Dell Latitude D820 & SolydX 9 - no go?! [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
Cory

Dell Latitude D820 & SolydX 9 - no go?! [SOLVED]

Postby Cory » 01 Jul 2018 17:50

Hi everyone,

Someone around who knows if SolydX 9 should be able to install on a Dell Latitude D820 or a D830?

Version 8 in 32-bit as well as in 64-bit installs nicely using both traditional HD and SSD, but I cannot get version 9 to install on either laptop.

From a USB pendrive (single image or Multi-USB) both architectures boot fine on both laptops, but the installer quits without visible warning or feedback whatsoever. A reboot shows either "No operating system" or grub failing to load the (initial) boot image.
Before reboot (still in the live environment), I can see /target and /target/home (20 and 15 GB respectively, should be plenty) contain what seems to me a complete file system.

Other OS's, even Windows 10, install fine on both laptops. I'm on a loss here... and about to give up.

Why all this effort? I do need SolydX to run as (1st) this is the environment the intended user is used to and comfortable with. This older lady isn't very computer literate to say the least, so any change is one too many.
And (2nd) with my sort-of limited knowledge SolydX used to be the only non-Windows platform I could get her printer (Dell PhotoSmart 720) to work.

Alternatively, I have been thinking to stick with SolydX version 8. Any comments on why this would be a good or bad idea?

Thank a lot folks!
Are you Solyd-ified yet?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Dell Latitude D820 & SolydX 9 - no go?!

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jul 2018 20:06

I don't have any experience with these laptops but we should at least be able to find out what's going wrong.
Start a live session, open a terminal and run the command:

Code: Select all

live-installer
When it fails, copy and paste the terminal output here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Cory

Re: Dell Latitude D820 & SolydX 9 - no go?!

Postby Cory » 02 Jul 2018 09:33

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
01 Jul 2018 20:06
... we should at least be able to find out what's going wrong.
That's what I thought too - and terribly, terribly thick-headed me overlooked the very first possibility: a somehow malformed iso image.
I did perform a hash check on the downloaded iso, but did not check the copy that USB Creator wrote to the pendrive...
Checked the copy, result NOK, (slammed forehead), replaced iso on pendrive by simply rm & cp, and presto!

Meanwhile, the D820 is now installed and happily running the first package update.

Sorry for bothering you :oops:
Are you Solyd-ified yet?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Dell Latitude D820 & SolydX 9 - no go?! [SOLVED]

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jul 2018 12:43

Well, I'm glad you solved it!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Hardware”