Solydxk restarts without loading from grub

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
tantrik

Solydxk restarts without loading from grub

Postby tantrik » 20 Jun 2019 17:17

I have just installed solydx latest version and facing an awkward issue. Whenever I choose solydx distro from grub menu, instead of loading to desktop it fails to load to desktop, restarts from the beginning until the grub menu appears and I have to choose again solydx distro until it loads to desktop. It takes one or two times of restart after I would choose solydx from grub menu and then it would finally load to desktop. This never happened in previous versions of either solydx or solydk (especially in 2017 and 2018). It is happening in 2019 versions of solydx and solydk. I am not understanding why this is happening since I really like to use solydx/solydk distro.

Any kind of suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kurotsugi

Re: Solydxk restarts without loading from grub

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Jun 2019 18:26

without the logs it would be hard to analyze the problem. a quick shot would be either kernel or graphic incompatibility. if that true, installing another kernel should fix it

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jun 2019 19:07

Did you reuse the user's home directory?
I had that with corrupt configuration files and found out that I didn't have that problem with a newly created user.

Also check these for errors:
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
~/.xsession-errors

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

tantrik

Postby tantrik » 21 Jun 2019 12:12

My pc specifications
=================
Intel core i3-4130 @ 3.40 GHz processor with integrated intel graphics and audio
4 GB memory (2*2GB ram stick)
Arjen Balfoort wrote: Also check these for errors:
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
~/.xsession-errors
I checked the above errors in a terminal in solydx installed in usb stick. In all cases it says "Permission denied". I checked the errors as root user using sudo su command in the terminal. I will install solydx in my hard drive today and then check for errors as above and let you know any output.

tantrik

Postby tantrik » 24 Jun 2019 12:09

I uninstalled and reinstalled solydx_9_64_201902 (latest) on on my pc yesterday and so far I am not facing the restarting of solydx from grub instead of loading to desktop issue, which I faced few days back. I guess the problem is gone somehow. After installing solydx, I made a system upgrade and no longer see any problem. I also tried these commands
Arjen Balfoort wrote: /var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
~/.xsession-errors
but they all gave me "Permission denied" result. Anyway, I will continue to use solydx as of now until this same or another different problem arise. Thanks for everything. Moderators can close this thread with "Solved" label.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Jun 2019 14:22

These are not commands but log files.

You need to search them for errors but now that you solved your issue by reinstalling the system that is not necessary anymore.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Jun 2019 18:02

Just in case this happens again: a good way to search for errors is

Code: Select all

journalctl  |grep -C 5 error
cat /var/log/syslog |grep error
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep EE
cat ~/.xsession-errors |grep error
Instead of "error" you can use grep with every word that seems useful (ERROR, err, warning, ACPI, USB ...). -C specifies the number of lines you'll see before/after the error (or whatever you grep'ed for).

Return to “Installation”