ee edition Solydk supported by SolydXK Team ?

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
ycom1andy

ee edition Solydk supported by SolydXK Team ?

Postby ycom1andy » 26 Jan 2019 21:36

I would like to ask, if the testing ( ee ) release solydk still continued and supported by the developers ?
Thanks for your replies !!
andy gaal

grizzler

Re: ee edition Solydk supported by SolydXK Team ?

Postby grizzler » 27 Jan 2019 07:33

It's a 'Community Edition', and the ISO most recently built (by me) can be found here: http://downloads.solydxk.com/ce/testing/

Not officially supported, but usually when some issue is reported and I can't fix it myself, Arjen will, if he has the time.

You should be aware these ISOs aren't really tested, though. That's what the people using them are supposed to do...

Also, you may want to keep an eye on these forum threads:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5681&start=9999
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6917&start=9999
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ycom1andy

Postby ycom1andy » 27 Jan 2019 23:08

thanks for the answer :-) , could you confirm that the following entries to use for ee in the sources.list would be correct and complete ?

deb https://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk-ee main upstream import
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
andy gaal

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Jan 2019 07:40

Yes, that would be correct, although you can do without the last one. Security updates never end up there, as they go from unstable directly into testing's main repo.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ycom1andy

Postby ycom1andy » 28 Jan 2019 11:53

8-) THANKS, WENT WELL SO !! : - )
andy gaal

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 20 Apr 2019 11:08

Tried to install : after burning on DVD, the ee (from solydxee_10_64_201902.iso), and it can't load on any of my three machines. It just hangs before SolydX starts.All the checksums are ok, but nothing after the yellow-with-X,

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 22 Apr 2019 15:32

Can you supply some information on the PC's that you are trying to install SolydXK on to, type of processor, how much memory, hard disk (type, size and how many), motherboard model no, is the PC 32bit or 64bit is it the only OS on the PC, DVD is it internal or external. Did the live DVD work? Have you tried using a USB stick?

Lots of question which will make it easier for other forum members to help answer your question. Help us to help you ;)

EDIT
Also you might want to post any reply as a new post and post it in the testing zone which is specifically for EE edition

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 23 Apr 2019 07:15

First machine : AMD K5 (64bits) based desktop, 8 Gb memory, second machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad, also 8 Gb, the third is a Samsung laptop, i9 processor, 8 Gb. Those three machines were «infected» with SolydX many times, with several generations of DVDs / isos, and are working. I just wanted to try the EE, but just couldn't.

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Apr 2019 16:40

Huh that's strange. I just installed the February EE ISO on 3 different machines without problems. You checked the hash after download, but this still sounds like a corrupt image. Or corrupt DVD.

The Lenovo and the desktop should definitely work.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 24 Apr 2019 22:58

seems like a video related issue. it might related with plymouth. IIRC there are three ways but I can only remember use nosplash and forcevesa. the other one is delaying the video driver until plymouth run but I can't remember what was that

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Apr 2019 06:14

When you start the live session from DVD, you can choose for the "safe" option in the Grub menu. Did you try that?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 28 Apr 2019 09:24

So, an update about my (short) experience with ee

1) my DVD problem was probably a «dvd» problem, and no iso problem : I could boot and even install from the same iso through an USB stick

2) I wonder why the iso is so much bigger than the «classic» iso

3) I accept that it is normal, but the «updating the new system» phase in the installation takes *a lot of time*. Just a lot.

After installation :

4) Thunderbird just refused to start. Got every time a message telling about «another session of thunderbird is already on, so please wait, or close the other session». I can't recall the exact wording, but this was the idea. And of course there was no previous session. It hit me every time I tried.

5) Opened synaptic, and must accept that I couldn't add a new repository through synaptic : I had to edit manually sources.list

And that was it. I thought buster would more ... people-like-me-friendly, so no offense, I really appreciate the work of the people who work to offer ee, but I think this is not for me :(

Again, thank you to all the volunteers, this «no-success» is mine only.

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 Apr 2019 15:11

1. EE / Buster is "testing" which means it has bugs. Otherwise no testing would be necessary. It's for :ugeek: people who enjoy bug reporting. Sort of :lol:

2. Because of the testing purpose buster gets a lot of updates. Really a lot. On a daily basis. A lot! All that stuff has to be pulled in after installation. No way around that.

3. ISO size depends on grizzlers decision what to include. You might propose what to remove?

4. About thunderbird: Did you check whether the error message was correct and TB was still/already running for whatever reason?

Code: Select all

ps -aux | grep thunderbird
If you want to have a more comfortable way to check for processes try htop, filter with F4 and enter thunderbird. Kill hanging processes with F9.

4. About synaptic: I've never used that functionality, so I'm not sure.

5. Stick with stretch until buster becomes stable - which should be sometime in summer.

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 28 Apr 2019 16:03

I can only help with 4. : thunderbird

I had definitely no thunderbird running. I had it not to launch automatically by the start. And I proofed several times with the task manager, and no «thunderbird» task was there before I launched thunderbird.

But no warranty the problem is not «mine», because if it happened to everyone, you would already know about it. :)

About the size of the iso, I just expected to be about the same as the «original», since the «original» iso allows me to install a good system on which I have to add a few things. But it is no critic. The people who do the work are right by default. It is their work, and I appreciate it as such.

The issue with synaptic may be also «mine», as far as I know. I just mentioned it as a «tester». :)

I already have switched back to stretch. Buster is, as such, too out from my comfort zone. I am just a user...

Thank you for all you do !

Return to “Installation”