Installation help-Tripple Booting Newbie. Solved

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
jsalpha2

Installation help-Tripple Booting Newbie. Solved

Postby jsalpha2 » 31 May 2013 20:55

So I crashed my system double booting. Never mind, it was a learning experience. Now I'm trying to triple boot.
I have Win 7 on my C drive, Data on D drive, and I'm splitting the third drive between Mint 14 Xfce and SolydX.
I already have a swap file, so can I just point the installer to the Free space or do I have to make partitions?
Here is a picture of my drives, Link because I don't know how to do thumbnail.. http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5827/diskry.png I have a working USB drive with SolydX on it and need a little confidence before I click the install button. I already have Grub 2 from the Mint install so it should just add SolydX to it, right?

zerozero

Re: Installation help-Tripple Booting Newbie.

Postby zerozero » 31 May 2013 22:56

do you have gparted installed in mint14? if you don't it's easy to install it and first of all give us a screenshot of the driver from within gparted.
bliss of ignorance

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 01 Jun 2013 02:30

Link to gparted shot http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6871 ... hot05p.png
I'd like SolydX in the unallocated space, and share the linux-swap. Is the swap to small? It's supposed to be twice your RAM?
When I installed the Mint I just let it make whatever it wanted. Should there be a /home or am I ok? I'm guessing the SolydX
installation is different enough so that I might get halfway through and then not know what to do.

drc

Postby drc » 01 Jun 2013 14:10

jsalpha2 wrote:Link to gparted shot http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6871 ... hot05p.png
I'd like SolydX in the unallocated space, and share the linux-swap. Is the swap to small? It's supposed to be twice your RAM?
When I installed the Mint I just let it make whatever it wanted. Should there be a /home or am I ok? I'm guessing the SolydX
installation is different enough so that I might get halfway through and then not know what to do.
1) Swap nowadays is not like it used to be. RAM is cheap(er) and plentiful. Most modern OS's do not need to utilize swap as much now. I have 2gig of RAM and I've kept an eye on my usage for quite a while, and very seldom get anywhere close to utilizing all of it. Personally, I utilize a "RAM + 10%" for swap, just in case i need to use hibernation.
2) have a 160gig hdd, and use 8gig for / (about 50% is used, which leaves pleanty of adding apps and a decent /tmp and /var), 2 gig for swap, and the rest for /home. A /home is nice, I delete all the DOT file/folders in /home, re-install the OS to / and and have a really clean system without having to re-install all your data (assuming you use the same $user)

3) Installing (and re-installing) gets easier with practice :)

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 03 Jun 2013 02:21

Took the time to do a fresh back up of my Windows drive, and watched the installation video in the tutorial section a few times. Started the install. Made a 25 GB partition for / and another for /home. Did not make swap cause I had one.
At the end I unchecked install grub, and Plymouth automatically unchecked too! Finished install and rebooted. Grub 2 screen came up just showing Windows and Mint, but I knew what to do. Booted into mint and went to terminal and ran sudo update-grub. Rebooted again and SolydX was there. Installed all the updates. There was some error message about grub not being installed, but I ignored it. Rebooted again, back to Mint. I had Grub Customizer installed already over there so I went in and cleaned up a bit. Shortened the names and moved SolydX up from the bottom. Made sure I could boot into Win, Mint or SolydX. All done. Thanks to everyone here.

Return to “Installation”