VirtualBox installation problems

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
MountainX

VirtualBox installation problems

Postby MountainX » 05 Jul 2013 05:51

Is there anything special required to install SolydK on VirtualBox? I have installed a dozen different Linux distros in VirtualBox today. No problems. Then I got to SolydK and it has failed 3 times in a row. The first time I was using btrfs on the root partition and that just didn't work (boot disk not found), so I did a second install with all defaults (with ext4 as root partition). It booted this time, but it suffered a critical error before the boot process completed. I booted again using the non-PAE kernel, but I got the same error. Here's the error:

00:20:21.358 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:20:22.359 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'.
00:20:22.360 VMR3Suspend:
00:20:22.360 RUNNING -> SUSPENDING, RUNNING_LS -> SUSPENDING_EXT_LS failed, because the VM state is actually GURU_MEDITATION
00:20:22.360 VMSetError: /build/buildd/virtualbox-4.1.12-dfsg/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(3464) int vmR3TrySetState(PVM, const char*, unsigned int, ...); rc=VERR_VM_INVALID_VM_STATE
00:20:22.360 VMSetError: VMR3Suspend failed because the current VM state, GURU_MEDITATION, was not found in the state transition table
00:20:22.360 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb} aComponent={Console} aText={Could not suspend the machine execution (VERR_VM_INVALID_VM_STATE)}, preserve=false
00:21:41.658 Console::powerDown(): A request to power off the VM has been issued (mMachineState=Stopping, InUninit=0)
00:21:41.659 Changing the VM state from 'GURU_MEDITATION' to 'POWERING_OFF'.

I can paste the whole log if needed (it's long).

Unfortunately, my holiday is over now and I won't have more time to try out SolydK. Wish I had been able to spend some time with it today. Maybe in the future. Good luck to everyone here. This sounds like a great distro!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: VirtualBox installation problems

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Jul 2013 09:24

Hi MountainX, and welcome to our forum!

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your issues.
I installed SolydK 32-bits in Virtualbox 4.2.10 (available in the next Update Pack) with btrfs.
The installation went without a problem.
I rebooted into the PAE kernel: no problem either.
After login I confirmed with KInfoCenter that I was using btrfs.

I see you have an older version of Virtualbox, perhaps that makes the difference.

This is what I have installed:

Code: Select all

arjen@solydk64 ~ $ apt search virtualbox | grep ^i
i   virtualbox                      - x86 virtualization solution - base binarie
i   virtualbox-dkms                 - x86 virtualization solution - kernel modul
i   virtualbox-guest-additions-iso  - guest additions iso image for VirtualBox  
i   virtualbox-guest-dkms           - x86 virtualization solution - guest additi
i   virtualbox-guest-utils          - x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 gues
i   virtualbox-guest-x11            - x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest ut
i   virtualbox-qt                   - x86 virtualization solution - Qt based use

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Installation”