[solved] oxygen dependency problems

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
hushpuppy

[solved] oxygen dependency problems

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Mar 2013 14:08

"Upgrading" from the unofficial LMDE Xfce with oxygen icons themes and cursors not installed:

Code: Select all

apt-get install lmdexfce-artwork lmdexfce-system-adjustments
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  lmdexfce-artwork lmdexfce-system-adjustments
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,008 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://packages.solydxk.com/ solydxk/main lmdexfce-artwork all 2.0.0 [766 kB]
Get:2 http://packages.solydxk.com/ solydxk/main lmdexfce-system-adjustments all 2.0.0 [3,242 kB]                                              
Fetched 4,008 kB in 33s (119 kB/s)                                                                                                            
Reading changelogs... Done
(Reading database ... 123062 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace lmdexfce-artwork 1.0.0 (using .../lmdexfce-artwork_2.0.0_all.deb) ...
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/share/linuxmint/logo.png to /usr/share/linuxmint/logo.png.divert by lmdexfce-artwork'
Unpacking replacement lmdexfce-artwork ...
Preparing to replace lmdexfce-system-adjustments 1.0.0 (using .../lmdexfce-system-adjustments_2.0.0_all.deb) ...
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/bash.bashrc to /etc/bash.bashrc.divert by lmdexfce-system-adjustments'
Unpacking replacement lmdexfce-system-adjustments ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386 ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for mintsystem ...
Setting up lmdexfce-artwork (2.0.0) ...
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/categories/applications-accessories.png': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing lmdexfce-artwork (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of lmdexfce-system-adjustments:
 lmdexfce-system-adjustments depends on lmdexfce-artwork; however:
  Package lmdexfce-artwork is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing lmdexfce-system-adjustments (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 lmdexfce-artwork
 lmdexfce-system-adjustments
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
One of the first things I did after installing the unofficial XFCE was get rid of all the oxygen packages, and now it looks like I'm getting them all back:

apt-get install solydx-meta
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  debian-plymouth-manager oxygen-icon-theme oxygencursors plymouth-themes-solydx solydx-artwork solydx-grub2-theme solydx-info
  solydx-lightdm-adjustments solydx-system-adjustments solydxk-flashplugin-11 solydxk-softwaremanager solydxk-sws solydxk-system
  updatemanager
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dpm grub2-theme hunspell-en-us lmdexfce-artwork lmdexfce-lightdm-adjustments lmdexfce-system-adjustments mint-common mint-debian-mirrors
  mint-flashplugin-11 mint-info-debian-xfce mint-search-addon mint-translations mintinstall mintinstall-icons mintsystem mintupdate-debian
  plymouth-themes-lmdexfce sws
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  debian-plymouth-manager oxygen-icon-theme oxygencursors plymouth-themes-solydx solydx-artwork solydx-grub2-theme solydx-info
  solydx-lightdm-adjustments solydx-meta solydx-system-adjustments solydxk-flashplugin-11 solydxk-softwaremanager solydxk-sws solydxk-system
  updatemanager
0 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 18 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 60.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 87.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
After this operation, 87.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Is it necessary for lmdexfce-artwork and lmdexfce-system-adjustments to depend on oxygen? I can understand the need for SolydXK to have a consistent theme, but I'd prefer one that isn't pure bloat.

Otherwise, this is still an amazingly lean and fast distro. Almost everything has worked perfectly so far. Are you interested in XFCE bug reports (cpu graph for the panel, and xfce power manager)? If so, I'll post a couple in the bugs forum.

Thanks and good luck to you and everyone who helped put this together!
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: oxygen dependency problems

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Mar 2013 14:35

This behaviour is by design.
The meta package was designed to convert an unofficial LMDE Xfce into SolydX. Both come with the oxygen theme.
To make the meta package successfully install all solydxk packages, I had to upgrade the two lmdexfce packages first.
These lmdexfce packages and the meta package expect the oxygen theme to be installed: configuration is handled in the package.

