Several sound problems - bug? [kind of half way solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
ilu

Several sound problems - bug? [kind of half way solved]

Postby ilu » 04 Mar 2014 14:36

After some hours of trying to fix the problem on my own (and messing things up) I'm back here searching for help.

Code: Select all

inxi -Axx
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383 
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series] 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:aab0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11-2-amd64
Original problem: Headphone, pluggged into rear plugs, doesn't work, speakers plugged into front worked - originally. Now every audio is dead.

During the process I opened Pulse Mixer paneel and a second one, which I thought was ALSA mixer (and which I can't find anymore). I tried some stuff I don't remember exactly (among them sudo alsactl init ), closed everything, rebooted. Situation now is:

1. XFCE4-mixer (which was likely the program I confused with ALSA mixer) doesn't work anymore. dmesg shows several messages like

Code: Select all

[4537.581479] xfce4-mixer[6309]: segfault at 28 ip 00007f268662b99d sp 00007fff88510080 error 4 in libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.22[7f2686583000+42c000]
Could that be the error described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1246491 and https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10383 and maybe here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/326441? They mention that the bug is fixed in Debian testing and in Linux Mint. What should I do?

2. ALSA Mixer started from terminal works. Volume adjustment works but I can't hear anything.

2. Pulse shows sound output, reacts to ALSA mixer changes but I still can't hear anything.

Should I try getting XFCE4-mixer to work or should I give up on it and concentrate on the other tools? Is XFCE4-mixer disabling my sound output? Can I somehow get the fixes made for Debian/Ubuntu(Mint or can I deinstall it?

This guy http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... ixer#p5230 seems to have the same problem. But on my system I can switch ALSA mixer in terminal from [Pulse] to my sound devices (analog and hdmi). I've read http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1537 too but I don't understand much of it. Why purge Pulse if XFCE mixer crashes?

solyd4u

Re: Several sound problems

Postby solyd4u » 04 Mar 2014 15:53

I have nearly the same problem here.Plugging in the headphones-audio disabled.When i open the mixer and click on the master,headphones and speakers to open -sound works.When i unplug the headphones the mixer goes to disable the sound,so no sound on the speakers.Master,headphones and speaker are disabled everytime i switch from headphones to speakers and vise versa.Seems to me the mixer doesn't remember the settings.

ilu

Re: Several sound problems

Postby ilu » 04 Mar 2014 16:29

Hm, your situation sounds different. I didn't switch and plug anything and I don't want to. Headphones are plugged into the rear and speakers into the front (vice versa would be ok too but for some reason doesn 't work under windows) . I want both to work simultaneously like it does under windows. Under windows I can also choose one sound channel for the headphone and another for the speakers but that would just be icing.
I haven't worked on the mic upto now...

ilu

Re: Several sound problems - bug?

Postby ilu » 05 Mar 2014 14:35

I'm feeling bad about pushing this but could anybody maybe have a look whether the segfault message indicates that a bug about xfce4-mixer is involved?
If that is the case I could find out how to install the fix for that from debian-testing. But I wouldn't want to mess with the ressources if that is not necessary.
Fixing the bug might fix the whole issue. And maybe afterwards I could try to figure out the rest myself.

ilu

Re: Several sound problems - bug?

Postby ilu » 24 Mar 2014 16:50

I still can't figure out the xfce4-mixer problem but at least the sound problem seams to be fixed.
I systematically clicked all places where you can mute sound in pulse audio an tried lots of combinations until I found one that worked. There seems to be no indicator whether sound is muted or not - I wasn't able to see it. Only try and error worked.

No idea why somebody programs an interface where the mute switches always have a red cross over it no matter if the switch is turned on or off ...

Return to “Hardware”