Overwrite grub or not? (solved)

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
handyandy

Overwrite grub or not? (solved)

Postby handyandy » 05 Jul 2013 12:32

At present I dual boot Windows 8 and a Xubuntu based distro, Voyager. Having run it from the live CD and read the reviews, I'm very impressed with SolydX. I'm also very impressed with the community and support. I intend to install SolydX alongside the other two OSs and, if it's as good as I think it is in everyday use, make it my primary OS.

I have two internal hard drives. One is currently empty and Windows and Voyager are both on the other. It's a standard dual boot set-up with grub in the MBR. I intend to install SolydX on the second (currently empty) hard drive.

My question is this: should I let SolydX install its own grub, overwriting the one that Voyager installed. Or should I decline SolydX's offer to install grub (I assume it will give me the option) and keep the existing grub. Are there advantages or potential problems either way?

Andy

Bequimão

Re: Overwrite grub or not?

Postby Bequimão » 06 Jul 2013 10:34

I would then install grub into the MBR of the empty disk. That would give you additional options to rescue the system, if boot fails.

Then run the commands in your other distro as root:

Code: Select all

# grub-mkdevicemap
# update-grub
That should create an entry to start Solydxk.

Best regards,
Bequimão

theuncontactable

Re: Overwrite grub or not?

Postby theuncontactable » 07 Jul 2013 09:16

I would overwrite grub. Grub will detect the other OS and list them in the menu when you boot up.

Return to “Installation”