Printer stopped working (solved)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
ilu

Printer stopped working (solved)

Postby ilu » 24 Jan 2018 19:49

My network printer suddenly stopped working. Trying to print a pdf results in - nothing. No error message, just the printout never reaches the printer queue. CUPS log says "Print-Job successful-ok". Nothing new in the error log. sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd and /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp <IP of the printer> correctly show printer information. Ping and nmap confirm that the printer can be reached. I can see the printers admin interface via browser. Trying to print a self-test via printer settings results in "client-error-bad-request" - without any trace in the logs.

The problem must be in between CUPS and the network.

Only thing unusual that I noticed: Gnome apps started showing the brother-specific "ghost printer" problem (https://askubuntu.com/questions/676863/how-do-i-get-rid-of-a-ghost-printer-in-gnome) but fixing it by editing avahi-daemon.conf did not bring printing back so I reverted the change. I restarted avahi-daemon several times and I remember seeing an error there but only once.

An ideas how to debug the problem?

ilu

Re: Printer stopped working

Postby ilu » 24 Jan 2018 22:20

So I decided to boot into SolydX8 to print the urgent stuff. When I rebooted into SolydX9 suddenly the printing subsystem had decided to cooperate again. Whatever happened there ...

xendistar

Re: Printer stopped working (solved)

Postby xendistar » 27 Jan 2018 22:35

I have had the same issue several times with a few different distro and printers as well. Never found out what the issue is but obviously something in the cups subsystem stops responding and requires a reboot to start it back up. It nothing new in the computer world, "the lights are on but nobody is at home" syndrome

Return to “Hardware”