Support for Solydx 9 after 10 goes live

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
bin

Support for Solydx 9 after 10 goes live

Postby bin » 22 Jun 2019 14:59

There are a number of programs I run under Wine which just cannot/will not run under the latest versions.

One option is to keep running Solydx 9 - possibly in a VM or dual boot.

What will happen to support for 9 once 10 goes live? I know that Debian keep up basic support normally till the next one goes live - whatever 11 may be called. But, will 9 see any love from within the Solydx team or will it be allowed to languish?

ilu

Re: Support for Solydx 9 after 10 goes live

Postby ilu » 22 Jun 2019 16:11

It will get supported as much as possible with a very small team like ours.

But, to solve your wine problems: Use playonlinux and choose whichever wine version you need. POL is a wrapper that allows you to create different prefixes with different wine versions. If you do gaming, lutris is better supported these days but only for games.

Edit: Install playonlinux using the Solydxk Welcome screens to make sure all dependecies are there.

bin

Postby bin » 23 Jun 2019 10:15

ilu wrote:
22 Jun 2019 16:11
It will get supported as much as possible with a very small team like ours.

But, to solve your wine problems: Use playonlinux and choose whichever wine version you need. POL is a wrapper that allows you to create different prefixes with different wine versions. If you do gaming, lutris is better supported these days but only for games.

Edit: Install playonlinux using the Solydxk Welcome screens to make sure all dependecies are there.
Thanks for that - I have been using both Crossover Office and or POL for many years without any hitches. Sadly there are a now number of issues with latest POL if you try to use any other version of WINE - I think it is python related. As part of the configuration of a different version it launches a couple of dialogue boxes that are impossible to get at - just 20px wide. Even knowing what they say you cannot get them to respond and afterwards it all just dies. However I think it is a bit deeper in the i386 wine libs that there are also probs as progs that used to run OK under normal wine on 1.87 (Deb 9) now crash with various i386 errors. Those libs are also used by Crossover so the same applies. Life's too short to keep messing around trying to fix it. So for the next 2 years it may be I'll just keep to 9. I only really need 10 to run GIMP 2.10 - so maybe I'll just forget that and use something else for the few things I do need it for. Hopefully the Solydx and Debian repos will stay available so all should be good.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 Jun 2019 11:53

you'll still got security updates from debian repo. the solydxk packages, however, AFAIK doesn't get updates. since the main version is based on stable, virtually there's no difference on your system. it will get supported for roughly next two year after solydxk 10 got released.

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Jun 2019 15:28

About support: what kurotsugi said.

About wine: I've never used crossover so I don't know about that. I'm running POL 4.2.10-2 (I downloaded the deb-file) with wine versions 1.3.12, 1.7.37 and 2.20 for office/business applications and I have no problems at all. I migrated these installations from jessie (had a bit of trouble there because I lacked wine knowledge). I've also use the latest staging until 2.18 - for that I changed to lutris because I wanted best possible graphics performances and the graphics configuration is finicky - lutris has better support. That's mainly because POL 5 hangs in limbo for several years now but I really hope they get back on track.

But to be sure that my vital business applications never stop working I never upgrade - I do a parallel install and migrate.

Return to “Installation”