb stick,
Burning a dvd now and try again.

Verify with key is not simple for me. Is this not possible with md5 checksum?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Mar 2017 17:01

No, we abandoned md5 because of safety issues.
GPG is preferred and if that cannot be used we also offer SHA256.

It did not look well...can you be more specific?

SolydXK needs you!

rex

Postby rex » 30 Mar 2017 15:13

With " it did not look well" I would say there was only an empty desktop.

After burning the iso on a dvd the install was okay. its up and running on my Acer laptop and the 32 bits XFCE version is up and running on an older laptop for our RepairCafe at Doetinchem.

Therefore I do have an other question.
I'm the root account and installed Dropbox. I created a new user for the Repaircafe. it is not possible to install software in a normal (not root) user.
How do I install packages in a normal user account.

And something else, I would prefer Megasync as cloud service. this is not in synaptic.
For me Megasync is better for privacy than Dropbox because the servers of Dropbox are in VS. Is it possible for you to put Megasync in the repository.
In synaptic for PClinuxOS you will find Megasync.

Regards, Jan

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 30 Mar 2017 17:18

Hi Jan
rex wrote: Therefore I do have an other question.
I'm the root account and installed Dropbox. I created a new user for the Repaircafe. it is not possible to install software in a normal (not root) user.
How do I install packages in a normal user account.
Only accounts with root permissions (or those accounts that have had their permissions temporarily elevated) may install, remove, or update software. This is at the very heart of the security model which keeps GNU/Linux secure and (virtually) immune to all the nasties that Windows users have to contend with on a daily basis.

You can use the "sudo" command to affect system changes from a "normal" account - this is the permissions elevation to which I referred above. This is done by (for example):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
The above will update the package database in your installation, reflect between that and what you have installed, and upgrade those packages that need it. It's the "sudo" command that, in combination with the user entering their password, that brings about the permissions elevation.
rex wrote: And something else, I would prefer Megasync as cloud service. this is not in synaptic.
For me Megasync is better for privacy than Dropbox because the servers of Dropbox are in VS. Is it possible for you to put Megasync in the repository.
In synaptic for PClinuxOS you will find Megasync.

Regards, Jan
I don't know what Schoelje might be willing to do with respect to including the MegaSync .deb package in the repos. I do know that you can find download and installation instructions here and here.
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Mar 2017 17:51

Regarding MegaSync:
I try to limit the packages in the SolydXK repository to those that are essential to the system. MegaSync is a nice to have but not essential.

SolydXK needs you!

rex

Postby rex » 30 Mar 2017 19:35

You can use the "sudo" command to affect system changes from a "normal" account - this is the permissions elevation to which I referred above. This is done by (for example):

sudo does not work on this moment. Maybe I'm missing some knowledge.

Only accounts with root permissions (or those accounts that have had their permissions temporarily elevated) may install, remove, or update software. This is at the very heart of the security model which keeps GNU/Linux secure and (virtually) immune to all the nasties that Windows users have to contend with on a daily basis.

That's why it is strange to me that there is no advice (as far as I discovered on the Solyd website) To make a new user account after installing the system.
Because, if this is not done one always works on the system as root. Of course you know that but I did not found that prominently on your site.

rex

Postby rex » 30 Mar 2017 19:44

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Problem solved!

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Apr 2017 21:22

It's great that everything works now - could you please edit the topic of your first post to mark this thread as "[solved]"?

Return to “Installation”