Installation and disk partitioning (dual boot with win10)

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
palimmo

Installation and disk partitioning (dual boot with win10)

Postby palimmo » 01 Oct 2017 19:05

Hi!
I need to create here the 2 partitions (/ and swap). What do you suggest to do?

thanks!
a.png
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Re: Installation and disk partitioning (dual boot with win10)

Postby ilu » 01 Oct 2017 21:32

I'm not really sure I understand correctly what you are asking, but my first answer would be: wipe the disk to get rid of the trojan horse that is Win10 :mrgreen: . Since that's probably not what you had in mind: Right-click the Win10 partition to defrag and minimize. If you want to minimze under 99 GB use the tools grizzler suggested in another thread https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 987#p66145. Leave everything else as it is. Decide whether you need to access your data from both systems, if yes, create a ntfs partition for it.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 02 Oct 2017 06:34

Of course I'd like to have a dual booting system: linux + win10. I need both.
Therefore I'd like to create a / partition (ext4) and a swap partition.
I will probably take some space (15-20 GB for solydK should be enough, I suppose) from C: and create the / and swap partitions. I do have many other partitions available but apparetly is better not to use/edit/delete them.

Do I have already reached the maximum numbers allowed of primary partitions?
Do I have to pay particular attention, due to the fact that this system use UEFI?

Specs:
Lenovo z51
8gb ram
Intel i5 5200
SSD
AMD Radeom R9 M375
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

speartip

Postby speartip » 02 Oct 2017 11:41

That is a complex disk setup. It looks to me like all 4 primary partitions are being used.
Unfortunately some manufacturers have been known to do this to stop you installing anything else.
I had a similar set up on my HP Desktop.
My only way around it was to totally wipe my disk, & create one NTFS Partition, to reinstall Windows 10 on. Then use the other 3 partitions for a couple of Linux Distros plus swap.
I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but unless anyone else has any suggestions, that's what I'd do.

And using efi complicates it a bit more.

ilu

Postby ilu » 02 Oct 2017 16:58

If you insist on keeping Win10 don't wipe the disk. Win10 should be an EFI install - that means no MBR but GPT and therefore no limitation to 4 primary partitions. GPT can hold many. Leave everything as it is, that will cover the EFI requirement. Make room on c: and then let the installer work. Make sure to boot SolydK into EFI mode though. There should be a boot option to do that.

I'm guessing that is a Lenovo laptop? You might have problems to find the correct boot modus in the BIOS. Try not to enable compatibility mode. SolydK can do EFI well once booted correctly.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 03 Oct 2017 08:43

Thanks guys. Yes, I also need Win10 for work/study.
In any case must I do not touch the other partitions (although some of them are 92% or even 100% free)?
Proud user of SolydK!

ilu

Postby ilu » 03 Oct 2017 14:53

Don't touch the first 3, they are small anyway. About those recovery partitions: Nobody here will know if s/he hasn't tried her/himself. If you don't need recovery you could reuse them. Best search for your laptop type and see what other users say.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Oct 2017 04:36

they're not empty. they were supposed to be hidden partition which means they're using either exotic filesytem or something not fully recognized by windows (or windows were made to not recognized it. the EFI should be on FAT anyway). the recovery partition contain the recovery program while the other recovery one contain kind of windows recovery image file. first 4 partition shouldn't touched. I assume D was created during OEM setup. that's leave partition 5 and 6. you can shrink 5 to create swap while the 5 could be used for everything else.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Oct 2017 14:43

Before I'd do anything with that disk, I'd want to know what GParted and/or fdisk make of it. The Disk Management window only shows 6 partitions, but the last one has number 7. As this is Windows 10 on a UEFI system, the disk must be GPT, so no extended partition, all primary. So where/what is the 'missing' partition? I know GPT is very flexible with partition numbering, so it might not even exist, but I'd still like something other than Windows to tell me that... ;)

Other than that, doesn't the SolydXK installer want an EFI Boot Partition of at least 300 MB? This one's 260. Bound to get messy...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Return to “Installation”