nVidia drivers

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
Edd Juglans

nVidia drivers

Postby Edd Juglans » 01 Jul 2013 20:18

Greetings all,

This is my first post, so please excuse me if it's in the wrong section.

I recently posted a comment on Google+ Linux Mint, about my experience attempting to try/install both SolydX and SolydK on one of my aged boxes, a Dell XPS 1710 laptop, which uses a nVidia Go 7900GS video card. I was advised that I should post my problem here.

What follows is the exact post, written after another frustrating attempt with SolydK, so please forgive me if it sounds very petulant.

- "When I first load a new Linux Mint cd, there is an option to try it 'in compatibility mode'. I have an old nvidia go 7900gs in one of my boxes which Linux Mint has no problem working with in compatibility mode thereby giving me a chance to install the appropriate nvidia drivers.

SolydXK also has compatibility mode, but all it does is show me a nice black screen so I can't even install the video drivers. Not even an option for 'text mode with networking'. Not good. Not impressed.

If Linux Mint can do it easily , SolydXK as no excuse in my book." -

Like I said, I was pretty annoyed when I wrote that, but the problem remains, and I really want to give SolydXK a fair go before I'm forced to give up on it.

Regards,
Edd

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: nVidia drivers

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jul 2013 07:22

Welcome to our forum, Edd.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with SolydXK.

First, have you checked the md5sum after you downloaded the iso?

I've just tested the compatibility mode on 3 very different systems, and all functioned as expected.
If the iso's md5sum is correct, then I'm afraid it has something to do with your hardware.
As I'm unable to reproduce your issue, I hope there's a forum user here that might be able to help you.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Edd Juglans

Postby Edd Juglans » 02 Jul 2013 10:27

Schoelje wrote:Welcome to our forum, Edd.
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with SolydXK.

First, have you checked the md5sum after you downloaded the iso?

I've just tested the compatibility mode on 3 very different systems, and all functioned as expected.
If the iso's md5sum is correct, then I'm afraid it has something to do with your hardware.
As I'm unable to reproduce your issue, I hope there's a forum user here that might be able to help you.
Thank you for the quick response, and I'm grateful for your efforts.

The md5sum seems to check out ok. I'm, of course, willing to accept that it may have something to do with my hardware,it is an old video card after all.

The fact remains though, that it would be very helpful indeed to have some way to install certain drivers before the boot process, perhaps with a grub 'advanced' boot option leading to a command line with networking.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed with the speed and solidity of SolydK. I also installed SolydK in a desktop with Intel graphics and it works perfectly. In fact I've decided to ditch Kubuntu and keep SolydK on that machine permanently. It just really annoys me that it doesn't give me an easy way to install drivers before booting.

Kind regards...
Edd

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jul 2013 10:41

As soon as I've a larger group of skilled developers to help this project, these kind of issues can be solved.
However, I'm the only developer at the moment, and my priority lies elsewhere I'm afraid. Priority can be raised if a large number of people have the same issue, or when an issue prevents normal usage of the system.

I'll place this on the wish list.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 02 Jul 2013 19:24

Edd,
it's still not completely clear to me something here:
- are you able or not to boot into a functional SolydK desktop? (in compatibility or normal boot, and putting aside for the nvidia drivers question?)
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Installation”