SolydXK Wiki

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
EldreThe

SolydXK Wiki

Postby EldreThe » 15 Aug 2013 19:22

SolydXK Wiki Project

Continuing from viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1176#p11814

Current TODO List is as follows
  • Continue improving SolydXK Wikipedia Page with sections about Rolling-Release Model/Updates, Repositories, solydsoftware
  • Create a SolydXK Wiki on a Farm (considering Wikia, open to suggestions)
  • Upload Logo to Wikipedia and Wikia.
  • Create a directory tree/structure for Wiki Content
  • Begin adding content to the most important parts of the Wiki (About, Help)
Best Regards

Eldre, The

ScottQuier

Re: SolydXK Wiki

Postby ScottQuier » 16 Aug 2013 10:59

Waiting, on the sidelines (for now), for the greenlight.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 16 Aug 2013 18:16

Small update to the Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolydXK

Also created a wiki for use on Wikia. solydxk.wikia.com.

note: there is absolutely no content on "our" wiki at this moment. it's just a placeholder while I decide the structure and which pages are most important to create first.

OP todo list updated.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

MagnumForce

Postby MagnumForce » 16 Aug 2013 18:37

Yop
Everybody can edit....
MSI B85-G41 PC Mate / INTEl core i5-4430 / NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS / 8Go DDR3

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 16 Aug 2013 18:59

So that was you! I wondered who posted a single linebreak as an edit.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Aug 2013 10:57

Raoldkel (he started the wiki page) mailed me:
What is still needed though is an image and the following:

License = ?
Userland = ?
I know that I have to look into licensing, but I haven't found the time.
Is there somebody who knows about licensing, and what is most common to use for Linux distributions?

I don't know what to fill in for "userland". I remember vaguely that zerozero tried to explain that to me... :oops:

Who can help me out?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 18 Aug 2013 12:41

Schoelje wrote:Raoldkel (he started the wiki page) mailed me:
What is still needed though is an image and the following:

License = ?
Userland = ?
I know that I have to look into licensing, but I haven't found the time.
Is there somebody who knows about licensing, and what is most common to use for Linux distributions?

I don't know what to fill in for "userland". I remember vaguely that zerozero tried to explain that to me... :oops:

Who can help me out?
Hi Schoelje.

Thanks for the shout-out.

Look here for a guide to the above questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

Would the Userland = GNU Core Utilities?

I cannot upload an image to the wiki because it must be your own work, else the other option to pick is messy.
Can one of the team goto here and upload an image of a SolydX and or SolydK desktop? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... oad_Wizard It seems straightforward.

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 18 Aug 2013 16:07

Hi Raoldkel,

Firstly, thanks for starting up the Wikipedia page. I've never done anything on Wikipedia, so it was nice to have something to start with.

I've got images to upload (the logos are licensed under CC), but my account is still too "new" to be allowed to upload anything. When my account reaches auto-confirmed status, the logo and pictures will be uploaded and added to the page.

Regarding Userland, I'm inclined to leave it blank permanently. Solyd does use GNU Core Utils, but realistically.... so do an overwhelming percentage of Linux distributions. It's the de-facto userland for Linux.

@Schoelje, Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, my opinions is not to be constructed as legal advice. Licenses are always a bit tricky. But I believe the LGPL is required in this situation, because of the inclusion of non-GPL compatable software (Steam, Firefox, etc). LGPL is more flexible and allows inclusion of non-GPL (even closed source proprietary) software into a final product, as long as any GPL/LGPL parts of it are made available under their respective license.

As a final note: I added SolydXK to the Wikipedia in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... tributions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... tributions. Will you please review them, make sure they're OK. :)
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Aug 2013 16:24

EldreThe wrote:@Schoelje, Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, my opinions is not to be constructed as legal advice. Licenses are always a bit tricky. But I believe the LGPL is required in this situation, because of the inclusion of non-GPL compatable software (Steam, Firefox, etc). LGPL is more flexible and allows inclusion of non-GPL (even closed source proprietary) software into a final product, as long as any GPL/LGPL parts of it are made available under their respective license.
This explains it all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesse ... ic_License
I agree that this is the correct license for SolydXK (being business oriented, SolydXK must make it possible to let it's code being used in proprietary software). The normal GNU is too constrictive in that regard.
EldreThe wrote:As a final note: I added SolydXK to the Wikipedia in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... tributions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... tributions. Will you please review them, make sure they're OK. :)
Although both links are equal, the both look good, thanks!

SolydXK needs you!

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 18 Aug 2013 16:28

Best Regards

Eldre, The

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Aug 2013 16:34

Could you change "part-rolling" in "semi-rolling". I think that's the more common term.

SolydXK needs you!

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 18 Aug 2013 17:08

EldreThe wrote:Hi Raoldkel,
Firstly, thanks for starting up the Wikipedia page. I've never done anything on Wikipedia, so it was nice to have something to start with.
Hi EldreThe. You are welcome.
EldreThe wrote: I've got images to upload (the logos are licensed under CC), but my account is still too "new" to be allowed to upload anything. When my account reaches auto-confirmed status, the logo and pictures will be uploaded and added to the page.
That is greatly appreciated.
EldreThe wrote: Regarding Userland, I'm inclined to leave it blank permanently. Solyd does use GNU Core Utils, but realistically.... so do an overwhelming percentage of Linux distributions. It's the de-facto userland for Linux.
No problem.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 18 Aug 2013 17:09

We all make mistakes. ;)

Thanks for adding SolydXK to 2 more Wiki entries.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 Aug 2013 08:47

SolydXK logo added to Wiki, thanks to EldreThe.

Quantum

Postby Quantum » 30 Oct 2013 23:32

I suggest we set up our own wiki --wiki.solydxk.org-- using mediawiki. Just a VirtualHost.

It's pretty much a snap to set up, and I have some articles to launch it off. (mostly security-related) :P

JOM

Postby JOM » 02 Nov 2013 20:52

Gentlemen,
the SolydXK Wikipedia page is very nice. May I draw your attention to a small detail:
Where it says "Solyd "Back Office" edition adds an emphasis...", IMO it would be more clear to write:
"SolydK Back Office..." or "SolydKBO (where "BO" stands for "Back Office...)...".

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 03 Nov 2013 10:50

JOM wrote:...Where it says "Solyd "Back Office" edition adds an emphasis...", IMO it would be more clear to write:
"SolydK Back Office..." or "SolydKBO (where "BO" stands for "Back Office...)...".
Hi JOM.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Done. ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolydXK

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 Jan 2014 10:32

Alas I got a message on Wikipedia today. The title was 'Proposed deletion of SolydXK'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolydXK

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Jan 2014 10:41

Thanks for pointing that out.
Unfortunately, I have no academic background, and I don't even (try to) understand what they expect from me.
If there is somebody here who likes a challenge, please try to improve the page.

SolydXK needs you!

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 Jan 2014 10:48

Schoelje wrote:Thanks for pointing that out.
Unfortunately, I have no academic background, and I don't even (try to) understand what they expect from me.
If there is somebody here who likes a challenge, please try to improve the page.
Hi Schoelje.
It would be a shame to lose the Wiki page given all the work that was put into it.
The Wikipedia message to me contained this "...because I don't think it meets our criteria for inclusion..."
Unfortunately the 'criteria' seems very vague.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”