Update broke my installation!

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
ilu

Re: Update broke my installation!

Postby ilu » 19 Mar 2018 16:46

Do you remember which packages where updated bevor things failed? There was the debian point release (a LOT of packages) and several minor updates some days later. Did you do your updates regularly? I'm trying to narrow down what caused the failure.

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 Mar 2018 23:51

The fact that you are talking about an "update arrow" lts me suspect that you are still on SolydX8. Please always post which system you are on on. Don't let me guess whether 2017something was still jessie or already stretch - I could look it up but it would be quicker if you just said it.

Jessie (8) still gets security updates from Debians Long Term Support team for about 2 years from now. But if you want to debug anything you need to do regular updates. That way you'll know what (approximately) caused the error. Nobody will be able to sort out a year worth of updates if anything goes wrong.

Updating your system using the scripts the team provided would have worked well last summer but might not go smoothly now. The best course of action would be to backup and install the latest SolydX9 and see what happens. As a first remedy against ressource hugging I would purge clamav.
One thing I've noticed is that, with every new version of solydX, boot and response times get slower
Debian incorporates support for newer hardware and some day in the future support for your hardware will get dropped. That's the day Puppy Linux or something similar will come in handy.

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 Mar 2018 02:56

inxi -Fzxr is a good command to remember when starting a support thread. But even uname -a would already tell me which version you are on - well, not necessarily, but in most cases.

Return to “Installation”