Update problems for Nvidia Go 7400 [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
HugoBruno

Update problems for Nvidia Go 7400 [SOLVED]

Postby HugoBruno » 16 Apr 2014 04:03

Before identffying an issue, I congratulate the team for an excellent Upgrade. Long, but perfect. At least, perfect for a Toshiba relatively new and with Intel components

I also tried the update in an older laptop, a VAIO SZ430n. This April update did not recognize the Nvidia Geforce Go 7400 at its 1280 x 800 resolution, thus using only a centered portion of the screen.

I ran the Device Manager, found that a VESA driver was being used, and opted for a Nvidia legacy driver. The system collapsed, and a full reinstallation seems now in order. I cannot get a workable screen.

The January update did not pose any problem with the Nvidia resolution. Perhaps I should had tried the Nouveau otion presented by the Device Manager. Too late now!

Shall I restart the whole process, perhaps with the January iso, then the current update and then ... Nouveau rather than VESA or the Nvidia legacy?

ScottQuier

Re: Update problems for Nvidia Go 7400

Postby ScottQuier » 16 Apr 2014 11:05

Check out this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2908

What I would do is to un-install the Nvidia driver (steps 1 through 3 of the link above) which should leave you with a bootable system running the nouveau driver.

Once you get there, you may want to continue playing with getting the Nvidia driver working (the rest of the tutorial) or may not. With that card, if you're not playing games or editing/watching video, the nouveau driver is usually more than sufficient.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

HugoBruno

Re: Update problems for Nvidia Go 7400 [SOLVED]

Postby HugoBruno » 16 Apr 2014 11:21

Thank you all for most informative and extremely quick replies.

I have marked the issue as "SOLVED", even though I did not try it because I had already nuked the installation! :twisted:

Again, congrats to the project team. Excellent update, even if some legacy cards are left behind or mishandled by Vesa :twisted

greywolf

Re: Update problems for Nvidia Go 7400 [SOLVED]

Postby greywolf » 20 Apr 2014 23:46

HugoBruno wrote:
.............I have marked the issue as "SOLVED", even though I did not try it because I had already nuked the installation! :twisted: .............
Well, there are a number of people in the world who still think "nuking" everything is a "solution?? :roll: Not necessary anymore , the "superbugs" are going to get us all in the end!! :)

Oh, sorry; OT wrong context?! ;)

greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

Return to “Hardware”