Problem installing Solydx-9-1709 without EFI (solved)

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
ilu

Problem installing Solydx-9-1709 without EFI (solved)

Postby ilu » 12 Sep 2017 05:26

I'm having a problem to install the latest nightly on a system which already has Win7 on it - its a brandnew ryzen system but the Win install is old and was done in compatibility mode. Now the installer won't progress without me defining an EFI partition which I can't because Win7 is non EFI and the BIOS is in compatibility mode (otherwise Win7 wouldn't boot). Also Win7 occupies the first partition. I'm going to reinstall Win7 sooner or later but this will probably also be in compatibiliy mode because forcing Win7 into EFI is an annoying task, depending on the hardware ...
There was no possibility to choose legacy on boot (I used USBcreator), but the BIOS is in legacy only mode, so shouldn't SolydX boot into legacy too?
The installer refuses to go on, I'm stuck - what to do?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Problem installing Solydx-9-1709 without EFI

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Sep 2017 05:51

If it doesn't boot live even I'm afraid I cannot help. The only way I can test if an ISO can boot in BIOS mode is in a VM. :cry:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Sep 2017 06:03

IIRC the installer check whether if you have EFI partition or not. thus, you can fool the installer into creating the partition but still using the MBR/compatibility mode. there's two entry in the grub, one is EFI mode, one is old MBR mode. if you pick the MBR mode, the installer will install grub as mbr mode. though, you still need to fool the installer into creating an unused EFI partition.

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Sep 2017 12:54

schoelje: It does boot live without a hitch - the installer continues until the point where the partitions are defined. I'm replacing a SolydX8 system and everything seems correct. Then it gets stuck asking for the EFI partition - which it did not do when I installed SolydX8. How does the installer check whether the system is in EFI or BIOS mode?

I could reinstall Windows now but that would mean formatting the disk as gpt which is difficult because 2 other partitions on it can't be removed.

Kurotsugi: There is only one entry in grub, nothing to pick. And it is not really a problem creating EFI somewhere (I could delete later) as long as the installer doesn't use the EFI partition. But I think there's a mistake in the code somewhere, the installer should not demand an EFI partition, if the system is legacy.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Sep 2017 14:46

I don't think I will have much time this week to check that. Sorry.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 12 Sep 2017 16:07

ilu wrote:How does the installer check whether the system is in EFI or BIOS mode?
It checks whether /proc/efi or /sys/firmware/efi exists, after loading the efivars kernel module.

If neither of those directories exists in live mode before running the installer, loading that module is probably a bad idea in this case, because it forces an EFI installation even if the live system is in compatibility mode.

I wouldn't try to finish the installation in this state, because I assume the wrong GRUB modules would be installed (haven't checked the code, though).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Sep 2017 18:31

After several BIOS resets I managed to get the menu items to choose startup method with or w/o EFI ... and everything installed alright. So to me it seems that the BIOS startup mechanism is the determining factor.

Anyway, problem solved after the firmware decided to cooperate.

Return to “Installation”