It is as if you just installed SolydX form iso. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to adjust it to your own taste as if it is a fresh install.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Mar 2013 15:06

Half the fun is playing with a system to get it "just right" 8-)

However, with everything installed, trying to purge oxygen* marks solydx-meta to be removed. Accepting that, the following become auto-removable:

debian-plymouth-manager
plymouth-themes-solydx
solydx-grub2-theme
solydx-info
sloydx-lightdm-adjustments
solydx-system-adjustments
solydxk-flashplugin-11
solydxk-softwaremanager
solydxk-sws
solydxk-system
updatemanager
So it would seem that solydx-meta cannot be removed safely. Presumably it would be possible to modify its dependencies (edit: so that it only suggests oxygen*?), or replace it with a modified meta package so that oxygen* could be safely removed?
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Mar 2013 15:23

Ok, you can do two things:
Just leave the oxygen-gtk package and change theme (which is by far easiest to accomplish).
or force remove the oxygen-gtk package:

dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq oxygen-gtk

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Mar 2013 15:54

Let me restate the problem (because I don't grok the finer points of debian packaging) :

Currently, I have the following installed which I want to purge:

oxygen-icon-theme
oxygencursors
gtk2-engines-oxygen
gtk3-engines-oxygen
Any attempt to remove them fails because, for example:

dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq gtk3-engines-oxygen
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of gtk3-engines-oxygen:i386:
 solydx-meta depends on gtk3-engines-oxygen.

dpkg: error processing gtk3-engines-oxygen:i386 (--remove):
 dependency problems - not removing
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gtk3-engines-oxygen:i386
And solydx-meta cannot be removed because of all of its other dependencies. If solydx-meta didn't depend on the oxygen packages, or if it could be replaced with, for example, a post-install package that didn't depend on oxygen, then all the oxygen packages could be safely removed.

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 02 Mar 2013 15:59

What if you run the following?:

sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq solydx-meta
This *should* remove solydx-meta without removing the other packages. Afterwards you could remove the oxygen stuff I believe.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Mar 2013 16:22

cwwgateway wrote:What if you run the following?:

This *should* remove solydx-meta without removing the other packages. Afterwards you could remove the oxygen stuff I believe.
I could unpack solydx-meta, remove the *oxygen* dependencies, re-pack and install it (i used a similar cludge a long time ago to get Opera working, but I can't remember exactly how). But as it stands, by removing solydx-meta, all of solydx-meta's dependencies become auto-removable, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 02 Mar 2013 16:33

hushpuppy wrote:

I could unpack solydx-meta, remove the *oxygen* dependencies, re-pack and install it (i used a similar cludge a long time ago to get Opera working, but I can't remember exactly how). But as it stands, by removing solydx-meta, all of solydx-meta's dependencies become auto-removable, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
With the above command are the packages still autoremovable? If so, my suggestion would be to run the following:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel plymouth lightdm solydx-info solydxk-system solydx-artwork solydx-system-adjustments solydx-grub2-theme ddm debian-plymouth-manager plymouth-themes-solydx solydx-lightdm-adjustments solydxk-flashplugin-11 solydxk-softwaremanager solydxk-sws updatemanager murrine-themes plymouth plymouth-drm plymouth-x11 gtk2-engines-pixbuf
This will mark all of the dependencies of solydx-meta as manually installed besides the oxygen stuff.
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 02 Mar 2013 16:40

cwwgateway wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:

With the above command are the packages still autoremovable? If so, my suggestion would be to run the following:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel plymouth lightdm solydx-info solydxk-system solydx-artwork solydx-system-adjustments solydx-grub2-theme ddm debian-plymouth-manager plymouth-themes-solydx solydx-lightdm-adjustments solydxk-flashplugin-11 solydxk-softwaremanager solydxk-sws updatemanager murrine-themes plymouth plymouth-drm plymouth-x11 gtk2-engines-pixbuf
This will mark all of the dependencies of solydx-meta as manually installed besides the oxygen stuff.
Yay that worked :D

It also picked up the newer version of ddm.

Thank you very much!

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 02 Mar 2013 16:57

hushpuppy wrote: Yay that worked :D

It also picked up the newer version of ddm.

Thank you very much!
I'm glad it helped :D .
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox